Programming Question Develop add-ons!

ToTheMoon

Reaction score
So I've been playing Orbiter for a while now, about a year, but I really want to make add-ons, how can I accomplish this.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So I've been playing Orbiter for a while now, about a year, but I really want to make add-ons, how can I accomplish this.

First of all... by learning to use the search function of the forum. There are already multiple threads about how and where to start.

http://orbiter-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

And then by getting things started with a good idea first, and then looking for ways to turn this idea into reality. Divide the big unsolvable problems into small solvable problems. If the problems are too big, you are not yet done with dividing into smaller challenges.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Couple of different types of add-ons

Surface Bases
-easiest to start with, just need to write a config file & maybe add in a few custom meshes

UMMU/UCGO specific addons
-Also very simple, but might require a bit better modelling skills

Custom Vessel
-Harder, but depends on which route you take. If you want to write something that works quickly, use spacecraft3, but its very old, and likely will be broken soon with new features in the latest Orbiter Beta. Other options could be writing a dll, but that will take a fair amount of time to learn properly

I would highly reccomend the first option. Learn how to model using Blender, and create a nice little surface base

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you code in C++? If not, that's pretty important to study so you can understand lots of the open source add-ons here. (If you have done Java but not C++, then you are 80% of the way there ... it's similar).

One plea: if you release any code (it usually goes to OrbitHangar.com), then please also release your source code. There's nothing more sad than an awesome MFD or add-on that's dead due to the author moving on and leaving no crumbs behind for those that follow.

BTW - welcome to the Forum, and we can never have too many developers around here!