Gaming Elite: Dangerous

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, that was a bit of a bummer. I've been very much enjoying Solo mode, though.

How good is the solo mode? I still need a Christmas present for myself...

JSwift

Reaction score
The three game modes are: Open, Private Group and Solo. They all exist together at the same time, sharing the same databases and affecting the dynamic galaxy the same way. The main difference between the three is which "instance" you will spawn in.

For Open mode, you will spawn into some instance and any other players also in Open Mode that happen to be on the same game server and in the same instance 'should' be visible. This can be problematic when actually trying to meet up with friends and a re-logging dance can usually chance a spawn where you'll appear together.

In Private Group, you choose to start in someone's group - even your own (everyone can create their own group). To join other groups, you need to apply to join the group and when accepted you will see the option to start in that group. This is the same as Open, but the only other players you will see will be from that private group.

In solo, it's just you - forced to spawn into your own instance at all times. You will still affect the dynamic galaxy the same as a player in Private or Open (faction influence, trading stocks & prices, etc) but no other human players. Aka the "anti-ganking" mode. There's also the debate about whether it's fair to have Open and Solo affect the universe the same way.

In all cases, there are lots of NPC ships around driving the gameplay. Adding others to your friends list should theoretically help you spawn in the same instance as them when in Open but this has been hit and miss through Beta (although it seems better now).

I think that about covers it, right commanders?

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
This is really a must have for me. But right now, the starting price is not in the range of my budget limmits. But I think they will too have some sales from time to time. ^^

SHADO

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Will probably be free to play after a couple of years relying on addons for income.

ApolloFZ

Reaction score
Troubles with download...why they cannot release a game without bugs? I think they'll have founds to do it. I'm a little bit disappointed! :(

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On a voyage deep into space. It's getting a little repetitive. Brown dwarf, brown dwarf, brown dwarf, red dwarf...

The payoff should be pretty good, though. I want that Asp!

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Does someone run away abruptly when there's a red dwarf?

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Elite: Dangerous is available for purchase on Steam starting from today:

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
I have been playing since launch day. I'm currently on a mission to be the first person to circumnavigate the galaxy. If any of you are ingame, feel free to friend me - CMDR Maia Posidana.

I'm wondering if anybody has started to try and Orbitermod an ASP yet?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Alas, the only ASP I'm dealing with currently is ASP.NET... If this thing will happen to be on sale around my birthday I might even be able to justify the expense. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for better pastures before buying games... :(

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Elite: Dangerous is -25% off on a daily (48-hour) deal on Steam today.

E

ex-orbinaut

Got it on Steam during the sale. It is a walk down memory lane for me, with better (much better) graphics and audio. The online play is a bonus, too, with wingmen functions. Despite all that, it hasn't lost the same old "ambiance", I might say, as the old Elite on the Spectrum.

Very nice.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Interesting comment Keith, I haven't tried it since the power play update as I found it incredibly, mind bogglingly tedious. I may have to give it another go.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Far beyond the outskirts of human civilisation...

2015-12-10_00164.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You have an external camera? I want an external camera!

I finally got the game at the black friday sale for 15 bucks... Horizons would have been cool, but there's no way I can justify that kind of money at the moment.