Project Discovery II

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know, I wanted this ship for Orbiter since I first saw the study. But it seemed pointless without any good navtools for low thrust. Now the Navigator is getting on, and you're making the Discovery II just in time. Thanks, man!:cheers:

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know, I wanted this ship for Orbiter since I first saw the study. But it seemed pointless without any good navtools for low thrust. Now the Navigator is getting on, and you're making the Discovery II just in time. Thanks, man!:cheers:

Well, do not expect to fly this ship for some months. I must finish the texturing work, do what I can with virtual cockpit (maybe some controls selectable from VC) and code all the thing.

It's possible I code two engine modes for this ship: one as described in the paper and other with higher thrust to use it for orbit transfers with Orbiter nav tools.

Anyway, we're going to need some other ships to land when Discovery II arrives to planets. I know this ship was designed to a fast travel to Saturn, but there's no UMmu moon lander to complete the mission.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
one as described in the paper and other with higher thrust to use it for orbit transfers with Orbiter nav tools.

Don't worry about that, the orbiter Navigator will be able to handle it.

Anyway, we're going to need some other ships to land when Discovery II arrives to planets. I know this ship was designed to a fast travel to Saturn, but there's no UMmu moon lander to complete the mission.

That's true... the only thing we got are space planes.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The landers in the Discovery II project were interesting... they were not detailed in the study at all. The Discovery II was only supposed to fly a crew and perhaps some light cargo to Saturn/Jupiter and back, and all other facilities, such as landers and refueling depots, would be at the destination already.

I don't know if there are any interesting lander studies out there, it would be interesting to do a search.

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Today...

discovery_ii_301.jpg

Bigger airlock.

discovery_ii_302.jpg

Tested correct size for docking port. Ok! :thumbup:

Tycho6

Reaction score
Wow, is that actually Discovery II docked to the ISS? I can only imagine the anxiety among the station crew as all that mass approached them, even if it was only a few cm/s.

Seriously, though, the ship is looking great. The more plausible deep space vessels in Orbiter to choose from, the better. :thumbup:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
A very interesting project! I was thrilled when I saw it on the Atomic rocket page, and now this addon is becoming realty. Great!

I would consider rounding-off the intersections of the cylindrical and the conical parts. This results in less mechanical corner-stress, leading to a lighter design.

And I wonder if you intend to issue alpha test-versions of your addon. This could trap some bugs before the detailed work is done :)