Enterprise floating in New York Harbor

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What is absolutely crazy to me is how the media is treating the damage is "just a bit of damage and easily repaired"

It is easily repaired. I think I could repair her myself to the point that if I didn't tell you she was damaged, you wouldn't even know it. I've done repairs on my planes that weren't just cosmetic, but needed some structural overhaul and you couldn't even see I fixed them...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New York isn't exactly of much historical importance to the shuttle program, but the orbiters were built in California, so it's fairly fitting that a city there gets an orbiter, even if that city is LA rather than Palmdale.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's appalling that Houston didn't get a shuttle that flew. Houston did far more for the shuttle program than New York and Los Angeles combined.

Oppinions are divided on that. This guy usually knows what he's talking about.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Somehow I don't think that people who go to New York as a tourist destination are going there to see an air museum...

No, sure, but the people in charge of the local economy may think it can potentially be one more "tourist trap" ;)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That is your western materialist view of historical value.

Pop philosophy? Either it's a real artifact or it's a fake. If I buy a vintage car and change out every part and then try to sell it as an original I'll be labeled a fraud, and rightfully so. And every time I change out a part it reduces the market value of the object. You can make all sorts of philosophical arguments to the contrary, but the market knows what it wants and pays accordingly. A real artifact with original parts always fetches a higher value on the collector market.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
An interesting viewpoint, thanks for the link.

That's one of the very few things I've "subscribed" to on the interweb :)

But I can understand the people at JSC were :censored: when they found out that they got 2 flown stowable MS seats from the STS programme. :lol:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
For anyone doubting how they intend to treat the Enterprise. Go look on the NasaSpaceFlight Live ferry topic on page 24 to see their "repair" and get ready to puke.

PLEASE, get the Enterprise out of New York NOW!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
#IntrepidShuttle‬ has already been repaired!

............................ except...................

..........it now looks like this! :mad:

index.php

Repairing with black spray paint! :WTF: :facepalm:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't care what Wayne Hale says, ship that shuttle to Houston!

...unless they intend to effect an actual, non-horrible repair at some point.

EDIT:

And it's '#IntrepidShuttle' now? Not Enterprise? :dry:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Pop philosophy? Either it's a real artifact or it's a fake. If I buy a vintage car and change out every part and then try to sell it as an original I'll be labeled a fraud, and rightfully so. And every time I change out a part it reduces the market value of the object. You can make all sorts of philosophical arguments to the contrary, but the market knows what it wants and pays accordingly. A real artifact with original parts always fetches a higher value on the collector market.
Warbird restorers disagree with you. As long as you've got the dataplate, everything else can be replaced.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

I don't care what Wayne Hale says, ship that shuttle to Houston!

...unless they intend to effect an actual, non-horrible repair at some point.

EDIT:

And it's '#IntrepidShuttle' now? Not Enterprise? :dry:

I assume the shuttle is still Enterprise, but it's the Intrepid Air & Space Museum, I think.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
At first I was ok with Enterprise going to the Intrepid, then I visited her just last week. As an aircraft carrier museum, if they had kept the flight deck in a closer to original condition and aimed more of the focus to the carrier, and carrier ops, and carrier battles, it'd be a great museum, but they're trying too hard and getting too gimmickey. I have to agree that the Intrepid isn't the place for a real shuttle, if they wanted one, then why not do what Huntsville did and acquire, or even build a plywood replica?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Yesterday I wanted to complain about how New York was a bad place for a shuttle in the first place and the damage Enterprise took was proof. I calmed myself down and thought it was better to wait and see.

I have seen. And what my eyes see is what my gut and heart knew yesterday: New York is not the place for a shuttle, and bad things travel in threes.

We've just seen number two.

We're all gonna cry.:cry:

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My message to New York/Intrepid: