Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Huh... How much more efficiency compared to a cold-gas jet can you possibly get this way?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I've no idea. Maybe they have a very efficient way of boiling water in a vacuum?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe they have a very efficient way of boiling water in a vacuum?

Well, boiling water in a vacuum isn't exactly difficult, but there's not that much pressure you gain from that (or it won't boil, because there's no vacuum anymore, obviously) Guess I should read the article more closely.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
There's not much info there, in fact none I can see!

Maybe they have a patent or technique that will make it viable.

It caught my attention as Westcott Business Park is Reaction Engines home, so I keep an eye on neighbours.
Its also the historic home of the UK rocket engine programme. And a base in Orbiter...

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
When I read this thread title, my first thought was that the astronauts on the ISS now have access to Steam games. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, boiling water in a vacuum isn't exactly difficult, but there's not that much pressure you gain from that (or it won't boil, because there's no vacuum anymore, obviously) Guess I should read

the article more closely.

AFAIR, there is an old technology called Resistojets, that operate by heating already vaporizing water (like a super heater in a steam boiler) electrically for using it as some sort of high-massflow electric thruster.

Which would be nice because water is a common waste product on manned spacecraft. But that technology was already used on Vela satellites.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
They merely show a drawing of a tank connected with two pipes to a "System" with an orifice that may be a nozzle. Pretty thin on any information about how it works.

It says the system power is 20-40W and does not involve any pressurized systems. My bet is that it holds a small mass of water in a capillary tube and simply dumps a lot of power into it, basically causing a mini-steam explosion on demand. If the capillary tube is small enough the surface tension and exposed surface area of water could be such to limit the rate of evaporation. Maybe the water is metered into the capillary tube with something like an ink-jet printer nozzle.