Finally here!

Burgh

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm really excited about being here! I've looked at Orbiter for years but available free time made it hard to ever get started with it. I read a few months ago Orbiter 2016 was coming so I've been waiting for it's release. Now I'm going to finally have a serious play with Orbiter 2016 and from the little I've learned, likely try some of the older versions as well as many addons will not run in 2016. Totally looking forward to it all!

One question if anyone can answer? I flight sim using FS2004. Compared to flight sim, how great is the Orbiter learning curve? I'm anticipating it would be similar?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Hello, Burgh.

I'll try to answer your question. I think compared to flight sims, Orbiter has a wider variety of activities. Doing an earth Orbit rendezvous has a very different feel than say, landing on the moon, which has a different feel than, say, a multi-planetary grand tour. And then, science fiction spacecraft have a different feel than more realistic craft with tight fuel budgets. It just depends on how deep you want to go. I was able to achieve orbit within a day or so, but it took almost 1 year's worth of free time before I was able to do interplanetary missions reliably.

Also note that space is counter-intuitive if you are used to flight sims. The biggest difference is that in space you velocity and you trajectory are NOT independent. You have to do the right thing at the right time and there is no turning back! You will speed up to slow down and vice versa. You will change your velocity half a world away from where you need the trajectory to change. And so on. These will get you started:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Welcome to OF!

In a few words?
Yes, Orbiter's learning curve is steeper than that of (say) FS.
But don't be scared by that: it's such a deep, beautiful learning tool you'll never regret investing your time into it.

Burgh

Reaction score
Ok, I like depth to a sim so you could say your replies certainly appeal to me. Besides FS, I do have an interest in space flight and astronomy so space flight concepts aren't completely new to me. Hopefully this will all help with my understanding.

Thanks for your replies, they make me feel positive about tackling Orbiter. Can see myself becoming hooked! :thumbup:

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Go Play In Space! is still required reading for the beginner. It explains things in a simple and logical progression.

One memory I have from beginning (several years ago) was how weird it felt to start on the Moon rather than on Earth. You do this because you want to get away from atmospheric flying, and start thinking about attitude, orientation, velocity vectors, and simple orbital maneuvers without having to fight air of heavy gravity.

TL;DR Start at Brighton Beach, hover thrust up a feel hundred meters, then full thrust horizontally to get into orbit!

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:welcome: to O-F!

Go Play In Space! is still required reading for the beginner. It explains things in a simple and logical progression.

Exactly where I was going to recommend starting. I consider it the ultimate primer for getting your feet off the ground. It's definitely a steeper learning curve than FS2004, but it sounds like you have the drive and the hunger to learn what you need. By all means, ask questions if you get stuck or need help understanding something. There's a lot of knowledge on this forum, and we love sharing it.

Burgh

Reaction score
ADSWNJ, n122vu thanks!

I'll certainly read Go Play in Space after your recommendations, I already downloaded it a long time ago. I'm the type of person who likes to read and not just jump in. I feel it will be the best approach with Orbiter. iPads nowadays are great so you can transfer PDF's and have them open while learning new software. No need to print manuals or jump in and out of software while learning.

Keatah

Reaction score
As you accomplish things you'll feel a sense of pride, over and over again.

I also feel that Orbiter and flight sims complement each other.

Burgh

Reaction score
As you accomplish things you'll feel a sense of pride, over and over again.

I also feel that Orbiter and flight sims complement each other.

Oh, I also came in thinking the same thing. I'll bet they also complement each other as time killers! :lol:
Full day on Orbiter today just reading, browsing, finding and downloading things. Chased up and installed Orbiter 2006/2010 as well. Next week intend to hit the manuals and really get started on actually using it.

Then you might be interested in the (slightly) updated online version
http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Go_Play_In_Space

Yes, definitely, thanks! :tiphat:
Wasn't aware of the online version at all.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Should also mention, this is likely the only forum I've ever joined where I haven't immediately deleted the welcome PM after I've joined. The veterans here likely don't even remember what it contains but there are some good links for learning and getting you started. It's actually a very useful welcome PM! :thumbup: