Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well I did it, I managed to shoot my first (cooperative) target with a Super 530D. The M2000C mod uses a "BRM release" label in the control, for the non-native english speaker I am it wasn't obvious it was for "Bombs-Rockets-Missiles release". Well, it took my two weapons. I shot the first one from too far, I must check if the distances displayed on the Mirage's HUD / radar are nautical miles or kilometers. I'd say those are nautical miles, in theory it is quite a standard in (western) aviation...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Still enjoying the Thrustmaster HOTAS. Will order the rudder pedals, but then I'll need a new PC and a new screen... It's a bit an arms race 😅

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Still enjoying the Thrustmaster HOTAS. Will order the rudder pedals, but then I'll need a new PC and a new screen... It's a bit an arms race 😅
Have to recommend against the Thrustmaster pedals. For as expensive as they are they are built of extremely cheap plastic. Further they are uncomfortably close together. If you're going to spend the money, look elsewhere. Mine are currently sitting off to the side as they broke pretty quickly from normal use. I'm trying to come up with a solution to repair them.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Will order the rudder pedals
Have to recommend against the Thrustmaster pedals. For as expensive as they are they are built of extremely cheap plastic. Further they are uncomfortably close together. If you're going to spend the money, look elsewhere. Mine are currently sitting off to the side as they broke pretty quickly from normal use. I'm trying to come up with a solution to repair them.
Exactly what he said. They are... not good.

I really like these, They're good quality, far enough apart to be comfortable, and have a tension adjustment.
I'm a pilot, and I can say these feel more like real rudder pedals than any others I've tried. They're still not perfect, but what sim hardware is?
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B07R21FJD8/

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I use Saitek pedals here, today you must look under the brand "Logitech G" for the exact same model.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also for people that want a more Soviet/Russian experience, there is VirPil, I heard very good things about them, at least as good as Thrustmaster, and maybe even a bit better :

Now they are not really mass-producing, there are some delays.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Weird that nobody produces Soviet style sticks and throttles, they could fit to nearly any aircraft of the USSR and Russia.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Weird that nobody produces Soviet style sticks and throttles, they could fit to nearly any aircraft of the USSR and Russia.

From the above post :

VPC MongoosT-50 – Our first project, named “MongoosT-50”, derived from the Russian name “МангусТ-50” (“Мангуст” for Mongoose, and “T-50” for the Russian modern fighter jet) aims to create a flight controller based on the T-50 Russian fighter jet. This control set includes the Flightstick, Throttle and Pedals.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I found joysticks similar to Su-25,27,35
VKB Black Mamba Joystick
Mamba1.jpg2ffbf6eee4cece1760631e891f1c9af1.jpgshutterstock_169268167044.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Still not with the Soviet Design philosophy behind... it more looks like making Sovietized HOTAS warthog. Warthogski.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Also for people that want a more Soviet/Russian experience, there is VirPil, I heard very good things about them, at least as good as Thrustmaster, and maybe even a bit better :

Now they are not really mass-producing, there are some delays.
Speaking of Virpil controls, it should be noted that the bases are actually compatible with the Thrustmaster grips - in fact, last week I bought a WarBRD base that I use with my Warthog grip:
IMG_20230613_223308532_HDR.jpg

The mechanical gimbal really increases the ability to be precise near the center point, which I did find was a bit of a weakness of the Warthog base - it was quite stiff right out of the center position and so, when performing small movements, required to apply a large force in one direction and then the other.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of Virpil controls, it should be noted that the bases are actually compatible with the Thrustmaster grips - in fact, last week I bought a WarBRD base that I use with my Warthog grip:

The mechanical gimbal really increases the ability to be precise near the center point, which I did find was a bit of a weakness of the Warthog base - it was quite stiff right out of the center position and so, when performing small movements, required to apply a large force in one direction and then the other.

That's what I heard too. Warthog is perfectly fine - for an attack plane - :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's what I heard too. Warthog is perfectly fine - for an attack plane - :p

A bit more fine control while aiming with the gun is always good. Otherwise, people make lots of Youtube videos about how bad the gun is and that the A-10 design was a failure.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I found a "trick" about the Thrustmater joystick, from forums. Apply some silicone grease on the ball joint, it makes a difference. Other than that some physical strenght helps 😅

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I found a "trick" about the Thrustmater joystick, from forums. Apply some silicone grease on the ball joint, it makes a difference. Other than that some physical strenght helps 😅

When I return to it, I sure need some maintenance on the stick and throttle, thank you for the tip with the silicon grease. :) But first of all, I need new hardware, this is no notebook game.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When I return to it, I sure need some maintenance on the stick and throttle, thank you for the tip with the silicon grease. :) But first of all, I need new hardware, this is no notebook game.

Same here, same here. Have a 32.5' 2560x1440 Samsung Odyssey G7 curved screen and the Thrustmaster (gold-plated) (metal) rudder pedals on the way, but my current config will blow up with those additions. The PSU is already at its limits. And the "antique" Geforce 1050 Ti just won't be enough.

Currently I can run DCS with a decent visual quality and an acceptable FPS, but only in very very simple scenarios. As soon as you have something a bit like a real battle going on, it gets unplayable. Which defeats a bit the purpose of a combat simulator.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Same here, same here. Have a 32.5' 2560x1440 Samsung Odyssey G7 curved screen and the Thrustmaster (gold-plated) (metal) rudder pedals on the way, but my current config will blow up with those additions. The PSU is already at its limits. And the "antique" Geforce 1050 Ti just won't be enough.

Currently I can run DCS with a decent visual quality and an acceptable FPS, but only in very very simple scenarios. As soon as you have something a bit like a real battle going on, it gets unplayable. Which defeats a bit the purpose of a combat simulator.

Exactly. I think, a dedicated rig would actually be the better choice there.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
See, the idea to purchase this started with noticing a very minimal "sticking" on my Warthog's main gimbal, and realizing that it was time to do some maintenance.

Finding a suitable dampening grease did turn out to be more difficult (and likely somewhat expensive) than I thought, so...I gave in.