Discussion Deep Space Gateway and Transport Plan

richfororbit

Reaction score
Hi,

I found this report quite late, there is this clip which displays the summary of the plan.

A plan for a lunar orbital craft, and a booster section to take an MPCV to Mars. This is as close as have to an actual mission roadmap. It does remind me of the first plan nearly thirty years back that I had seen in the film Mars Underground, that was insane!

Elon Mask stated on social media when this plan was put out, that the budget has declined a little, as we know some missions have been cancelled, and all that.

I did read about Robert Zubrin's view on the lunar orbital mission plan, and disagreeing with it strongly.;)

For those who have read through it, some of it or just got the summary, what are the preliminary thoughts? It is interesting, I'm sure that is the way it would go, similar to a mission to the Moon. Its a mission here and these are the steps to it, and that is the goal. It won't be a plan for a very long stay, not that I think that is realistic. Mask would need to prove something to convince me, that the past is the past. I'm sure a lot of us.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think he mean Elon Musk.

I am willing to help work on a deep space vessel/gateway

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Hmm, so I guess everybody is waiting for Mask's plan?
Well.. it's going to be the same as the moon plan..

Can we get a human to Mars and back safely and alive - Haven't seen a thorough, well thought out plan yet ;)

Just a lot of Hype and Gung-Ho so far..:rofl:

I don't read the newpaper/net obituaries so I might miss it

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I made a version of the Gateway station, and of the solar electric tug as a docking target for the MPCV Version 14. To have some fun, the solar electric tug (SE) has engines. It is only a cfg-file vessel, the thrust is exaggerated by a factor of 100. Not sure if you could reach Mars with it. ;)

picture.php

picture.php

barrygolden

Reaction score
speaking with an old friend at JSC, now head of the JSC's science dept told me that the Gateway Station is high on NASA's next big manned project. I showed him gattis's " Eagle " craft and he said that was a lot like Orion 608, made for long term deep space ops.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Yes Musk, not Mask. Reminds me of that film Mask.

I haven't touched Orbiter in a lot time, interesting images there Mr drake. I was reminded of the addon by gattispilot or put together that is last year, Pathfinder. As it is twenty years since the mission.

Yes, i imagine it is NASA's goal, just patience, and the engineers will get the crafts built. I found out late about the first launch of the rocket, so it won't be next year.