GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Like a bird with it's wings clipped.:thumbsdown:

Exactly that. It sounds to me like a healthy bird carrying a dead one for one last victory lap before the end.

At least she's going to the sky one last time, but not to space where she belongs. :(

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Exactly that. It sounds to me like a healthy bird carrying a dead one for one last victory lap before the end.

At least she's going to the sky one last time, but not to space where she belongs. :(

I wish they would let her fly on her own, at least do an unpowered landing at Andrews before locking her away in a museum...

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I'm going to take some time off of work to watch the flyby next week. My office is close to the mall, so I'll head over that way and hopefully get to catch a glimpse, sad as it may be.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Like a bird with it's wings clipped.:thumbsdown:

I can't help but agree to some respect - but we needed to move on. Although, I wish that they had kept the shuttles flying until a new vehicle could be developed...

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It is always tough to let go. Especially saying good bye to something like the Space Shuttle. We have been watching her fly for so long now. Most on this board I would bet (myself included) have never known a time when she didn't fly until now.

But you are right NovaSilisko. It is time to move on. She did her mission. She flew the good flight. Now it is time to move beyond Earth orbit, and truly reach for the stars, and walk on distance worlds.

Some would say STS didn't live up to its full potential, and they are probably right, but she still was remarkable, both in her function and what she represented. It was a new way of thinking, it was a new way to go to and return from space. But now that is not enough. We need a new place to go, and that place the Shuttle cannot take us.

So as we watch our beloved orbiters leave their home in KSC and take up their final places in various museums across the country, let us remember when she flew, what she accomplished, the crews that flew, the crews we lost, and never think that just because the Shuttle has to stop flying in space, that NASA has to stop as well.

The next chapter now finally begins. Let us hope that the SLS proves to be a worthy successor.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
It certainly is always sad to see a great aircraft retired, but at this point it was holding us back. It's time to move on to bigger and bolder things.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wanna bet ? :dry:

You say that like the shuttle could take us to the moon or mars... :x

Even then, political will for all forms of space travel is dwindling - even just to orbit. It's not the fault of any specific vehicle or system.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No, my comment was about the future of manned spaceflight. Doesn't look very promising to me.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My sentiments exactly; when NASA retired the shuttle it also retired US Human Space Flight for a long time to come.
I'll be shocked if within the next 5 years we'll see an american made manned space craft actually lift off !

Shouldn't have retired the shuttle before we had something else to take it's place !
Very dumb ( and costly) move to have to rely on russian piggyback rides to a station we mostly financed and build !

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASA:
  • MEDIA ADVISORY : M12-062 - Space Shuttle Discovery to Fly Over Washington Metro Area April 17:
    WASHINGTON -- NASA's 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) with space shuttle Discovery mounted atop will fly approximately 1,500 feet above various parts of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area on Tuesday, April 17.

The flight, in cooperation with the Federal Aviation Administration, is scheduled to occur between 10 and 11 a.m. EDT. NASA Television and the agency's web site will provide live coverage.

The exact route and timing of the flight depend on weather and operational constraints. However, the aircraft is expected to fly near a variety of landmarks in the metropolitan area, including the National Mall, Reagan National Airport, National Harbor and the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center. When the flyover is complete, the SCA will land at Dulles International Airport.

{...}
  • World's Greatest Piggyback Ride

Florida Today:
Spaceflight Now:
NASASpaceflight: Shuttle Carrier Aircraft arrives at KSC ahead of Discovery’s final journey

collectSPACE: NASA jumbo jet lands in Florida to deliver space shuttle to Smithsonian

SPACE.com: NASA Jumbo Jet Arrives to Ferry Shuttle Discovery to Smithsonian

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
O-F Staff Note: Thread cleaned from off-topic discussion about the future of manned spaceflight of the United States. 10 posts were removed.

This thread is about news that Discovery will fly over Washington DC atop SCA in a way to Smithsonian Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, and not about future of the US Human Space Flight.

If you wish to continue the discussion concerning the future of the US Human Space Flight, please do so on an appropriate thread for that topic.