Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What do you think about this one ? I don't have the money right now, but it looks like a good investement for any flight simulation, no ? :hmm:

25829.jpg

Maybe for X-mas :p

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What do you think about this one ? I don't have the money right now, but it looks like a good investement for any flight simulation, no ? :hmm:

Maybe for X-mas :p

I think it is a bit too fancy... the display thing looks like a waste of money to me, since I would usually have a big problem reading what is below my arm.

That product family here is a nice cheaper alternative to the Warthog, but still expensive

http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Combatstick-Programmable-Functions/dp/B00006B84W/ref=pd_sim_e_8

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think it is a bit too fancy...

Yes, I was also thinking that there were actually a bit too much functions and buttons on a small surface, might be inconvenient.

They have a "simplified" version, also less expensive. More futuristic look.

12359.jpg

Still, I don't like too much the design of the joystick, especially the upper part. Any idea in a realistic price range (< 150€) ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Still, I don't like too much the design of the joystick, especially the upper part. Any idea in a realistic price range (< 150€) ?

Hard to find much there, that is really something good for DCS as well. Separated throttle would be a must have, yaw channel is rather optional. A triple coolie hat setup on the flight stick is a good feature, but not mandatory.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I was also thinking that there were actually a bit too much functions and buttons on a small surface, might be inconvenient.

They have a "simplified" version, also less expensive. More futuristic look.

12359.jpg

That's the one I have. I highly recommend it for precision and programmability, as long as you don't mind the bright blue LEDs.

On my first Win7 64 machine I could adjust the LED brightness down to zero, turning them off. The latest versions of the software have broken the functionality to the point the profile software doesn't even recognize the stick, only the Pro Flight Yoke or Rudder Pedals. MFD on the throttle is also no longer functional for anything other than telling you what stick you're using. It's something to do with firmware in older iterations of the X52 is what I've read.

picture.php

Looks like Amazon.UK has it for 145 euro new, even less used.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...18908?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=X52

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

If I can get my Xbox 360 to sell for what I want out of it, this will be the next object of my affection.... *drool*
http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381610695&sr=8-1&keywords=X65

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I must say I'm a bit surprised that the offer is so limited. Must be a limited number of flight sims fans around the world.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I must say I'm a bit surprised that the offer is so limited. Must be a limited number of flight sims fans around the world.

Yes, pretty much, at least those people who also care about their peripherals.

I think for such precision instruments, it might even turn out to be more economic to sell kits for self-assembly and customization.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If you're interested in the X65, make sure you actually try one before buying. The "force sensing" thing isn't for everyone.

Really, the HOTAS Warthog is far and away the best you can buy right now. The X65F is a distant second.

E

ex-orbinaut

So it seems we got quite a bunch of pilots here. We should try a multiplayer session one day! :)

:lol: I would be delighted to be shot down, but I am still on the SU-25T Weapons Conversion Unit! However, it does raise a question from me...

Is "buddy" laser designation possible in DCS multiplayer, as in (perhaps) a hovering helo designating a target and the aircraft just delivering the weapon and turning away?

On that note, I am particularly interested in the possibilities of "Combined Arms"(?).

Edit : just went through the Su-25T "Unguided Bombs" training mission. Missed the targets as much as I could. Had to save the honor with the 30mm internal gun, which allowed me 3 kills. Landed safely, but the real objective of the mission (using unguided bombs) is a complete failure !

Yeah, there is a great deal to absorb regarding the weapons, more so having to learn the non-NATO designations for weapons I used to be familiar with from my old Harpoon playing days. I have also wasted a couple of flights mis-pickling targets, like executing a well rippled drop of Boosted BeTABs 3 km short of the runway! On a couple of occasions now I have given up the moment for my DCS flight to researching the weapons themselves and NOT flying. Again, the FM is a bit sparing on these details, focusing more on delivery techniques (which is fair enough, really).

All the best. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you're interested in the X65, make sure you actually try one before buying. The "force sensing" thing isn't for everyone.

Really, the HOTAS Warthog is far and away the best you can buy right now. The X65F is a distant second.

That would be my choice were it not for the price tag. Unfortunately I don't see myself having the funds to go that route for quite some time. If I can sell my 360 however (amd cut some other corners), I'll just be able to swing the X65 in a couple months.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There's always the Logitech G940, if you're want more features for less money but don't mind a stick that might have a few problems. You can find them for pretty deep discounts now.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That would be my choice were it not for the price tag. Unfortunately I don't see myself having the funds to go that route for quite some time. If I can sell my 360 however (amd cut some other corners), I'll just be able to swing the X65 in a couple months.

I have the luxury that I don't need to worry much about the funding (Above average income, low expenses, no debts - austerity works, really :rofl:).

I only have to fear the wrath of Mrs Urwumpe. :lol:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Got 2/8 on the unguided bombs training this time. One of the hardest things is to locate the targets. The SHKVAL TV system helps to search, but it doesn't tell you where they are. No air/ground radar is understandable, as it would make you a sitting duck for any missle, but well, you really need to "photograph" in your mind the terrain setup around the targets. And those are kindly stopped.

