Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Rearming at FARPS may be impractical in real life, but we don't care about such details :) :
e1NWRWU.jpg

GepGGLV.jpg

And bonus pic:
iJSrMvi.jpg

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
With my 950, I first had trouble, bad FPS, terrible graphic...

But then then I activated the "delayed shading" setting, and global cockpit illumination, and everything was looking good but with bad FPS.

Then I set "Textures" to low and FPS where ok.
The only problem was that in the A-10C copckpit, the lables were blurred.

After downloading "Hourese of War" cockpit, the lables are more or less ok and I'm back in DCS, can fly with ~40 - 60 fps at 75% visibility of trees in the caucasus map :) :thumbup:. Ok, some other settings are medium, some are low, but i's ok to me and I like the graphic now more than before...

I also like that it's much easier now to find targets with the TGP, because I guess the contrast is better and more realistic now.

Now I'm waiting for the F/A18A!!!

The "Horese of War" mod for the A10-C is realy cool! You can find it here:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/files/1562558/

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I doubt my 970 could run 2.5 sufficiently.

For some reason I actually thought 2.0 was already released as a full version, and a month or two ago I uninstalled 1.5 with the intention of installing 2.0. So I currently don't have a working install :(

Maybe I'll download both.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Just give 2.5 a shot, especially since 2.0 is unsupported and I'm not sure you'd be able to download it at all.

I have a 1060, which is very roughly equivalent to a 970. You'll be fine. I actually noticed a performance increase compared to 1.5.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just give 2.5 a shot, especially since 2.0 is unsupported and I'm not sure you'd be able to download it at all.

I have a 1060, which is very roughly equivalent to a 970. You'll be fine. I actually noticed a performance increase compared to 1.5.

I think I'll get a xx70 next year... my GPU might be broken, but I need money for a new car as well. :(

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I have no intentions of downloading it (actually version 2.1 now) though it is still available, still listed as an early access/alpha release requiring purchase of the NTTR or Normandy map to function.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/alpha/

Included as the last line on that page:
DCS World 2.1 said:
At a later time, DCS World 1.5 and 2.1 will be merged into a common version.

2.5 is apparently that common version.

I did reinstall 1.5 last night. I'll be reinstalling my modules tonight and re familiarizing myself with the cockpits. :cool:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Time to dust the thread off again!

Two things:
  • Tomorrow, on the 23rd of May, the Strait of Hormuz map is getting released. Today it's still possible to pre-purchase it for a discount.
  • Next week, on the 30th, the F/A-18C Hornet will be released in Early Access. Again, it will be possible to pre-purchase it for a discount until that date.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, a short look at the southern half of the Persian Gulf map, currently centered on the Strait of Hormuz:

we'll take off in an F-5E from Khasab airbase, located in an exclave of Oman east of Dubai:
zqDw7s0.jpg

G8T0ZiC.jpg

Heading west to Duabi, where the entire skyline can be seen:
YbhlKKg.jpg

gOGt2bL.jpg

S3PxlLT.jpg

I0IFlg4.jpg

0YQku89.jpg

Slightly east of the Burj Al Khalifa (hopefully written correctly) is also the Dubai Frame:
oQ6gD5V.jpg

wKNOBNe.jpg

7iLAznT.jpg

The notorious artificial island:
Wu1A1C3.jpg

PSTzzpO.jpg

Fun fact, it's possible to fly through the building at the end of it:
0YQku89.jpg

The Burj Al Arab hotel is also there, obviously, with a landing pad that is begging to be visited by a Harrier:
4pDPGNy.jpg

Returning to Khasab airbase, I can see it becoming my customary "home base", similar to Batumi in Georgia.
Small airport, located in a valley, it makes for an interesting approach:
MJ4Kfb0.jpg

TVFUl4r.jpg

cZMfVaF.jpg

0CZtgPJ.jpg

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
And today's the day! The F/A-18C Hornet has been released to Early Access!

The biggest limitation of this early version is the limited arsenal: we only have AIM-9M and AIM-7 at our disposal in the A/A department, with unguided bombs and rockets making up our available A/G weapons.

Nonetheless, almost all of the systems in the aircraft itself (various MFD pages, INS, UFC, etc.) are essentially complete, as opposed to the approach taken on e.g. the Harrier.

UiBDbRJ.jpg

rcoYmVa.jpg

QP68G1o.jpg

Right engine start:
6kZGrF9.jpg

And no screenshots of the takeoff because I completely forgot, hah!

FeG1WhJ.jpg

One thing, though: the Hornet is thirsty, even without afterburners!
s8zneRS.jpg

So after a high-speed run down from Dubai I decide to give a shot at air-to-air refueling.

With the aid of TACAN heading to the tanker's general location is trivial:
ZCkb1fN.jpg

A2yGyre.jpg

O1BG1dE.jpg

After some low-altitude "aerobatics" (i.e. the FCS putting up with me) a landing at Khesab, which I didn't record, which was "navy-firm", to say the least.

So after a take-off and a short 5-mile hop another landing, this one less spine-stirring:
r6vwb5c.jpg

LIsVZT7.jpg

QTMCy0k.jpg

A couple of short notes from this first impression of the module:
  • this very likely dethrones the A-10C as the "king of the hill" DCS module, even though those are very different aircraft
  • The sound design of the module, both internal and external, is superb.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
DCS World Steam has just started a 2,5 GB download for me
Don't know why, didn't ask it!

N..

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Anyone here using an Oculus with DCS? I have an X-52 Pro and a rift and I'd like to really get into flying DCS but I find it quite cumbersome to grab my touch controllers to try to actuate switches in the cockpit while also flying with the hotas. Is everything needed during combat pretty much mappable to the hotas or are people using something like a leap motion controller to try to actuate switches in the cockpits? Does it generally work well?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well... I use the A-10C with the Warthog HOTAS controller, but the most important functions should also fit on a X-52 Pro...

I would NOT recommend a VR, if you plan to fly low-level. My girlfriend already got vertigo just by watching me do a small training flight. :lol:

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I would NOT recommend a VR, if you plan to fly low-level. My girlfriend already got vertigo just by watching me do a small training flight. :lol:
I'm pretty resilient to VR-induced motion sickness. Granted, the kind of flying I typically do in FSX with FlyInside for the Oculus is much more... gentle. I put my girlfriend in it and she almost lost her cookies the first time even with just flying a prop in FSX.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm pretty resilient to VR-induced motion sickness. Granted, the kind of flying I typically do in FSX with FlyInside for the Oculus is much more... gentle. I put my girlfriend in it and she almost lost her cookies the first time even with just flying a prop in FSX.

Well, I often follow some old NOE tactics I had read in a magazine, not even sure if they are correct, but they are really effective... for example when flying over a hill, I turn heads-down, so I can see the ground and fly as close as the trees allow and also be able to pull a few Gs more to stay close to the hill... and then of course go back to heads up in a valley or between two hills.

Of course, this means for the training, the world is rapidly rotating and from time to time, you overtake a omnibus driving on the road above you....

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Is multiplayer actually available in the open beta?
I haven't seen any servers in the browser.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yes, it's available. You *should* be seeing servers indeed. Do you have anything odd regarding network setup such as blocked ports?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it's available. You *should* be seeing servers indeed. Do you have anything odd regarding network setup such as blocked ports?

I simply forgot that I keep clicking through the login screen on the main menu every time I start DCS, instead of actually logging in. :)