Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

vlad32768

Reaction score
Thanks Richy, great fun was had.

The Mig 21 FPS seemed to be very bad near ground detail, low down, making it practically impossible to land.

I managed to land MiG-21 perfectly at the end of the session. FPS was OK.
It seems that two or more MiG-21s on the same airfield will cause performance drop, or MiG21 + Sabre etc.
However, the developers promised that performance issues will be fixed soon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But I did get Urwumpe doing a sand-speeder impression with the F-86. Don't know how you did that. :) I'll post it sometime.

What did I do? :rofl:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Screen_141004_184422.jpg

Richy flyby

Screen_141004_184659.jpg

Following the KC

Screen_141004_184803.jpghttp:

Screen_141004_184822.jpg

Screen_141004_190243.jpg

Following Urwumpe

Screen_141004_190534.jpg

Richy again

Screen_141004_190832.jpg

Screen_141004_191110.jpg

Don't now how that happened :p

Screen_141004_193028.jpg

Screen_141004_193130.jpg

Fast response to the emergency landing

Screen_141004_194718.jpg

Vlad leaving Kutaisi

Screen_141004_195727.jpg

Vikhr training

Screen_141004_202054.jpg

All AAA down! (Or I'd be dead now)

Screen_141004_203124.jpg

Screen_141004_204901.jpg

Screen_141004_205831.jpg

Ka-50s engaging the trucks

Screen_141004_211358.jpg

Nick with a "payload"

Screen_141004_215014.jpg

Screen_141004_220045.jpg

Screen_141004_220744.jpg

BMP-3s are good at this

Screen_141004_231334.jpg

Richy in a Mustang (not visible: Nick's Mustang)

Screen_141004_232146.jpg

Trying to return to formation with Richy's P-51... perfect hit

Screen_141004_232818.jpg

One final unstable approach... and of course I had to pay for it...

Screen_141004_232820.jpg

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
Was a really nice session yesterday. Even less crashes than other times. ;-)

Some impressions:

ATC gave me takeoff clearance. But it was better to just sit tight:

Following the KC on it's takeoff run. Was not alone:

Supervising ground traffic:

Semi-Successfull autorotation training. After landing, the anti-torque system mysteriously stopped working:

After flying really low over a train, the Huey was then much more aerodynamic:

Followed by SAMs:

Fun with the Shark:
It's quite challanging to keep always an eye on the leader, and still search for treats.

Sammy, was it you flying the Eagle with a broken nosecone supersonic?
I guess the aerodynamic forces would have it tear appart. ;-)

And Sammy, sorry for the mid air at the end. I was looking out for you, then checking the F10 map, and looking out again, but couldn't make you out. Suddenly jet noise getting extremly fast louder and... a fire ball in the sky. :p

First I thought you did it on purpose, but this was rare case of a classical mid air collision. Actually quite scary, as I'm flying real too. :-/

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
That was me flying without a nose. It wasn't very stable after that. I got onto a runway but the pitch was bouncing around which made me hit the ground hard enough to black out and then come back down blind and blow up.
IIRC I had lost HUD so never knew I was going so fast.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And Sammy, sorry for the mid air at the end. I was looking out for you, then checking the F10 map, and looking out again, but couldn't make you out. Suddenly jet noise getting extremly fast louder and... a fire ball in the sky. :p

First I thought you did it on purpose, but this was rare case of a classical mid air collision. Actually quite scary, as I'm flying real too. :-/

Honestly, I'm the one to blame here :p. I saw you for the whole time and thought I would nicely line up in formation behind you.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu

Will be a free upgrade to existing Flaming Cliffs 3 users, much akin the F-15C. Probably means that a Su-33 with AFM isn't far away.

E

ex-orbinaut

I managed to land MiG-21 perfectly at the end of the session. FPS was OK.
It seems that two or more MiG-21s on the same airfield will cause performance drop, or MiG21 + Sabre etc.
However, the developers promised that performance issues will be fixed soon.

Well, that's good news, 'cause I like that add on. I think my rig might be getting a bit long in the tooth now, also; it is four years old, after all. I have yet to try the Mig 21 on SP with other units, but I suspect it will have some issues. On MP it got progressively "chuggier" the closer it got to the runway, until over the threshold it was progressing in approximately 25 foot steps down the glide path. Hard landing first attempt, disastrous the second attempt.

What did I do? :rofl:

It is here. Like I said before, nowhere near as much as I wanted or thought I had obtained; I bungled the hot keys and consequently missed some excellent sequences of Sammy rocketing some APC's and doing some Vikhrs runs, as well as much more of Fabri and Richy cooperating with the Black Shark, and Vlad's runway beat up at Kobuleti in the Mig. Shame.

