Cybertruck for Starbase

LeDive

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I would like to have a Cybertruck to transport materials and all that stuff to the Starship at Starbase in Boca Chica.
So if you are bored and have experience in adding 3D models to the sim, I would love to see this feature in Orbiter. I'm actually trying it myself, but I have to learn a bit first!

Regards.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello :welcome:
I would like to have a Cybertruck to transport materials and all that stuff to the Starship at Starbase in Boca Chica.
So if you are bored and have experience in adding 3D models to the sim, I would love to see this feature in Orbiter. I'm actually trying it myself, but I have to learn a bit first!
Go for it! Lots of folks on the forum are happy to help if you have any 3D modelling questions.

LeDive

Reaction score
Hello :welcome:

Go for it! Lots of folks on the forum are happy to help if you have any 3D modelling questions.
Hello Brian

Thanks for your reply! I'm surprised to see you here. I use a lot of your addons and they are great!
I will try to make this addon as I have time. Is there a tutorial on how to make an addon like a 3D car for Orbiter 2016?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm still here and enjoying making things for Orbiter :)
I tried with Google but I could not find a general 3D modelling tutorial for Orbiter (anyone else know of one?).

Do you have a 3D modelling program that you are familiar with? Most developers here use Blender (I think), I am 20 years behind the times and I use Anim8or and Gmax(no longer supported).

Once you have made your model, you will need a utility to convert it to Orbiter "Mesh" format (.msh), for Blender this is probably the thread you need to look at : https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/blender-mesh-tools-add-on.33475/

Take a look at the Orbiter/Orbitersdk/doc/3DModel.pdf for details of mesh format and .cfg file parameters.

If you want to build some functionality into your vehicle, you can try using a simple .cfg file, but for more control over the ground-vessel interaction and animations, you may be better off using a generic vessel module like GeneralVehicle (which has examples included, which might be useful for you).

Good luck & have fun!
BrianJ

LeDive

Reaction score
Hi,
thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm still here and enjoying making things for Orbiter :)
I tried with Google but I could not find a general 3D modelling tutorial for Orbiter (anyone else know of one?).

Do you have a 3D modelling program that you are familiar with? Most developers here use Blender (I think), I am 20 years behind the times and I use Anim8or and Gmax(no longer supported).

Once you have made your model, you will need a utility to convert it to Orbiter "Mesh" format (.msh), for Blender this is probably the thread you need to look at : https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/blender-mesh-tools-add-on.33475/

Take a look at the Orbiter/Orbitersdk/doc/3DModel.pdf for details of mesh format and .cfg file parameters.

If you want to build some functionality into your vehicle, you can try using a simple .cfg file, but for more control over the ground-vessel interaction and animations, you may be better off using a generic vessel module like GeneralVehicle (which has examples included, which might be useful for you).

Good luck & have fun!
BrianJ
Hi Brian

Many thanks for your reply and tips! I don't have a 3D modelling program that I'm very familiar with, but I will have a look at Blender.

See you soon!