General Question dgiv life support backup and power

zeldafan156

Reaction score
hay i just wanted to know this, is there a point to having the backup life support switches on? what does it do if the primary life is already active. and what is the emergency power for, like if your in deep space and you run out of battery power(how?) and you so happen to turn your ship off?. thanks:)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As far as I know, they do nothing extra under normal circumstances other than consume more electrical power (current A x voltage V.) I've noticed that if you leave the entire system off for a few hours and then kick it back in, values will return to their normal levels faster with both main and backup systems active.

For the most part, it's a good practise to leave them off when they aren't needed, but activate them at critical times such as launch and reentry. Under emergency power, do not use both systems as it will shorten the fuel cell's lifetime drastically. (Of course, AFAIK there is no possibility of APU or generator failure which would necessitate use of the emergency fuel cell...)

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Forgive my noobness, but what exactly does AFAIK mean? This forum is the only place I've ever seen that used.