Anyway hitting armored vehicles with unguided bombs seems a little silly to me. Rockets seem to be a far better option, I'd keep bombs to attack factories or other stationary assets like AAA sites. Now of course those "FAB-series" bombs look super-cheap, seems to be a quantity over quality doctrine ! Basically it's WWII stuff...

Curious about the TV-guided missles, I'm going to try that next.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also just did the SU-25T unguided bombs tutorial mission. Best "score" was 5/8 with the bombs and the remaining three with the cannon.

I watched the training video a couple times, and also read the manual. I noticed the "gotcha" that's not called out anywhere else that you can only "ripple quantity 1" on the innermost two pylons on either side--to prevent the airplane from becoming too unbalanced it won't let you do it for the others.

I also noticed a couple things that might be bugs in the SU-25T HUD--at the very least, there are a couple differences between what's shown in the tutorial video/manual and what's actually in game.
- The CCIP indicator (the thing that shows where your bombs will hit) is constrained to a much smaller area of the HUD in game compared to the training video and manual. This makes dive bombing a lot more difficult since you need a steeper angle and have a lot less time to react.
- The HUD loadout display is only a couple of bars on the HUD instead of the full array of numbers shown in the training video and manual. This makes it a lot harder to know what's currently selected.

Does anyone know if these are known issues, or if there are any fixes for them I can do? I didn't see anything on the ED forums.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The CCIP indicator (the thing that shows where your bombs will hit) is constrained to a much smaller area of the HUD in game compared to the training video and manual. This makes dive bombing a lot more difficult since you need a steeper angle and have a lot less time to react.

I'm note sure but that might be related to speed. In the tutorial, they say that you should be between "620 and 650 km/h" during the bombing run. Which is fast, and it allows the bombs to have a more horizontal trajectory.

The HUD loadout display is only a couple of bars on the HUD instead of the full array of numbers shown in the training video and manual. This makes it a lot harder to know what's currently selected.

The "fix" here is rather simple : you have to memorize the cyrillic symbols displayed on the lower-right of the HUD. They actually give you the name of the weapon. Maybe you can print a reference card with the russian HUD acronyms and the description of the weapon next to it. With time you'll probably don't need that card anymore.

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
In my case, replace "pilot" by "moving target" :lol: Given everything there is to learn, I don't think I could be operational before a couple of months.

Edit : just went through the Su-25T "Unguided Bombs" training mission. Missed the targets as much as I could. Had to save the honor with the 30mm internal gun, which allowed me 3 kills. Landed safely, but the real objective of the mission (using unguided bombs) is a complete failure !

We don't have to do a difficult mission, we could just open a shooting range server, and then lets do whatever you like (e.g. attacking ground targets, air defence, or just practice formation flying :)).

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There's always the Logitech G940, if you're want more features for less money but don't mind a stick that might have a few problems. You can find them for pretty deep discounts now.

Link to the discounted price? So far haven't found it anywhere for less than the same price as the X65. From some suppliers, it's even double the price of the Thrustmaster :blink:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm note sure but that might be related to speed. In the tutorial, they say that you should be between "620 and 650 km/h" during the bombing run. Which is fast, and it allows the bombs to have a more horizontal trajectory.
Speed doesn't matter, the CCIP is still more constrained than in the training vid. It's still usable but a lot harder.

The "fix" here is rather simple : you have to memorize the cyrillic symbols displayed on the lower-right of the HUD. They actually give you the name of the weapon. Maybe you can print a reference card with the russian HUD acronyms and the description of the weapon next to it. With time you'll probably don't need that card anymore.

Dumb bombs all just say "b" there, not the actual name. If I've got more than one type of dumb bomb equipped it can be hard to tell the difference.

Thanks anyway--I'll post on the ED forums with the questions.

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Link to the discounted price? So far haven't found it anywhere for less than the same price as the X65. From some suppliers, it's even double the price of the Thrustmaster :blink:

Fry's: http://www.frys.com/product/5996664?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Looks like they're clearing out all remaining inventory, and it's only available in store. If you can find one, it might be very worth the price. Make sure you read up on the various problems, though, to see how much they'd bother you.

Personally, I'm hoping some place will have a holiday sale on the Warthog...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Dumb bombs all just say "b" there, not the actual name. If I've got more than one type of dumb bomb equipped it can be hard to tell the difference.

True, that's not very convenient, but I think it works that way in the real SU-25. I think they put forward compatibility over the rest, so you could strap an old stockpile of rusted WWII bombs under the wings if you had too.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, DCS World has been making me think a lot of A-10 Cuba!, which I played a lot as a kid--it was really my first flight sim. Turns out that for its time it was actually quite realistic.

Except that apparently, the A-10 can't carry AGM-88 HARM missiles like it could in the game. So, everything I learned as a kid about how to handle SAM sites no longer applies....

Also, I've found a copy of the game, but it doesn't work well in Win7 (cockpit textures are all wacky) and XP Mode doesn't have the right graphics drivers for it. Looks like I need to dig up one of my old XP tablets floating around and see if that can run it...