Gaming Elite: Dangerous

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Honestly I've been kind of disappointed with Elite. Maybe I've been completely missing something, but "truck simulator in space" seems to be what's there...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sure, but it just kinda feels disappointing that there's all this space there, but the only things to do are move cargo around or take a randomly-generated mission to go search a dozen randomly-appearing signals in order to fight a bad guy whose difficulty will have nothing to do with the reward for the mission (I got totally owned by some kind of amazing ship on a mission that was only like $5k in rewards, I'm still bitter).

I mean, the graphics are great, but I feel like I might as well be flying around in universe simulator or something. Call me weird, but I would've totally loved to have an actual storyline.

Or maybe I just miss Freelancer.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I feel like I might as well be flying around in universe simulator or something.
Natural question is - how can that problem be solved?

If the storyline is the only thing that would do, then how can you combine an infinite wide open world with one?

If not, what else could work?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Natural question is - how can that problem be solved?

If the storyline is the only thing that would do, then how can you combine an infinite wide open world with one?

If not, what else could work?
I don't see why you can't have a storyline that visits some subset of that infinite wide open world, and then when done, leaves you in that infinite wide open world.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now bathing in the light of Lambda Crucis.

2015-12-12_00056.jpg

You have an external camera? I want an external camera!

By default it's ctrl+alt+space. If that doesn't work for you, it's somewhere in the options menu as "classified camera".

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
classified camera? who ever called it that?

Anyways, can somebody tell me what benefit I get from influence? I can't find a satisfactory answer. Everyone explains what influence means for factions, but since some factions major benefits are influence bonuses, I assume it must benefit the player too, and I assume it's different from reputation?

...they really screwed up that documentation :facepalm:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
2015-12-12_00085.jpg

Still at Lambda Crucis. There are a whole slew of brown dwarfs out here. Here's a binary pair of them.

Honestly, I'm not sure about influence/reputation. I've barely touched combat, instead trading until I could afford a decent survey ship (Cobra, in this case) and left for unknown space.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure about influence/reputation. I've barely touched combat, instead trading until I could afford a decent survey ship (Cobra, in this case) and left for unknown space.

I didn't wait that long and left civilisation with an Adder, a half-decent frame shift drive and not much else. I'm back in the warmth for now after a week out, with half a million credits I got from survey data and selling some stuff I found lying around on the black market, and I'm strugling to decide whether I should spend the money on an intermediary scanner and head back out, or whether I should take a break and try figuring out some of the game mechanics before taking another leave of absence.

There are a whole slew of brown dwarfs out here. Here's a binary pair of them.

I found an A-class star that had two brown dwarfs as planets (wasn't the first, though... There seem to be no prestine systems in a radius of at least 500 light years...). Both of them had ring systems, and one of them had a "moon" large enough to hold its own ring system (about 15 earth masses or so...). I'm debating whether it would make sense to pick up a prospector limpet so I could look at the rings in more detail...

K_Jameson

Reaction score
A thing that hurts me is the way they treated the Imperial Courier, by far my favourite spaceship from Frontier - Elite II:

EmpireCourier_Docked.jpg

Aside from the redesign, the ship was drastically scaled down (by a factor of ten) from the original.

For me, the Imperial Courier (the original one) still remains one of the finest spaceship of the entire science fiction. This is the original version in a fan art, flanked by a CObra Mk III (i've not found a good screenshot of the actual ship in Frontier - Elite II):
egDhDOs.jpg

And here my very rough interpretation for Orbiter:

The Courier provides the basis for the spaceship of the leading character of a science fiction story that i'm writing. Maybe in the future i'll make an accurate rendition of that ship for Orbiter.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, what was the courier then is essentially the imperial clipper now. What I truly weep for is the imperial explorer :(

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Well, what was the courier then is essentially the imperial clipper now.

I know, I know (facepalm)...

Well,

latest

Ugly. Again.
So... we want compare?

MEIoQN9.jpg

UNpTOsn.png

And THAT THING should be the current interpretation of the Courier?
NO. WAY.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was more refering to the scale. Yes, the design lost a lot of its classines.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So, "Horizons" isn't a DLC for the game, but a separate game on the same servers? :huh:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/

Elite Dangerous isn't listed as 'Early access' on Steam anymore. :hmm:

So if I understand this correctly: If you bought the game early you are stuck in the same universe with players that have the advantages of the new content, unless you buy the game again?

Please tell me that Frontier didn't screw its early access backers this badly. :nono:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Please tell me that Frontier didn't screw its early access backers this badly. :nono:
They did. You apparently get -25% off discount for the Horizons if you owned the earlier game, but in the end it's still more than what the newcomers pay who only need to buy the Horizons to get the "complete" version.

But worry not, there will be another season expansion and people who buy Horizons now (and even a few weeks before another expansion's release) will have to buy the whole game again with the Horizons included instead of only another DLC for it, too. :lol:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't have a Dx11 compatible graphics card, so I'm safe for now. :lol:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
So, "Horizons" isn't a DLC for the game, but a separate game on the same servers? :huh:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/

Elite on steam is a mess. I redownloaded it the other day to try out powerplay so I downloaded it from Steam which gave me the game and the launcher except that both were so out of date the first thing that the launcher wanted to do was update itself which then updated the game.

Oh and Elite: Dangerous is still incredibly boring. Powerplay doesn't offer much more than moving more numbers from one place to another.

I'll get horizons when it's about £1.99 on a sale but for the moment Elite: Dangerously Dull can wait.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Must be some hell of a DLC for that price...