Question Experimenting With UAP - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Mantis

Reaction score
I've been having agreat time flying the wonderful XR series of spacecraft and decided to try using the UAP along with them to get into space and dock with the ISS. My first attempts involved a manual take-off and then I used UAP to successfully Rendezvous and dock. I did find that it did not use a very efficient method of synchronizing orbits (I used a whole lot less fuel when I do it manually) but it did work.

I've now begun trying to expand that to automate the whole process from runway liftoff at KFC to ISS docking. First time I did it, I set the target only and did not realize that I had to specify an altitude and target heading and I ended up with the engines shutting down at about 1K of altittude! I fixed that and now find that I am turning to the right heading and heading for the right altitide, but I am ascending far to slowly - maybe at 10%. I did not see a way to set the ascent rate/attitude. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Target is enough.

This thread might help.

I have found that target works best if the target orbit is SW to NE (I don't remember the name for that part of the orbit). I think, if you use target, uap ignores the heading. I also think that with target, the altitude is used to end the step before reaching the target altitude.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=368810&postcount=58

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I ended up with the engines shutting down at about 1K of altittude! I fixed that and now find that I am turning to the right heading and heading for the right altitide, but I am ascending far to slowly - maybe at 10%. I did not see a way to set the ascent rate/attitude. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
That sounds vague. What are the programs you use?
Have you looked at the examples provided along with UAP?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've been having agreat time flying the wonderful XR series of spacecraft and decided to try using the UAP along with them to get into space and dock with the ISS. My first attempts involved a manual take-off and then I used UAP to successfully Rendezvous and dock. I did find that it did not use a very efficient method of synchronizing orbits (I used a whole lot less fuel when I do it manually) but it did work.

I've now begun trying to expand that to automate the whole process from runway liftoff at KFC to ISS docking. First time I did it, I set the target only and did not realize that I had to specify an altitude and target heading and I ended up with the engines shutting down at about 1K of altittude! I fixed that and now find that I am turning to the right heading and heading for the right altitide, but I am ascending far to slowly - maybe at 10%. I did not see a way to set the ascent rate/attitude. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Which Kentucky Fried Chicken did you liftoff from ?

Mantis

Reaction score
That sounds vague. What are the programs you use?
Have you looked at the examples provided along with UAP?

Programs? Orbiter 2010 P1 with the latest XR-2 and latest UAP (Runway Takeoff Autopilot). Essentially it does everything except pull up beyond maybe 10 degrees and eventually, I exceed the maximum speed for the given altitude and break up.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Which Kentucky Fried Chicken did you liftoff from ?

LOL....OOps!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Programs? Orbiter 2010 P1 with the latest XR-2 and latest UAP (Runway Takeoff Autopilot). Essentially it does everything except pull up beyond maybe 10 degrees and eventually, I exceed the maximum speed for the given altitude and break up.
Eh?
UAP is a programmable autopilot, so what program did you use in it?
Among the demo scenarios there is "Mission-XR2 from runway to ISS", does it work?

Mantis

Reaction score
Eh?
UAP is a programmable autopilot, so what program did you use in it?
Among the demo scenarios there is "Mission-XR2 from runway to ISS", does it work?

I understand. I used the programmable autopilot on the standard KSC to ISS XR-2 Mission. I programmed it to use the runway-takeoff autopilot, to fly to an altitude of 200k and a heading of 42 degrees with the ISS as a target. I even programmed it with the g key to rectract the gear. It all worked perfectly EXCEPT that it did not climb quick enough - it never exceeded about 10 degrees of climb and within minutes I was burning up in the atmosphere because of it.

EDIT: I found my mistake....I assumed that Runway Takeoff was sufficient alone to get me to Orbit...I did not realize that after that I also needed to add Liftoff where I could specify other parameters such as pitch.

Last edited: