Request Double Asteroid Redirect Test mission

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
DART had just launched today! a successful liftoff indeed on a mission to impact itself on Dimorpheus (aka Didymoon)
Dart_Deployment.png

Reactions: GLS

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
China will launch 20+ rockets to move Asteroid Bennu (according to Russian scientists, this measure will only delay the collision with the Earth by just one turn)

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
China will launch 20+ rockets to move Asteroid Bennu (according to Russian scientists, this measure will only delay the collision with the Earth by just one turn)
Seems like a pretty good idea, but I am doubtful on whether it is feasible. Of course, we can argue that China is the wealthiest country in the world and has a lot of money to spend on these life-saving missions.

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
It has been a week since the DART mission launched on a impact mission to Dimorpheus (aka Didymoon), and no addon was released for it just like BrianJ's takes on spacecraft that were available before their real life launch windows

Pioneer

Reaction score
It has been a week since the DART mission launched on a impact mission to Dimorpheus (aka Didymoon), and no addon was released for it just like BrianJ's takes on spacecraft that were available before their real life launch windows
Maybe he has just been busy with other things. A little patience is appreciated.

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
BrianJ would program this in a similar way to the Deep Impact mission. he would include both the LICIACube and the Didymos system for this addon.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry guys! I don't have the time and energy to do everything I'd like to.
I'll see if I can do DART sometime soon, but as mentioned it requires more than just a spacecraft.
Cheers,
Brian

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if it changes the period of the solar orbit of the Didymos system significantly.
Should it? The total mass of the Didymos-Dimorphus might have changed a bit, yes - but would that change the orbital parameter (of Didymos around the Sun) ?
Angular momentum changed - I think...

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Should it? The total mass of the Didymos-Dimorphus might have changed a bit, yes - but would that change the orbital parameter (of Didymos around the Sun) ?
Angular momentum changed - I think...
no it should not (it shall not), that's exactly why the moonlet Dimorphos was targeted and not the main body: to avoid any hazardous change of orbit of the system itself... it would be a pity that the demo to protect the Earth become a threat :D