garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I don't mean to sound stupid, but wouldn't we have to eat on the way there?

And breath. And remove CO2. Minimal consumables are food, water and C02 scrubbers. You can also take oxygen candles and other things.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
And breath. And remove CO2. Minimal consumables are food, water and C02 scrubbers. You can also take oxygen candles and other things.

Mabye bring a dozen or so hydroponics modules?
the plants can give food, clear CO2 and produce oxygen. Then your down to just water.

IMS has several hydroponics modules you can just slap on, and making a UCGO hydroponics cargo wouldn't be that hard (unless you make it unpack into a full farm module, then it's harder)

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
Here's my idea for the crewed vehicle.

Plan.jpg

The truss that holds the lander and consumables module should look something like that on NASA's mars transfer vehicle (which I cannot draw on a paint:lol:):

Truss.png

I'm still working on the other vehicles.

:tiphat:

Mattyv

Reaction score
It uses some of the default IMS parts, so I'm going come up with a list of what needs to be modeled, along with what it needs to look like, in the next few days.

I'm also looking into how to navigate with the VASIMR drives. I have done the delta-v calculations and I know it does have the delta-v to reach Jupiter, so that's good.:thumbup:

Finally, were probably going to need one or two more ships (the designs of which I'm still working on). What would be some good names?

PS the landers are still not designed yet.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
My two cents:

Where are the radiators?

The surface cargo could go with a cargo ship. (Is this what you mean with two or more ships?)

I think the lander must be docked on the edge of the ship, where is the hab module.

About delta-v: I'm not sure, but the delta-v of a constant thrust trip must be greater than that of a hohmann transfer.

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
What would be some good names?
Depends on what kind of ships you're talking about.
For ferries and landers, the theme so far has been Greek mythological figures, hence Chronus and Hermes

For interplanetary ships, we've been using "journey" type names (Odyssey, Discovery), but I'd like to useNew World explorers from here out. Let's just try not to use ones that would bother anyone. For example, Pizzaro is off the table:p

Mattyv

Reaction score
My two cents:

Where are the radiators?

The surface cargo could go with a cargo ship. (Is this what you mean with two or more ships?)

I think the lander must be docked on the edge of the ship, where is the hab module.

About delta-v: I'm not sure, but the delta-v of a constant thrust trip must be greater than that of a hohmann transfer.

To answer your points:

1. It seems I forgot to label them (thanks for catching them), but the blue trapezoid things are not solar panels, but radiators. I've done calculations on their needed size.

2. You are correct. Two cargo landers will carry the cargo to the surface, arriving on another VASIMR-spacecraft carrier. The lander here will just be a crew lander, carrying the crew and maybe a bit of cargo.

3. Not quite sure I understand what you mean by this:

4. I haven't figured out exactly how to do a VASIMR trajectory, but this definitely has enough for a Holmann, with a crap-load to spare. The attractive thing about VASIMR here is that, although it takes months to come up to speed, the Isp can be ridiculously high.

TacMac3000 said:
Depends on what kind of ships you're talking about.
For ferries and landers, the theme so far has been Greek mythological figures, hence Chronus and Hermes

For interplanetary ships, we've been using "journey" type names (Odyssey, Discovery), but I'd like to use New World explorers from here out. Let's just try not to use ones that would bother anyone. For example, Pizzaro is off the table

Yeah that would definitely be of the table:lol:

I'm thinking "Amerigo Vespucci" for reasons that will become clear

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
For interplanetary ships, we've been using "journey" type names (Odyssey, Discovery), but I'd like to useNew World explorers from here out. Let's just try not to use ones that would bother anyone. For example, Pizzaro is off the table:p

Cabeza de Vaca is cool, but it doesn't sound good for a ship.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

3. Not quite sure I understand what you mean by this

Forget about it, now I understood the diagram =p

The lander is docked to a truss and the hab modules are on the other side of the truss.

Tacolev

Reaction score
One thing to note with a low-thrust transfer is that the crew will require the hab to be paired in a centrifuge since, unlike the mars DRM crew ship you have posted, this vehicle must spend most of the trip aligned with the velocity vector and cannot tumble to generate artificial gravity.

N6NdQ.jpg

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Cabeza de Vaca is cool, but it doesn't sound good for a ship.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Forget about it, now I understood the diagram =p

The lander is docked to a truss and the hab modules are on the other side of the truss.

For a bit of cultural change, how about the Zheng He?

Tacolev

Reaction score
Not to be too political but the "Classical European Explorers" naming theme is pretty played out. Since that seems to be the consensus on the piloted vessel though maybe for one of the cargo ships we could go for someone who wasn't a westerner, like [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He"]Zheng He[/ame]?

Also as far as european explorers are concerned, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Ericson"]Leif Ericson[/ame] could probably get some more love.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Heh, Penguin and I seem to be on the same page. :lol:

Mattyv

Reaction score
One thing to note with a low-thrust transfer is that the crew will require the hab to be paired in a centrifuge since, unlike the mars DRM crew ship you have posted, this vehicle must spend most of the trip aligned with the velocity vector and cannot tumble to generate artificial gravity.

N6NdQ.jpg

I have thought about that, but the VASIMR will not be thrusting the whole time and so when its not thrusting, the spacecraft will be a tumbling pigeon.

Last edited:

Tacolev

Reaction score
I have thought about that, but the VASIMR will not be thrusting the whole time and so when its not thrusting, the spacecraft will be a tumbling pigeon.:)

Looking at your post above it looks like you're suggesting putting the thing on a hohmann transfer, which I would imagine would be done in "high thrust low ISP" mode? For that mission profile Hall thrusters might be more effective than VASMIRs, not the least because the tankage volume and dry mass can be lower for the xenon tanks.

A related article: http://hdl.handle.net/2060/20120001636

And note that using advanced concentrically-nested thrusters one can have even better specific thrust at megawatt ranges: http://pepl.engin.umich.edu/pdf/IEPC-2011-246.pdf

Mattyv

Reaction score
Looking at your post above it looks like you're suggesting putting the thing on a hohmann transfer, which I would imagine would be done in "high thrust low ISP" mode? For that mission profile Hall thrusters might be more effective than VASMIRs, not the least because the tankage volume and dry mass can be lower for the xenon tanks.

A related article: http://hdl.handle.net/2060/20120001636

And note that using advanced concentrically-nested thrusters one can have even better specific thrust at megawatt ranges: http://pepl.engin.umich.edu/pdf/IEPC-2011-246.pdf

Well, I'm planning for a fast transfer instead, so as to save time

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Both Zheng He and Leif Ericson are great suggestions!

Or a homage to a guy related to exporation (bot not an explorer) like...Jules Verne.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
These are all some excellent suggestions:) but I think we should stick with Francis Drake for the mothership. For the landers, how about Calypso and Perseus? (assuming we have two?:p)