EXT MFD re-paint?

KCB

Reaction score
Website
www.vpacconcept.org
Guys using the ext MFD's on other monitors, wanted to replace the stock white frame and buttons, got half way there by rebuilding Windows themes but the big white buttons remain and i cannot seem to track down the source of the buttons, any pointers? thanks

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Guys using the ext MFD's on other monitors, wanted to replace the stock white frame and buttons, got half way there by rebuilding Windows themes but the big white buttons remain and i cannot seem to track down the source of the buttons, any pointers? thanks

Well, its essentially a classic windows dialog, using functions existing since Windows 3.1. So, yes, you can.

With a big "but": You might end up needing to create a special window class for the buttons to get the intended result.

I did not do that kind of low-level work for about 15 years now, so please excuse me, I need to.... erm.... replace the blinker fluid in my car. I can explain the topic when I finished that task.

Of course, you could also try an alternative: Implement the dialog with the newer WPF framework using C++ with managed code extension. I never did that. But I know it works and could also allow you to get there.

KCB

Reaction score
Website
www.vpacconcept.org
wow, i put that through Google translator and it came out exactly the same...Google must be broken. I feel a deep coffee dive and a late night coming. ;) Thanks

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

KCB

Reaction score
Website
www.vpacconcept.org
Im not a coder so this is getting away from me in a hurry, how about the text on these buttons can that be edited in any way? for example using text in programs like photoshop a 'stroke' can be added. Is it possible to add effects like these as a work around?

Im asking as we have built a simpit for a classroom in Mongolia and it was designed as a dual use aerospace simpit using FSX and Orbiter. Just difficult to get the best look using Orbiter so looking for options. Thanks.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt9cYTK-7hQ&t=186s"]VPACC First Cockpit Classroom Sim Mongolia - YouTube[/ame]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Im not a coder so this is getting away from me in a hurry, how about the text on these buttons can that be edited in any way? for example using text in programs like photoshop a 'stroke' can be added. Is it possible to add effects like these as a work around?

Well bad news then: Without being a coder, you will have a terrible time getting this modded.

For example: There is a file called "ExtMFD.rc" that you can take a look at with a resource editor. It would allow you to modify the looks of the button a tiny bit.

Bad news: It was made during the VC 2008 era and is based on Microsoft Foundation Classes, which means it won't compile on newer Visual Studio versions without fixing the references.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
To KCB:

Sorry, can't help with your graphic problem, however. can you give any information on your project please?
Looks very interesting.

N.

KCB

Reaction score
Website
www.vpacconcept.org
Notebook,
We are looking at using a full spectrum aerospace experience, an entertainment approach, to try stimulate interest, inspire and nurture science literacy. Looking at developing highly immersive tactile environments, long term narratives and experience based self organized learning opportunities. Using entertainment and aerospace experiences as capture strategies for the near future. Interested how these approaches can dovetail with formal education on the backend. Classroom cockpits are not our primary mission, we are interested in much more immersive complex setups, but they are learning grounds. If you are interested I can always send you more information.