Docking to Luna: Help with Rotation

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Ah, Luna. What a great space station. One problem: ITS SPINNING!

Yes, i know, i can dock with it without spinning, or i can kill its rotation in the scenario editor, but, i'm going for more...realistic. Is there an easy way to rotate at the same speed as luna when docking? Do I just use rot RCS thrusters and be very precise?

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would recommend closing on the docking port first without worrying about the rotation. Once you get very close, use vernier RCS mode (hold down ctrl (I think?) while firing RCS) to get your angular velocity matched to the docking port, and then move in slowly with translational RCS.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Where is the angular Velocity reading?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
There isn't. But you can easily match it on the docking MFD or by looking out the window :cheers:

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
So, matching rotation is just kinda guess, and get the little arrow to stay on the "top", right?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
You also need a ship that has its docking port aligned with one of its principle rotation axes. In this regard, the DeltaGlider is no good.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, matching rotation is just kinda guess, and get the little arrow to stay on the "top", right?

That's how I do it. :)

Btw, the reason to get in close is because if you are not perfectly lined up when you start your translation, the effects of the rotation will start to throw you off more and more. Therefore, the closer you are, the less slipping you see. :)