Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Thats what it is.....

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
DOS stands for Disk Operating System and it is much older than you are.
The DOS windows of XP and Vista only emulate the behaviour of the old DOS to a certain point. That is why it is usaly very troublesome to run old DOS Games.
Older Windows versions were only DOS programs itself and required you to boot DOS first, then start windows.
You can acces it by running the "cmd" command. For more information take a look at Wikipedia

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You know you're getting old when people start asking what DOS is! :p

Things are far worse, if you still know the differences between DOS 6.22 and DOS 5.0.

Those had been days... Does somebody else remember how he made a specially optimized boot disk for running Harrier Jump Jet or History Line?

For running older DOS applications, I can recommend DOSBox. It really works well.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Those where the times when I didn't load the CD-ROM driver to save some RAM.
DOSbox indeed works very well. Although, if it comes down to it, you can always set up a VM.

ZCochrane

Reaction score
"Does somebody else remember how he made a specially optimized boot disk for running Harrier Jump Jet ...?"

Oh my God, Urwumpe! I DO remember doing that ~ on the Indian island of Timor, wasn't it? I had a blast shooting the little village huts and palm trees, LOL. Wow, did you ever bring back some memories, there.

Warmly,
ZCochrane

bujin

Reaction score
Hah! I remember the good ol' days of desperately trying to squeeze the loading of DOS parts into HIMEM to free up enough memory to play games!

PCs back in those days weren't for the faint-hearted! :lol:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I wrote an 8 page .bat file to tell my XP how to answer the 2400 baud modem. DOS 6.0 could tell the difference between a human on the line, a computer with a human being at the keyboard, or a computer on 'auto' phoning in to exchange message data bases.

My 2400 baud modem was a chief source of envy for all of my friends - no one else had more than 1200 baud. My girlfriend at the time was running 300 baud on an Osbourn.

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
I remember when I was 13 I made a small program in QBasic that did the whole "Hello, Neo" thing in the matrix. Wasn't very convincing to my brother.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
In the imortal word's of my Dad '20 meg, I'll never fill 20 meg'

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
I was using a 486 Dell with 5.25" floppies up to about 4 years ago. I didn't lose my Apple II until about the same time. I believe the Apple was older than me.

Chode

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:OMG: I'll take us back even further! TRS-80!! Tape Drives!! Programming in BASIC!!!

I'll see your TRS-80 and raise with the PDP-11. Punched paper tape drives! Programming in assembly!

Regards

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
I have 2 working C64s. With a tape drive (and plenty of games on cassette) and a 5.25" floppy drive. Not to mention the 20 shrinkwrapped 5.25" floppies.

NB. I'm 14

bujin

Reaction score
:OMG: I'll take us back even further! TRS-80!! Tape Drives!! Programming in BASIC!!!

Can't beat that one. My first was the good ol' Speccy 48K with rubber keys back in 1982! Had my uncle not been working in the local Dixons store, I'd never have had that first computer, and I probably wouldn't be working in the computing field today!

Damn that uncle! :rofl:

:lol:

My first PC had a whopping 8Mb of RAM , a sublime 1Mb (2D) graphics card and a clock speed of an amazing 33MHz - around 5 times faster than my previous computer! (Amiga) It was near top of the range at the time!

Then while in uni, my friend bought a Pentium 133 laptop with 16Mb RAM. It only cost him a mere £3000!!! (He had rich parents...). He bought a game, and we couldn't believe it when it took up over 150Mb of hard drive space! :blink:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com

My first PC was a Sinclair, with 1KB RAM on board (early '80s). I quickly upgraded to 16KB RAM external pack. Cassette tape drive. Primitive - yet it was state of the art.:eek:hsnap:

I'll never filled 16KB. Now, I'm getting close to filling 80GB...Orbiter helps a lot in this regard, as I have 6 different installs.