Vessel Dragon V2 addon

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
I wanted to simulate an modern incarnation of the manned version of the SpaceX Dragon (the Dragon V2) to be launched on a Falcon 9. it has to have an Nose cone animation and the ability to separate from it's Service Module/Trunk and have UCGO & UMMU capability.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Noted. A group of highly trained primates are currently processing your request and we will get back to you when they're finished. :)

A Dragon V2 addon will come when it's out, not everyone on here is a modeler nor has unlimited time on their hands. Donamy, if I remember correctly, is working on one, but few details exist about Dragon V2.

Last edited:

RonDVouz

Reaction score
Donamy, if I remember correctly, is working on one, but few details exist about Dragon V2.

LOL at the primates comment.

And SpaceX has been rather quiet about the specs to their new ship. From what I'm hearing it can only stay in orbit for 8 hours (approx). I hope that isn't true but the "trunk" area is nothing more than that, an empty trunk.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
LOL at the primates comment.
The primates comment, I've seen it when YouTube has an internal server error.

And SpaceX has been rather quiet about the specs to their new ship. From what I'm hearing it can only stay in orbit for 8 hours (approx). I hope that isn't true but the "trunk" area is nothing more than that, an empty trunk.

From where did you hear that?

Looking it up shows that there's a Bluetooth headset called "Dragon V2" which can provide up to 8 hours of talking time.

Last edited:

RonDVouz

Reaction score
The primates comment, I've seen it when YouTube has an internal server error.

Shows how much I use youtube these days. :p

From where did you hear that?

Looking it up shows that there's a Bluetooth headset called "Dragon V2" which can provide up to 8 hours of talking time.

I recall it being said in a discussion over facebook the day after the unveiling. I've been looking ever since because I want to know this and I hope that it isn't true. But the rationalization, I suppose, for that comment was due in part to the rear section of the craft which LOOKS like a service module is in fact just an empty shell that has a few RCS ports on it. Indications are that the life support and vehicle main propulsion tanks are within the capsule.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's an empty shell for unpressurized cargo, like the HTV's unpressurized section.

RonDVouz

Reaction score
That's what I'm hearing. To me it's seem like a waste, it could be better used as a service module especially is their plan was deep space missions. Until something official is posted from SpaceX it's anyone's guess.

Personally I'm disappointed in the overall design of V2. No docking window, even if there was one the hatch cover would block it. The interior looks spacious but when you think about it I bet it'll look more like the stuffed interior of a Soyuz. Despite there being a fly-by-wire control system I think this craft will be remotely operated.

All the time.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You can still dock with a screen.

I mean, how else would Dream Chaser dock? Or Kliper?

RonDVouz

Reaction score
I thought Dreamcatcher's nosecone didn't obscure the window. And didn't Kliper died before it even had a chance?

Wasn't that the failed collaboration of ESA and ROSCOSMOS? And ultimately the predecessor of the PTK?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I thought Dreamcatcher's nosecone didn't obscure the window. And didn't Kliper died before it even had a chance?

Wasn't that the failed collaboration of ESA and ROSCOSMOS? And ultimately the predecessor of the PTK?

But both of those vehicles have aft docking ports. It wouldn't matter if the nose obscured the front view.

Kliper was a independent project by RKK Energia. And yes, it did. :(

RonDVouz

Reaction score
AHH!! I just realized that after posting. I hadn't seen anything from Sierra Nevada since they did approach and landing tests.

So what was the ESA/ROSCOSMOS project that died while at the same time giving birth to the Soyuz replacement?

And BTW, PTK looks awesome!

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
That's what I'm hearing. To me it's seem like a waste, it could be better used as a service module especially is their plan was deep space missions. Until something official is posted from SpaceX it's anyone's guess.

Personally I'm disappointed in the overall design of V2. No docking window, even if there was one the hatch cover would block it. The interior looks spacious but when you think about it I bet it'll look more like the stuffed interior of a Soyuz. Despite there being a fly-by-wire control system I think this craft will be remotely operated.

All the time.

Based on the animations, has two forward-facing "docking" windows one in the hatch, and another immediately above the docking ring, both are covered by the nose-cone during normal flight.

Obviously the interior will be a bit more cramped once you add 7 people plus all of their food, water, and carry-on luggage but that is hardly a problem unique to Dragon.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Like I said, one window in the Hatch itself and another on the docking ring next to what I assume based on it's alignment with a similar structure on the ISS is an alignment camera or antenna.

spaceX-1.png

See also this earlier concept which had two windows at the 6:00 position vice one...

ccicap-1.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This trunk-detach shot clearly shows that the trunk has tanks and equipment.

Attachments

• spacex_dragon_v2_5.jpg
    spacex_dragon_v2_5.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 92

RonDVouz

Reaction score
I guess I don't see it like that, I see like a KURS docking system (Around 10 o'clock on the docking collar). I hope they put out a better set of specs soon. And I think I like that earlier version better, they should have run with that. I just don't like the sports car feel of the one they settled on.

@Donamy - I mentioned that the trunk has RCS and obviously has to have some main propulsion but what I saw in their video was a widely hollow space.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
WIP

Attachments

• Dragon2docking.jpg
    Dragon2docking.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 97

barrygolden

Reaction score
Once again Don great job with Dragon V2. I hope you put the leather seats in the VC. We just completed the test stand for the all-up firing of the full pack of super dracos

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't think the 'corinthian leather'(best Ricardo Montalban voice) will be in the real ship. I would think a form fitting cushion, more like soyuz.