Debunking 2012

Moonwalker

Reaction score
We already have survived so many, no, each announced apocalypses. We'll also survive the next announced one with relatively huge certainty. Just remember the year 2000. It was not just the year of the one and only final apocalypses, it was also the year of the global computer crash, following an international financial crisis and a total collapse of our industries and governmental systems. And of course, who else should have prophesied that if not Nostradamus, the king of prophecies. He knew just e-ve-ry-thing...

But one thing was funny to me on 01.01.2000. A lot of TV channels/jounalists announced that "the new century has begun". And amazingly a lot of people still believe that slight miscalculation until today.

Anyway, the next apocalypse-window is in 2012? Nice. I can't wait to badmouth it, and I will start to do so on the announced day already :)

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
It will be the UNANNOUNCED apocalypse that will get us.;)

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Oh god... And now a "serious" movie about the bloody thing... *facepalm*

These kind of things make me loose faith in humanity...

StarLost

Reaction score
Geez guys. How about a little research before you have the normally well-informed denizens of Orbiter confused with the rest of the Great Unwashed.

Nibiru, the supposed Planet X, is mainly from Zachariah Stichins questionable interpretations of Babylonian/Chaldean/Mesopotamian astronomical scripts already describing the bodies of the solar system out to and including Uranus and Neptune. Nibiru, not necessarily being in a highly elliptical orbit but a very high inclination orbit, is supposed to pass between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. It has been searched for for a long time ... no success. Perturbations in the orbit of Neptune and Uranus were accounted for when we finally determined an accurate mass for each ... by passing satellites close by.

Not that Stichin was necessarily wrong. Other reputable translations do indicate that Neptune and Uranus were known to the Mesopotamians, thousands of years before the 20th century CE. Food for thought.

Nemesis, is the supposed "Dark Sun", sister star to our sun. There are no gravitational anomalies to suggest its existence. Even a brown dwarf sister to our sun would have been discovered by now.

Want to make a suggestion about a possible dark matter object? Just might bear out the predictions in the Man-Kzin Wars series. No worse fiction than anything else put forward to date.

As for 05 May 2012? Again based on questionable interpretations of the derived end of the current epoch of the Mayan calendar. Since we still have not worked out all of the symbols in the Mayan glyphs yet, what is the authority?

"Predictions" of apocalypse almost always seems based on someone's attempt to extort valuables from the ignorant masses, or attempts at control by fanatical religionists. There have been many. Many seem to end up being the reasons for new sects to be formed (Mormonism and Seventh Day Adventists come to mind ... don't flame or cry to a moderator, look it up). In the end, in the paraphrased words of Heinlein, it is no sillier theology than any other.

Best way to discuss it? Over copious amounts of flavoured ethanol or your favourite mixture of blue smoke. Always entertaining.

flaugher

Reaction score
I love this stuff. The more "end of the world" scenarios, the better as far as I'm concerned. The problem will come if reputable (or at least popular) religious leaders start touting it. Look at what a few radical leaders offering "prizes in Heaven" have done to the Muslim faith. I don't think Rick Warren will get on board, but what about Pat Robertson? I also understand that the Mormons are going through a split right now with about half their numbers believing the end is almost here and getting ready to move back to Missouri. If THAT happens, ohhhhh, Katie bar the door.

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
Zombies, it's got to be zombies,from SPACE!!! What about that one astroid that supposed to pass by in 2012?

Procyon

Reaction score
There's nothing to debunk. There's nothing there at all. The Y2K problem was more real than this because I had to work on it for 2 years and barely was able to save my company although no one knows it except me and the other team members. 2012 has no basis whatsoever.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
There's nothing to debunk. There's nothing there at all. The Y2K problem was more real than this because I had to work on it for 2 years and barely was able to save my company although no one knows it except me and the other team members. 2012 has no basis whatsoever.

Sounds like that job sucks. You save the company and noone knows about it? I'd be asking for some pay increases. :p