Project Dragonfly Redux

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
So when OpenOrbiter was announced, I thought it would be a good idea to use that opportunity to practice modelling a bit. So I did the dragonfly. Turns out I still need a lot to learn (specially on the uv packing front) so the craft doesnt really look good in orbiter. So Ill leave it here if someone wants to finish it or use it for whathever. Both the blend file and the msh and textures for orbiter.
Theyll be the rar and zip files on this drive link
Note: For the blend file youll need decalMachine to see and bake the decals

A couple of renders:
untitled1 (2).png

untitled2 (2).png

untitled3.png

Model detail:
untitled2.png

And heres how the model (and my poor texture bake) looks ingame (beware of reshade on screenshot):
orbiter 2021-12-01 10-42-16.png
orbiter 2022-04-12 09-36-34.pngorbiter 2022-04-12 10-06-39.png

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
So glad you posted this.

The Dragonfly was always a fun vessel and a great demonstration of the kind of complex vessels that can be implemented under the Orbiter API.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
The Dragonfly was always a fun vessel and a great demonstration of the kind of complex vessels that can be implemented under the Orbiter API.
Yeah! I actually wanted to do a 3d vc for it when d3d9 gets proper cockpit shadig or skybolt gets integrated into openOrbiter. It feels so much like a real spaceship with all those systems and switches.

Hopefully someone will be able to finish this messy model of mine haha

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Problem is, some parts of the dragonfly's panel don't actually work anymore, and you'd have to rewrite pretty much the entire panel to address that (it's still using an Orbiter 2006 style panel. That's not the reason it doesn't work anymore, I don't think, but it's way outdated...).
As for the model, I'd just use materials for the girders instead of textures. Either you make their pollycount really high, or there's just no way to unpack them in a way that doesn't look horrible when applying a texture.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Problem is, some parts of the dragonfly's panel don't actually work anymore, and you'd have to rewrite pretty much the entire panel to address that (it's still using an Orbiter 2006 style panel. That's not the reason it doesn't work anymore, I don't think, but it's way outdated...).
Yeah, thats why I used the past tense haha. Also I realized my modelling skills are not up to game asset standards so I dropped it
As for the model, I'd just use materials for the girders instead of textures. Either you make their pollycount really high, or there's just no way to unpack them in a way that doesn't look horrible when applying a texture.
Great tip! How would you do it? I just added a normal to make them look more 3d

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Great tip! How would you do it? I just added a normal to make them look more 3d

There's an interactive material editor that comes with the D3D9 client. For some reason it was named "D3D9 Debug Controls" or something like that, but it allows you to modify the properties of materials (like metalness). You access it in Orbiter through the F4 menu.

A little detail : I don't think the nozzles should have "goldfoil" MLI on them. It would likely melt or prevent the nozzle from dissipating heat.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great tip! How would you do it?
As far as I know, you just don't give them a diffusion map and configure the material properties. In D3D9 client I think that might involve some 2x2 pixel maps with a grayscale to set things like reflectivity, but I'm not sure.