OHM First Person Experience

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
First Person Experience for Orbiter lets you explore vessels in an FPS-like way. Coded in an hour or so ;) Thanks to TNeo for the original idea and Artlav for helping with the maths. INSTALLATION: Unzip into orbiter directory, activate "FirstPerson" in plugins tab. USAGE: When you're in a vessel with a VC, use mouse + right button to look around, as you would normally. Press the space button and you will move towards the direction you are facing. Press Shift + Space and you move in reverse. End toggles movement on / off. Where's Martin's head? No, this plugin doesn't behead him on purpose - The DG removes his head from VC mode. Please suggest further improvements / ideas.

More...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, why "space" and "shift+space" for movement, rather than WASD?

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used those keys because I thought they're unlikely to be used by vessels. I'm happy to change them to something else, if everyone thinks it needs to be something else.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Maybe WASD are already taken.
A is the default for "hold altitude" autopilot mode, but W, S, and D are not used. Since this sample only goes forward and back, wouldn't W/S have been easier than space/shift+space? :)

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Also, would it be possible to include the source code for this, in case a vessel designer wanted to use it in a vessel specific way (you know, that doesn't allow you to go outside the ship? :p)

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I would just like to say: This is an AWESOME add-on! :speakcool:

I would very much like to use this add-on in the ISSU Project, to move around the interior of the ISS.
As Hielor said, I would also like to include a feature that prevents the user from moving outside the vessel.

Thank you! You have just made the ISSU project a LOT easier! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods

Review by goop
Pros: Full roam! Awesome!
Cons: No collisions and no heads
Review:
Awesome addons I have been waiting for this addon since the minute I saw orbiter. This is an absolutely nesccary addon I would recomend using Descartes Total Imersion which has the largest virtual cockpit I have seen in Orbiter. This is a MUST HAVE download!

Review by axel
Pros: new exciting experience, 360° turns
Cons: maybe a little bit slow "walk", to less VCs out there
Review:
A very good work, u did a great job. The feeling in Orbiter is now mutch more real. You could only increase the walk-speed a little bit, or make it configurable. But its OK so too, 1000 times better than wihtout this. Really a must have for a good simulation.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New Update:

-Changed keys to W/S
-It reads a settings file. Camera velocity in the only thing in there atm.
-Source code included.

Orbinaut Pete said:
I would just like to say: This is an AWESOME add-on!

I would very much like to use this add-on in the ISSU Project, to move around the interior of the ISS.
As Hielor said, I would also like to include a feature that prevents the user from moving outside the vessel.

Thank you! You have just made the ISSU project a LOT easier!

Thanks :) I've included the source code for you, the "magic" is in opcPreStep. Basic cylindrical collision detection should work for you, just make sure it supports resting contact. I can't wait until you release ISSU ;)

On generic collisions, There's no point implementing them in this module since it needs to work with every vessel. I could scan each vessel's config file and look for collision boundaries, but that would take a lot of time to do, and slow down FPS a lot. Also vessels without collision data in the cfg (which would be a huge majority) would have no collisions at all.

Collisions will be smooth and more compatible if the code is inside a vessel module.

Reaction score
Is it possible to make this for work ships with "fake" VC's that just use the inside of the ship's mesh as the VC in the generic 2D cockpit mode, like Deepstar and the XB982?

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it possible to make this for work ships with "fake" VC's that just use the inside of the ship's mesh as the VC in the generic 2D cockpit mode, like Deepstar and the XB982?

Download it again, in the Deepstar's VC mode press F5.

FPE scrn.JPG

Some problems with it:
-You can't toggle the external meshes off.
-I couldn't find a way to get the mesh count (or any way of iteration) so it iterates through 100 meshes. More than any vessel should have, but just to be sure ;) It shouldn't have any effect on FPS.

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply, it works in the Deepstar, but not in the XB982 (link). The ship's visible interior (which is awesome) is just part of the external mesh, and it doesn't have an actual VC mode (or a 2D cockpit) to switch to. Is it possible to simply make it work in the Generic Cockpit mode?

Dambuster

Reaction score
Could you please add a button to allow us to reset our view position? The 'F8' one doesn't seem to work. Also, it would be nice to have the moving buttons off by default.

Great addon!!

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another update - it works in generic cockpit mode.

Could you please add a button to allow us to reset our view position? The 'F8' one doesn't seem to work. Also, it would be nice to have the moving buttons off by default.

Great addon!!

I can't find a function to reset the camera offset, only direction. If you're in a vessel that has a generic cockpit and a virtual cockpit, F8 should reset the view.

Why do you want the keys off by defualt? Just use the End key.

Ark

Reaction score
Very neat, I can float around the XR2's cabin and look out the portholes. :)

Now we just need people to make more ships and stations with expansive VCs.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Only took an hour to code?? :lol: I've been wanting something this easy to use for years in Orbiter.

One thing: It doesn't seem to work in Jon Marcure's Firefly Sport, possibly because there are already switchable view positions. The old CamControl works there though.

But for most ships this is great, and a good way to prowl around and check out the models from every whichaway....