Problem External MFD + OrbiterNG + Keyboard Input = No-Go

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well, this is certainly a bummer...

but it seems that whenever an external mfd pops up one of those type-in input boxes, it's not actually able to receive any keyboard input :facepalm:

i have not confirmed this to be exclusive to OrbiterNG or to the D3D9 client (but that's where i encountered this problem) - but anyways, this renders most addon mfd's half useless when used as "external"... some completely useless, actually... since eventually some keyboard input will be required

my theory is that it's a windows-focus thing... the external MFD appears to divert input focus from the main window in some odd way that prevents one from typing into a popup box inside it... yet, clicking the main window again to regain focus makes said box disappear :dry:

i haven't been able to encounter any other posts on this matter.... not specifically, at least, so i wonder

is this a known problem? or have i overloooked something that would otherwise make things work properly?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, It looks like something is wrong in the window focus but the keyboard can be still used.

1. Open the Orbit MFD.
2. Press TGT button.
3. Move mouse over the input area but do not click it.
4. Use keyboard to navigate in the tree.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yes, that seems to work - but only in cases such as the default MFD's which have the list-thingy popup instead of the type-in box...

is there anything that can be done so those would work too? - that's the big issue here :shifty:

:cheers:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll get exactly the same behaviour under D3D9Client as with the inline engine. When the input box appears, move the mouse somewhere in the main window area and type from the keyboard and don't click with the mouse anywhere. I couldn't detect anything unusual with the LTMFD.

Try to toggle the "Focus follows mouse" from the Parameters Tab of the launchpad.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ah yes! - moving the mouse without clicking seems to do the trick :thumbup:

thanks man! that kinda solves the problem, i believe (not too intuitive, perhaps) - it's funny... the simple things we manage to not think of :hmm:

:cheers: