General Question Docking

AtlantisOnline

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if there was an MFD or an Autopilot or something to help me dock. I am absulutly terrible at it and I need something that tells me what to do down to the second or an autopilot that does it for me. I need something that will align the planes and sync the orbits and dock. Forgot to add that I am flying the space shuttle fleet 4.2

Dambuster

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if there was an MFD or an Autopilot or something to help me dock. I am absulutly terrible at it and I need something that tells me what to do down to the second or an autopilot that does it for me. I need something that will align the planes and sync the orbits and dock. Forgot to add that I am flying the space shuttle fleet 4.2

Dock MFD? It comes with Orbiter...of course you're probably already found that one :p.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Look up Tex's DG4 to ISS tutorial
Dock MFD will help you with...um....docking

I would suggest you use the stock DG for your first rendezvous/docking. Much easier

AtlantisOnline

Reaction score
I know there is a dock mfd but it doesn't tell you what to do it can align you but you have to do it in real life docking is computerized I would like something like that. I use the space shuttle fleet 4.2

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I know there is a dock mfd but it doesn't tell you what to do it can align you but you have to do it in real life docking is computerized I would like something like that. I use the space shuttle fleet 4.2
Dock MFD:
yes, it aligns you. It also tells you distance and closing speed. It's VERY simple and effective

DGIV has a docking autopilot, but as far as shuttle fleet, not sure

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Shuttle docks manually. There is no autopilot for it in the real world.

flying coffin

Reaction score

Use docking MFD with UNIVPTG MFD. For instructions on what to do, use
the NASA Rendezvous checklist that the actual shuttle astronauts use.

AtlantisOnline

Reaction score
ok i will try it if you have anyother ideas feel free to post them sorry I just looke for it and I can not find it on orbit hanger a link or what to type in would be appreciated

Last edited:

AtlantisOnline

Reaction score
Ok I have a new problem With shuttle docking. I can get it aligned and since the orbit so at one point we will be close (withen 200 km) Once I get there I cann't get any closer. If I am able to get close enough and am lined up I can dock but I cant get close then about 100km Any ideas

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Once you sync orbit with the ISS and get to within your 200km, re-circularise your orbit (ecc ~0.00). Flick docking hud on if not already, point the nose towards -V ISS and burn until it starts dancing about and gets very close to 0. Then point towards the box around the ISS and burn to give some closing speed. That should start to bring you closer to the station.

(Might not be -V ISS, could be V ISS. I forget, it's been a while since I thought about it.)

flying coffin

Reaction score
Here's how I do it, which seems to be pretty close to how NASA does it.

Start in a circular orbit about 250km altitude. In sync orbit MFD using target apsoasis mode wait until one orbit to intercept. At the ISS perigee on that orbit, burn prograde until your
apogee is 1km lower that the ISS apogee. The apogees of both vessels will be
at the same place now. When sync orbit changes to 0 orbits to intercept, at apogee, burn prograde to raise your perigee until sync orbit indicates 1 or 2 orbits to intercept. When sync orbit again changes to 0 orbits to intercept,
use rendezvous MFD to make the TI burn. The Rendezvous MFD curve should look like a U. Make a couple of correction burns during this final orbit using
Rendezvous MFD. You should end up approaching the station from 1 km directly beneath it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Ok I have a new problem With shuttle docking. I can get it aligned and since the orbit so at one point we will be close (withen 200 km) Once I get there I cann't get any closer. If I am able to get close enough and am lined up I can dock but I cant get close then about 100km Any ideas

Have you docked with the DG at all?

Have you read the manual, go play in space or any of the tutorials that can be found using the helpful search function at the top of the forum?

Last edited:

AtlantisOnline

Reaction score
Yes I docked with the DG once but I have problems because know I can get withen about 50 kilos I circulize my orbit but then start to back out and don't have enough thrust to start aproaching the ISS

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

Tommy

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you haven't aligned your planes well enough. You should have a RInc of less than .03 to rendevous with a low powered vessel like the shuttle.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
1) Launch MFD
2) Align Plane MFD
3) Sync Orbit MFD
4) Docking MFD

Zane

Reaction score
Here's a (rough) idea of how I do it, using LaunchMFD, RendezvousMFD, and IMFD.

Before launch, I use LaunchMFD to find the appropriate time to launch. Right before my launch window (~240 seconds to intersection), I determine if my target will be ahead of me or behind me. If it's ahead, I need to launch to an orbit lower than the target, and if it's behind, I need to launch to an orbit higher than the target.

Usually, I launch when LaunchMFD indicates 120-180 seconds until separation. I've found that helps lower relative inclination.

Once in orbit, I need to fix my orbital plane (should only be a small difference if you launched in the right direction at the right time) so it matches my target's, so I target it on Align Planes MFD and burn according to what's shown there.

Then I turn on time acceleration until my target and my spacecraft are getting close on Orbit MFD. When that happens, I burn prograde or retrograde to create an intersection between my orbit and my target's.

On Sync Orbit MFD, once I set the target of the rendezvous, I need to burn my engines either prograde or retrograde to minimize the DTMin value shown.

Then, I wait for a bit until the target begins to close. When I begin to close in on the station, I use IMFD's orbital velocity match program to null my relative velocity with the target.

After that's done, I use RendezvousMFD to set up a trajectory that will come within a few meters of the target.

At that point, I open up Dock MFD and select the target and docking port. It's also helpful to hit the HUD button on there to get the docking HUD. When I'm on approach to the space station, I try to orient myself in the right direction for docking. Dock MFD will give me some information about this. When the X is on the docking screen, that means I'm close to the proper orientation for docking. The idea is that you should get the X in the middle of the screen (in the crosshair type thing) and then use killrot.

Now, that the target is approaching fast, I look at the docking HUD and use RCS translation to null my relative velocity with the target.

The last part is getting aligned with the station and approaching it. On Dock MFD, there should be a + on the screen. Like the X, the idea is to get the + right in the center of the crosshair.

Once you do that, you thrust toward the station and dock, making sure that the X and + remain in the right place on Dock MFD.

I hope that sorta made sense, since I'm not the best at explaining things.