Request Dual-Keel Space Station addon (STATION REQUEST)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do we have the HL20? I just made modules bases off the Leonardo. And adjusted the length. I suppose attachment will be needed to attach the other modules to the frame.

If the basic structure is good. I will combine the joints,......

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Do we have the HL20?
Yep right here...though not sure if this addon would still work on O2016

Are there 2 docks? Not sure what should go inside the black ring? I have seen square hatches?
Most of the renders of Freedom up to the 1991 concept show two docking ports (PMAs) for the Space Shuttle up front

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like this. besides the APAS-75 dock. I will just make a cone go back to the module. MOst images show the PMA as a cone. straight connection not bend. Maybe texture it like the PMA in a dark material? Add the round hatch texture.

It looks like a track with a device and rms arm.

Attachments

• ss85md3.jpg
    ss85md3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 14

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The shuttle uses the APAS-98. Nut sure if the APAS 75 will align with the shuttle. It looked like the APAS-75 used 4 petals while the APAS-98 3 pedals. Not sure if the same size. I guess I will go with the 98.

Not sure what we want out of this. I can make a straight mesh like the older Freedom. Or can make it more functional.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
All APAS iterations from 75(ASTP, for which it was conceived) to 98 (refinement of design first intended for use on Buran to dock to Mir's Kristall module, the only one with APAS on its node) used 3 petals. APAS-75 had the petals splayed outwards at an angle of 40°s. Later revisions changed this to inward at an angle of 47°s.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I used the one from the docking module. As it will match with the shuttle. I will need to rotate it so the shuttle may dock correctly.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
I like this. besides the APAS-75 dock.
Looks like the large circular ports on this render depict the early design concepts for the common berthing mechanism used by the USOS modules of the ISS. This makes sense since those have larger doors and more permanent attachments for the modules themselves to use

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks.
these are for the Station Freedom
Looks like OD is 79inches. maybe the passive as it as 4 alignment guides. just like the image
So these go around the round openings. A hatch texture goes there. The modules are 13.5Meters long

Attachments

• Three_CBM_Types_1988.jpg
    Three_CBM_Types_1988.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Confused.
So on the ends of the nodes. this is what should be there? It looks like the petals fold inside rather than the outside like the photo. Hatch texture like this.

Attachments

• freedom17.jpg
    freedom17.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Confused.
So on the ends of the nodes. this is what should be there? It looks like the petals fold inside rather than the outside like the photo. Hatch texture like this.
CBM. What model likely depicts is an early iteration of what would later become the Common Berthing Mechanism. So the hatch would not be round but square with rounded edges. At this point nothing was finalized, in fact SSF only ever existed "on paper" so to say with no actual hardware built. "Dual Keel" was just one of many design concepts of SSF with another notable one being the "Power Tower". Eventually both got paired down to what ISS is today with pre-fabbed trusses and a single row of pressurized modules due to budget cuts. Also, the two propulsion trusses (P2/S2) were deleted with the RS taking over that duty.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh. true it is fictional. So I may make them like the image with squarish hatch

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Something like this. I might make the outer diameter the same as other modules so they fit?

Attachments

• freedomcmb3.jpg
    freedomcmb3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1
  • freedomcmb2.jpg
    freedomcmb2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
The real name of the "International Space Station" is "Project Mir-Alpha"
for the "Freedom" Space Station it was planned to use the HL-20 Personnel Launch System
for the International Space Station "Alpha" it was planned to create large crewed vertical-takeoff, vertical-landing
vylXNnr0PGk.jpgoriginal.jpg2-18.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After reading more. the truss are 5 meters. I think mine are a little smaller 4.5M. I can remake and make them 5 meters. It would be nice to now the diameters of the rods. I assume they are cylinders and not squares. The whole cube is white.

On the other modules I guess the best idea is to make the mating surfaces the same diameter. Have a base habitat assembly. With attachment points on the nodes if somewhats to attach other items.

Base assembly. Will look like the drawing. It will have 2 docks and cupola.

Those big boxes above the assembly look to have a open door,.....

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Reworked the station trusses. Will re work the base habitat modules. Docking PMAs,.....

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I not sure which texture to use for the solar panels. I think the ISS has 2 textures. One on front and one for the back.