Project Firebird II HLV + RARoG shuttle

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interior update

With more textures finished, i tried to play with light distribution troughout the interior to give it more 'believable' look :stirpot:

interior%2020-9-2015_zps9fippwo7.png

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
These are the best internals i've seen from long time.
:thumbup:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Your attention to detail is absolutely amazing!

But can you please use a .dds converter that compresses the files? I've seen your other work, and your texture files are uncompressed, which results in overly large file sizes.

I use "DDS Converter 2.1." If for some reason, you can't convert, do this:
-double click on the image you want to convert
-click the cyan arrow pointing to the left
-double click on the image again, then it will convert.

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice!
I'm using DxtBMP, and i save all textures in DDS DXT5 (compression ratio 4:1). Which format has better compression rate?

My previous work suffered from very uneconomical use of texture area, and resulted in a lot of 'dead data'. This time i try to use them better. So far the textures take only 32MB.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice!
I'm using DxtBMP, and i save all textures in DDS DXT5 (compression ratio 4:1). Which format has better compression rate?

My previous work suffered from very uneconomical use of texture area, and resulted in a lot of 'dead data'. This time i try to use them better. So far the textures take only 32MB.
You should use DXT1 for non-alpha map textures.

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give it a try now and than compare the resulting size...

Edit:

Results:
DXT-5 overall size: 32MB
DXT-1 (no alpha) size: 17,2MB

Well, now i remember, why i always prefered DXT-5. Although DXT-1 saves some 40% memory, the compression algorithm is devastating:

results_zpssc6uuzmz.png

Now imagine what happened to shades in the interior...

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
17 megabytes? For a single texure? Still enormous. I suggest to reduce the format of the source image...

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What's the resolution of your textures? I'm getting 5.33 MB for a 2048x2048 image, converted from .bmp to .dds using that converter I mentioned a few posts earlier.

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
17 megabytes? For a single texure? Still enormous. I suggest to reduce the format of the source image...

Nope, 17 MB would be a sum of all the textures used on the model in case of DXT-1

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

What's the resolution of your textures? I'm getting 5.33 MB for a 2048x2048 image, converted from .bmp to .dds using that converter I mentioned a few posts earlier.

Exactly the same numbers as mine. My textures are 2048x2048 or less. Those numbers in my comparison (32MB vs 17MB) mean total sum size of all textures currently used by the model.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Nope, 17 MB would be a sum of all the textures used on the model in case of DXT-1

Uh. Sorry :)

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Exactly the same numbers as mine. My textures are 2048x2048 or less. Those numbers in my comparison (32MB vs 17MB) mean total sum size of all textures currently used by the model.
I'm using generally smaller textures (rarely over 1024x512) principally because i've inherited them from old projects (I'm used to take the textures from a common database created across the years of developing).
For most of these textures I don't have anymore hi-res source images from which extract higher definition textures and I don't want to remake them from scratch (sometimes is a painful job), at least for now. The general in-game appearance remains good anyway.

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I had to create some 2048x2048 textures for large areas anyway (like heat shield, wings etc.), but there was a lot of unused area on them, so i used it for smaller parts here and there... so i don't have to create extra texture files for them.

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 ----------

I'm proud to introduce the latest example of Corvus' state-of-the-art technology: The space toilet! :banana:

zachod_zpsvw78zb5h.png

The room is not as large, as it may seem from this picture - being inside, you would hardly stand up. But it's still good for a 14m long spacecraft.
It's located aft to the scientific section, under the airlock, and it's actually rotated 90 degrees to the rest of the interior.
The toilet door will be openable by a simple animation.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Wow! This is surely a "giant leap" in the space toilets for Orbiter!
This is our toilet aboard Starlab:

And before you ask for: behind the door there is nothing! Surely, an accurate rendition of a space toilet wasn't a priority for us ;-)
Damn Jim, I'm an addon developer, not a plumber!

Seriously, great work. I love the shading...

Last edited:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Damn Jim, I'm an addon developer, not a plumber!

Seriously, great work. I love the shading...

At least your toilet has a table with necessary instructions! Mine has no such thing... just a door aaaaaand... here you go... a pipe, a hole and beam it down, Scotty! :) The texture of the toilet itself is created from a picture of a real space toilet - most probably from the ISS.

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Wait... has there never ever been a toilet like this in Orbiter? :shifty::)

Last edited:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Texturing update: the airlock

Another update, this time something more ordinary: an airlock.

It's actually quite tiny. Only one person can work inside at a time.

Large ISS large airlocks are overflowing with various EVA equipment. Lack of space in this little airlock requires that most tools
and devices are stored in deposit boxes on the sides. We can see only minimum of equipment stored directly in the airlock.
EVA spacesuits would probably be stored in a larger deposit under the floor of the scientific section.

The hatch between airlock and scientific section as well as the EVA hatch will be animated.

Screen%20Shot%2009-25-15%20at%2012.46%20AM_zpswcqwwgvr.png

Screen%20Shot%2009-25-15%20at%2012.57%20AM_zpsidauwrzm.png

Screen%20Shot%2009-25-15%20at%2012.47%20AM%20001_zpsy7etenju.png

Last edited:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Docking port

I'm deciding on what type of docking port would be the best. I have a curcular space with diameter of 1,6m reserved for it.Maybe the APAS?

Edit:
OK, decided and done. The docking adapter (inside the payload bay) is equipped with something like a mix of APAS-95 (the texture is stock d_ring) and NDS (perforated docking latches). It's compatible with both.
Landing gears and gear bays are textured. The visuals are finished. The next task is to create animations.

Some photos of the final look:
Screen%20Shot%2009-25-15%20at%2009.54%20PM_zpsnah48zrq.png

Screen%20Shot%2009-25-15%20at%2009.54%20PM%20001_zpscys1kmu6.png

Screen%20Shot%2009-25-15%20at%2009.52%20PM_zpsme0dkcjq.png

Last edited:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Munin undergoing braking chute trials:

(Both drogue and braking chute are fully animated - deployment, wobbling in the air, gradual decline and finally cutting off.)

Screen%20Shot%2009-28-15%20at%2007.15%20PM_zpsx7ftvrwq.png

Screen%20Shot%2009-28-15%20at%2007.16%20PM_zpswx992ipp.png

Last edited: