Question Docking with no Lin RCS: is it possible?

MaS

Reaction score
Hi all!

My problem is this.
I'm trying to dock my vessel (well..it's not a vessel but a rocket who is part of a multistage) but there is not a Linear RCS on it (and this is a normal stuff).

I used many docking programs/mfds (LOLA, Pursuit, Attitude, RPOP, RV_Orientation, Soyuz Guidance, UnivPTG and UAP) but nothing...no chance!:(

Can you help to find an other docking mfd, or to suggest me a particular manouvre for docking or some vessel, module, addon to solve my problem?

Thank you in advance!:cheers:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Scenario editor? :shifty:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The simple answer is that those MFDs and tools all assume you have a linear RCS, so while you may use them to align your attitude to the docking port, you'll need another solution to actually get there.

This isn't technically impossible to do, but very difficult. You can use your main engines if you have them, but it will require some pretty precise manoeuvring to bump into the target at exactly the right position. If possible I'd suggest trying to avoid this situation entirely by giving one of the two objects an RCS. This has always been the case in real life - at least one vehicle has fine control in all axes and moves itself to the passive target.

This sort of thing is moving into the 'KSP parlour tricks' area.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
A tug to haul your rocket about could work.

Since I don't know a thing about your rocket though, I can't tell what tugs would be best for you. I do think [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1292"]Kulch's Tranzit form the Space Tugs addon[/ame] would be a good place to start despite that. It's no stranger to shifting odd or heavy stuff around, and hopefully that adaptability means it can handle your rocket.

Anyway, should you tell us more about rocket and what it's trying to dock to, it'd allow us to come up with stuff that should work as opposed to might work. A good screen shot might explain something better than typing out an written explanation, so [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3279"]here is a link[/ame] to handy addon that let's you take screen shots in Orbiter, so you don't have to look around online for screenshot programs.

MaS

Reaction score
Scenario editor? :shifty:
Yep, I know..but I don't want to use a "trick".;)

A tug to haul your rocket about could work.

Since I don't know a thing about your rocket though, I can't tell what tugs would be best for you. I do think Kulch's Tranzit form the Space Tugs addon would be a good place to start despite that. It's no stranger to shifting odd or heavy stuff around, and hopefully that adaptability means it can handle your rocket....

It's a good idea..but that tug seems a bit huge.

I'm using a JS2 (Jarvis) rocket to push another rocket stage for docking.