That was me flying without a nose. It wasn't very stable after that. I got onto a runway but the pitch was bouncing around which made me hit the ground hard enough to black out and then come back down blind and blow up.
IIRC I had lost HUD so never knew I was going so fast.

That was you? I was too late on the key to film that; it was impressive. BTW, good engagement of my F-86 with your F-15. I don't know what made me look around behind after a dive bomb attempt to see you mirroring my lift vector rather ominously. The hairs on the back of my neck, perhaps. Well held, that stall of yours! :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It is here. Like I said before, nowhere near as much as I wanted or thought I had obtained; I bungled the hot keys and consequently missed some excellent sequences of Sammy rocketing some APC's and doing some Vikhrs runs, as well as much more of Fabri and Richy cooperating with the Black Shark, and Vlad's runway beat up at Kobuleti in the Mig. Shame.

LOOL, I wasn't sure if it was this turn right or the next one, so I decided to turn around this time and got a bit stuck in the landscape... looks like DCS decided that my SUV doesn't need landing gear anymore.

E

ex-orbinaut

.. my SUV ..

:lol: As good as any description for an F-86! Had a bit of time today, so I tried firing those HVAR rockets on a quick sortie.

But the main item on the agenda was that Mig 21. I tried it out as it was on a lower ping (for me) MP server, the 159th, on which I was getting around 130. On Richy's I had been getting around 220. It was still a bit chuggy at times, but seemed better. A major improvement came when I cut the graphic detail down, as I have been running that very high. Main culprits seemed to be clutter/bushes and tree visibility ranges, and the "detail" level on shadows (!?). Then it was quite playable MP.

Went SP after that to try out the ARK navigation system and flew all around the map at 25,000 ft, changing, identifying and tracking stations. Sounds like that might have taken a long time? It didn't, that thing is fast without trying. By the way, this is the add on if you are a switch and knob junky into managing systems from a somewhat complicated and apparently disorganized cockpit layout! Switches and selectors of different kinds to control the same device all over the place. :)

Need to set up a GCI station and intercept a B-52 (a B-58 would be even better, if there was an AI one in DCS!) next session, to do some Cold War stuff with it. Don't know when I will get around to that, but I have been enjoying it today, at any rate.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
a B-58 would be even better, if there was an AI one in DCS!

If somebody would provide the meshes for a proper B-58A for DCS and Orbiter, I would love to code it... the B-58A is a really cool oldtimer... and you could easily fit a multi-stage rocket below it instead of the nuclear bomb/fuel tank module.

(Actually, I already started writing some software requirements specification for such a project... but not much time for working on the paperwork)

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

If somebody would provide the meshes for a proper B-58A for DCS and Orbiter, I would love to code it... the B-58A is a really cool oldtimer... and you could easily fit a multi-stage rocket below it instead of the nuclear bomb/fuel tank module.

(Actually, I already started writing some software requirements specification for such a project... but not much time for working on the paperwork)

Indeed, the aircraft that defined perfection in area ruling. :cheers: I have a book lying around somewhere all about it, with illustrations and drawings. For Orbiter it would be so cool. Don't you find the DCS standards a bit daunting, though, or are you thinking just for an AI?

Looking around just now, there already seems to be a model out, but it is probably "protected". I would love to turn my hand to 3D again and give it a shot (it would give me something useful to do during days away from home, on my new laptop, other than contemplate mass tourist destinations in boredom), but it may take a while to complete and someone would probably beat me to it, doubtless a better model than I would do on Anim8or, also. In any case, if you do intend to do this project, I can give the model a start. I would like to see the B-58 in action, too.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Don't you find the DCS standards a bit daunting, though, or are you thinking just for an AI?

All a matter of project management. The whole Eagle Dynamics team for all their products has still "only" 28 programmers (including DCS:World).

I think that this isn't really a show stopper. Harder is getting the project started and managed properly from the start, so it does not run fast and well for a year and then collides with reality.

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-10-14 at 08:07 PM ----------

Any MP session planned for the weekend?

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
I'm opening the server spontaneously. I wasn't sure if I got back early enough today.

Richy's Pirate Flight School
Password: abc

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I'm 'busy' today watching my school destroy my brother's alma mater in football. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm 'busy' today watching my school destroy my brother's alma mater in football. :p

Same here...

Now we have European Championship qualifiers in football: Poland against Germany.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
That went well for you! :p

I'll upload my recordings of today's session, which has been...interesting: AA hunting first with the Shark, then with the Warthog.

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
Yup, was an intense session. But I have to introduce a respawn timer, otherwise everybody is going to be surprised by suddenly appearing heavy SAM. :p