Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If it weren't for the maniquins on the deck, I'd say it was real.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Question for owners of this sim. How big are the various modules? I've currently gotten the free version and just picked up a 500GB M.2 SSD. After moving the main module and several other games over I'll have ~200GB left. Is that going to be enough to pick up A-10, F-18 and F-14 plus some maps?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Question for owners of this sim. How big are the various modules? I've currently gotten the free version and just picked up a 500GB M.2 SSD. After moving the main module and several other games over I'll have ~200GB left. Is that going to be enough to pick up A-10, F-18 and F-14 plus some maps?

Not sure about the maps, but the A-10C should fit there well.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
This is the size of my DCS folder (143GB) with the default Caucasus map, Persian Gulf map and Nevada map, in addition to the A-10C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, F-14B, Mi-8 and UH-1H installed.

Attachments

• Cattura.PNG
    Cattura.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 16

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am new to DCS but I read a lot complains about AI behaviour in the game.
Could this be the “cure” for a realistic dogfight in DCS (And maybe for Orbiter missions in the future)?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
After almost 10 years of honourable service I finally retired my X52 Pro HOTAS and purchased a Thrustmaster Warthog one. I can see why it costs so much more than other units, but for that price it better also last 10 years. :lol:

yoda1952

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Just an FYI on my experience: I had the Thrustmaster Warthog. Twice the throttle lost its marbles. The first time I was able to buy a replacement board and revived the throttle. The second time I put it back in its box and got an X56. This happened over some 10 years of use. I hope you have better luck. :)

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
An Eagle Dynamics developer has been extradited to the U.S. and arrested for the unauthorized export of military aircraft manuals.
https://www.standard.net/news/milit...cle_b7055cb8-d770-5b23-bf66-785104ff5152.html

Hoping it doesn't put a stop to ED's great sim work, but this is absolutely illegal no matter how old or simple the information in the manuals is. All technical data related to military systems is subject to ITAR controls and is not releasable to other nations or foreign nationals without an export license. With Russia being embargoed, it's that much more strict.

The U.S. man who sold the manuals, however, has gotten off the hook despite committing essentially the same crime.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The U.S. man who sold the manuals, however, has gotten off the hook despite committing essentially the same crime.

Thats a pretty strange way to interpret the law... usually the one who sells is as guilty as the one who buys, unless the one who bought the manual had been under the impression that he legally acquired the manual.

Did ITAR again fry some brain?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
An Eagle Dynamics developer has been extradited to the U.S. and arrested for the unauthorized export of military aircraft manuals.
https://www.standard.net/news/milit...cle_b7055cb8-d770-5b23-bf66-785104ff5152.html

Hoping it doesn't put a stop to ED's great sim work, but this is absolutely illegal no matter how old or simple the information in the manuals is. All technical data related to military systems is subject to ITAR controls and is not releasable to other nations or foreign nationals without an export license. With Russia being embargoed, it's that much more strict.

From what I've seen this occurred some time ago, it's just that the trial date is coming up soon.

It may help explain the stricter new rule on the official forums regarding linking to such documents (despite them being very easily found) that has been in place for some time now.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

And here's the official statement: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3910712&postcount=1

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like ED really threw Oleg under the bus. Which is at least good for keeping the company from facing some intense legal wrath of the U.S. government.
I don't really believe they only use documents intended for public release, even if they get it from the public/internet.
Information does not have to be classified to be restricted. There is a lot of information that can legally be disseminated among U.S persons with little other restriction, but it is still illegal to export. Both "technical data" and "export" are defined deliberately broadly.

From what I can tell, the arrest is very recent. But the alleged exports were years ago. Oleg couldn't be extradited from Russia, but he visited Georgia (the country) who agreed to send him to the U.S.

And yes, I do believe the guy selling the manual is guilty of violating the same laws for his part in this. It's somewhat understandable that a random civilian might think that such documents in his possession are no longer restricted. His ignorance may have won him favor with a judge, but I don't believe the letter of the law cares.

Last edited:

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The article mentions several aircraft. I have the entire A-10C manual printed out and in several (very thick) binders.

I'm assuming the issue is not with the possession but the fact the info was "exported"? So as long as I don't mail them to anyone out of country, it's completely legal?

Sorry if I'm missing the important parts. I just had a molar and neighboring wisdom tooth pulled so I'm a little out of it from the pain killers...

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The article mentions several aircraft. I have the entire A-10C manual printed out and in several (very thick) binders.

I'm assuming the issue is not with the possession but the fact the info was "exported"? So as long as I don't mail them to anyone out of country, it's completely legal?

Sorry if I'm missing the important parts. I just had a molar and neighboring wisdom tooth pulled so I'm a little out of it from the pain killers...

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
It really depends on the exact wording of the latest distribution statement pertaining to those documents.
Maybe parts of it ARE classified, or maybe they have been declassified. The manual itself could be marked contrary to the latest guidance.
It seems the disclosure statement may require "military use only". I'm not sure of the enforceability of that today, but that alone could exclude use by even U.S. persons if they are civilians.
If documents were unclassified and did not have restrictions for official/military use only, hypothetically one could distribute them to any U.S. person (citizen or certain non-citizen statuses). For obvious reasons, it's pretty common for technical documents to have restricted distribution that keeps it within a company (e.g. Lockheed Martin) or the military. Very few documents get through the bureaucracy of official approval for public release, and the ones that do generally contain very few details about the systems they describe.

I strongly suspect that the DCS sim manuals are completely fine. The smuggled documents at issue are authentic technical manuals.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
And we have a targeting pod on the Hornet now:
lKqtUq5.jpg

Additionally, the official trailer of the upcoming F-16 module:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
B]DCS: F-16 Viper Academic Video #1: Cockpit Tour
Here is the first of the much-anticipated academic video series by executive producer Matt “Wags” Wagner. Enjoy this video that details the office for the DCS World Viper pilot. This video will give you a good idea of what is where and how detailed this new module will be. This orientation will be the basis for later Viper academic videos. It has been checked over by real-world Viper pilots to make sure you are getting the best Viper experience-to-date.

YouTube™ Video: DCS: F-16C Viper - Cockpit Orientation

[ame]https://youtu.be/ojj_IRQ-aLE[/ame]