News Earthquake in Northern Italy

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
From ADNkronos News:

The death-toll in the magnitude 5.8 earthquake that hit the northeastern Emilia-Romagna region Tuesday continued to rise with police telling Adnkronos that at least eight people had been killed in the province of Modena.

Three factory workers died when a warehouse collapsed in the town of San Felice sul Panaro and two died in Mirandola, while two people were killed when their homes collapsed in Concordia and in Finale Emilia.

Police said an eighth person died in Rovereto sul Secchia but it was not immediately clear if they were crushed to death or were taken ill during the earthquake.

A number of people were reported to be missing in the village of Medolla which was badly damaged in the quake, Italian civil protection officials said, while seven people were hospitalised with non-life-threatening injuries in Pieve di Coriano in the province of Mantova.

Some schools were temporarily closed in Bologna and panick-stricken residents were reported to have run out into the streets in Bologna, Modena, Ravenna, Florence and as far afield as in Milan, Turin, Padua and Treviso.

The quake's epicentre was in the town of Emilia.

Emilia-Romagna has asked the neighbouring Lombardy region to send medical staff and loan it helicopters to assist victims of the earthquake.

A number of buildings collapsed on Tuesday which that had been damaged in the magnitude 6 earthquake that struck the same area on 20 May, killing seven people, leaving over 5,000 homeless and damaging many historic buildings.

Communication with the quake-hit area was reportedly being hampered by problems with mobile telephony networks.

Italy's interior minister Annamaria Cancellieri was due to hold a meeting with the top government representative in Modena later on Tuesday, ministry sources told Adnkronos.

The government has already earmarked 50 million euros of aid for the quake-hit area of Emilia-Romagna and prime minister Mario Monti said on Tuesday that Rome would do "everything it must do and which is possible."

"It will do so quickly to ensure this special, important and productive area of Italy gets back to normal," Monti said.

Italian farmers' association Coldiretti estimated that the damage to Emilia-Romagna's agriculture from the 20 May earthquake amounted to 200 million euros.

Original link:

http://www.adnkronos.com/IGN/Aki/En...gna-earthquake-in-northeast_313351589840.html

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
It doesn't sound "Japan bad", but hope all is O.K with our Italian friends...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, the number of dead and collapsed buildings in the past 10 days sounds more like far-east turkey than northern italy, so I rate it as pretty dire. Also the aftershocks don't get weaker than the main event, which is pretty strange, but I would like to ask an geologist about the meaning. Main event was 6.0, this time it was 5.8, last week also had a few aftershocks in the 5.5-5.8 range... could this be just the foreshocks of a much bigger Earthquake?

Maybe it is the preparation for Italy undocking and leaving Europe.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Urwumpe, AFAIK it is Italy which is thrusting through Europe, creating the Alps in its wake.

Not exactly true, but yes. Actually, it is Italy getting compressed by Africa shearing past Europe.

(Also, the undocking sentence was a dark joke)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I felt nothing from Toulouse.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I was sleeping. Nothing can wake me up.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Didn't feel anything, likely because I was on a train and it might have dampened everything a bit...a friend with parents living near the northern border of the Emilia region said that it was felt quite a bit there, but without major damage.

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
I felt it at 9:00 AM and even the second one (5.3 richter) at 12:56. I live near Milan, 300 km away from epicenter

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The only "earthquake" I ever felt was caused by a transformer fire 1 km away from my location... It is really dull here, the only exception is the occasional tornado.

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
The only "earthquake" I ever felt was caused by a transformer fire 1 km away from my location... It is really dull here, the only exception is the occasional tornado.

That's probably a good thing.