Project MMSEV Orbiter2016

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
0340.jpg0341.jpg
This is the official NASA 3d model, high poly, high detail flawless mesh and textures. I've managed to import it into Orbiter in all of it's glory!

Ambitions (dreams?):
3d cockpit- alas no interior, but found some good pics
Space version- another kettle of fish!
UMMU/ alternative? and all the rest compatible

Work to do: Lots
Have already hit some limitations, using general vehicle and vesselbuilder. If anyone has any suggestions or would like to participate it would be very appreciated. I'd consider this an open project.

Currently experimenting with dust fx, but it might not work, I was hoping to tie the effect to velocity but with general vehicle they don't actually "move"!- no ground speed.
0342.jpg0345.jpg

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Glad to see you're finally back!

By the way, just in case you're currently wondering what I'm up to, Trekkie and I are currently working on visually updating many of the vessels featured in my STPSP scenarios, meaning the next update will feature changes to the scenario files, among other things.

As for my B5 stuff, if you have the time, perhaps you could create some screenshots of showing the vessels you're currently working on, particularly the Nova-class, within my updated B5 systems, perhaps even alongside the eponymous space station. (And just in case you've forgotten, for the Nova-class I recommend re-using most of its configuration file from that of the EAS Agamemnon.)

Last edited:

barrygolden

Reaction score
Oh WOW !!! way cool !!! We need to start thinking about a cargo lander to fly it to the moon as well as some hab modules. If it would fit into an Alpaca or do we need to do a stretched vertion to launch and land it

Attachments

• 1992-THE-PROBLEM-illustrated-This-image-is-from-a-joint-study-McDonnell-Douglas-in-the.png
    1992-THE-PROBLEM-illustrated-This-image-is-from-a-joint-study-McDonnell-Douglas-in-the.png
    661.5 KB · Views: 13
  • cargo lander 2.jpg
    cargo lander 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 13
  • HABs.png
    HABs.png
    600.7 KB · Views: 13

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The MMSEV drives like the LER. It was 6 independent wheels. I got the LER to work and my MMSEV. Used the same mesh as the NASA 3d. As far as interior I just extracted and made changes.

UMMU is not a thing in 2016. UACS is though.

Yes. I struggled with the 2 models of driving and flight.

BUt like I said if we want to get together and get this going. I am good with it. I was able to get the dust thing working on the FLEX,.....

barrygolden

Reaction score
Gattis has done the XEMU guys and a lot of the tools and indtruments so you sould get with him about adding this super stuff. His LER was way fun to use in 2010 and he was working on athelete as well for Constalation

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your feedback!

@Luke Reichelt: Nice to hear from you, great news! Looking forward to your updates, got some cool scifi stuff lined up too...

@barrygolden: Soon after starting a "small" project one thinks it would be nice to launch and land it too, love flying a mission all the way through from beginning to end. Hope we get there some day!

@gattispilot: I did search, my bad (been out of the loop too long?), I did so want to avoid re-inventing the wheel; really do feel that colaberation is the way to go, not that I'm not in awe of the incredible, complicated projects some manage to do solo! Hats off! I wish I could, with limmited time it's better to concentrate on my strengths; 3d, textures, configs, do have minimal coding experience, I can follow whats going on, but writing, debugging is lets say not time efficient.
I'd rather have one good mod than several mediocre ones, and I'm not looking for fame or fortune, just good Orbiter fun!
So defineately lets work together.

It's fully functional at the moment with general vehicle and vesselbuilder, has some negetives but is modular like the design so you can use the wheels for anything, just adding extra fx, and wanted to sort out the cockpit.
Where do I find your SEV? I can take a look and see what fits together best?

I've been watching your progress with UACS etc... and am hoping this will set a new president for addons in Orb2016 (and thanks also to the developers working on these projects).
I've also imported the Z2 NASA spacesuit and was waiting to see the results of your work before progressing. It would be so nice to have breathable areas etc.(again)!
There are also some MFD's with similar functionality? that I wanted to checkout?

I'll check the Flex, at the moment I have the dust assigned to a key
I was planning 3 versions: clean- no dust, mars, moon dust, with skins assigned to a key
I was thinking the space version is a different craft, modular, same body, no chassis,+ arms, propulsion, etc.

Trucking:
0349.jpg0351.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice. Let me see what I got. I hard coded my so like the Flex, LER. you can rotate the wheels 360 degrees crab walk,......

On the Flex the dust is tied to the wheel animation. MaxQ's rover is where I got it from.

YEs working to together is nice.

I haven't updated mine to UACS yet.

Ideally this vessel would drive up an habitat and dock and get people in/out. Not really possible.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
OK, hardcoded with crab walk is WAY better!
Looks like I should concentrate on skins, cockpit?

Ideally this vessel would drive up an habitat and dock and get people in/out. Not really possible.
It's also supposed to be a four door, I see only 2 docks, but maybe the back is supposed to open up? And the docks are round?

I have a HAB with square docks, wanted to use the LER from general vehicle, but it's not to scale and could do with a reskin, is there another LER?

Have an idea: I'm pretty sure the round docks are for space only, IIRC the mesh is highly detailed and under the round docks are square doors, maybe I just have to remove the space airlocks for the ground version, will take a look.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I made the LER for General vessel.

Yes. it is frustrating the changes. The SEV had doors in the rear that had 2 spacesuits.
Yes the round hatches and the square ones.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
But you have a LER hardcoded with crab walk (and the right scale)?

The LER is open architecture with the space suits outside, maybe one can take these and put them in the back of the SEV?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It is the same scale as the General vehicle. Yes hard coded.

I think we had 2 doors/covered in solar panels that opened up and 2 guys suits docked there.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
So the 3d for the back doors and suits for the SEV is already done?

Found the LER:) I think the cocpit could be adopted for the SEV? +MFD's. I'll install and take a look.
The GV version is a little too big! May need shrinking honey:)

barrygolden

Reaction score
the 2 back doors would fold up and this was looked at when they tought about the astriod sample mission

Attachments

• eEncQdGFnpJkjeWkEEB47V-1200-80.jpg
    eEncQdGFnpJkjeWkEEB47V-1200-80.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 14
  • kLArJDUopWx8i9eQfRqscQ-1200-80.jpg
    kLArJDUopWx8i9eQfRqscQ-1200-80.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe MAdella effect. I thought I had a MMSEV to drive. BUt I can do one. Imay need to redo the mesh for VC,.....

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We get this.

On the dust. Might need to add a texture. as this guy throws gray dust

Attachments

• MMSEVUACS.jpg
    MMSEVUACS.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 7

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
@barrygolden: I was planning to do a space version, if it hasn't already been made? Haven't found any pics of the back though (and many different artists impressions!)?

I tried the LER2016, crabwalk didn't work! and normal driving driving drags in the corners? GV version drives better.

The Alpaca is an impressive project, a lot if detail in there! The Alpaca has a parking problem? and the FLEX is broken: animation groups mixed up. But the dust effect is cool, reminded me of speedy gonzales or asterix!:) And I forgot what a monster stack the SLS is!

I'll up as is, if anyone wants to take it for a spin, and you can see whats of use. Let me know where I can assist most effectively.

Working link for General Vehicle
https://orbiter-forum.com/resources/generalvehicle.3158/

Attachments

• MMSEV.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So on the MMSEV

Here the rear is open. But who knows what it will look like. I had those backpack that were part of the hull

Attachments

• mmsevhatch.jpg
    mmsevhatch.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 10