Gaming Dwarf Fortress discussion

MattBaker

Reaction score
It is completely optional but people still donate him at least $3000 every month? Wow, that community is awesome.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
New songs incoming! If you use SoundSense, you know his music. Finally some more variety. As the page says, there are more to come, including biome/region-specific songs.

https://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/sets/dwarf-fortress-soundtrack-2014

And of course, Dwarf Fortress has been constantly updated by Tarn since the initial DF2014 release. I don't know how it's looking yet, but it should be a lot more stable than the July release. PeridexisErrant keeps the Starter Pack updated here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
trying to learn how to play DF finally. my first colony was doing great until the first winter came and the river froze leaving my clan to die one by one of dehydration. my favorite thing was this old lady, one of the last survivors who was 72 with 14 children, fighting depression crawled out into the hallway seemingly days before it went bad for everyone else and stayed there until the end. folks dealt with their impending deaths in their own ways. most huddled in the the meeting room together. one dwarf went and died in a bed in his sleep, a few staggered out of the fortress at the last moment and wandered in different directions in the snow before collapsing. The old lady was probably 2nd or 3rd to last to die. Some interesting facts about her life were that she felt fondness while sitting by a fine oak door, and witnessed the death of a porcupine but felt nothing.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
my first colony was doing great until the first winter came and the river froze leaving my clan to die one by one of dehydration

Why were they drinking water at all?? The lack of booze would eventually have produced more FUN than a lack of water ever could.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I forgot to tell someone to operate the still! ...feeling smug that I built it and a bunch of barrels, no booze was made before winter :lol:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
A MAJOR update has been released today!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/02/dwarf-fortress-art-update/

Facebook news is not how I expected to find out. o_O
IvsUcb1.png

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Why does the name "Dragon Poker" comes to mind?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why does the name "Dragon Poker" comes to mind?

Because you constantly loose your games of Dragon Poker, unless it is blue moon and the tavern maid is wearing a yellow skirt? But its still fun.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Download, unpack, test... first crash during world creation. Begins like the 40 version.

EDIT: Setting the number of civilizations to low, fixes the freeze in "place civilizations".

EDIT2: Next freeze in year 229/250 ... there is a lot of work left.

EDIT3: And crash after a few days in-game. I would say, it is still pretty buggy.

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Because you constantly loose your games of Dragon Poker, unless it is blue moon and the tavern maid is wearing a yellow skirt? But its still fun.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Download, unpack, test... first crash during world creation. Begins like the 40 version.

EDIT: Setting the number of civilizations to low, fixes the freeze in "place civilizations".

EDIT2: Next freeze in year 229/250 ... there is a lot of work left.

EDIT3: And crash after a few days in-game. I would say, it is still pretty buggy.
"With the release come the bugs, and with the bugs come the fixes! I've corrected what is hopefully the cause of all the world generation freezes (an uninitialized poetry refrain index...), and I fixed a problem causing worlds not to reproduce correctly with the same seed. I also fixed the older bug causing constructions to crash when placed over tree tiles. There are still more crashes to check, so I'm going to continue to work on 42.02 for a few more days, and then I'll put it up. Then I'll continue on with bug fixes." - Tarn's dev blog

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
A patch, 0.42.02, has been released.
Not sure of the status of the Lazy Newb Pack.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A patch, 0.42.02, has been released.
Not sure of the status of the Lazy Newb Pack.

Testing it again... after I went to the baker. :coffee:

Gooooood morning, dwarves! :tiphat:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
picture.php

The writing is cruel... and deadly.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
picture.php

The writing is cruel... and deadly.

A dwarf wrote a book about him/herself killing a well-known serial-killer dwarf in a pit. Neat.

If any other dwarves go missing in the pits, I think you've got a suspect here.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting bit of today's changelog:
"Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves (reduced effect)"

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Interesting bit of today's changelog:
"Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves (reduced effect)"

Too realistic, the game needs balancing! :rofl: