First real-life piloting session !

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,

Just had this afternoon the short but first real piloting session on my life on a Robin DR-200 with a instructor and a friend of mine, it was indeed quite fantastic. Weather was hot and nice and the guy let me the controls for nearly 10 minutes on a 30 minutes flight, I even had a try doing some turns. The major challenge I faced were "hot bubbles" coming from the sun-heated fields below, making the plane randomly climb, and the transitions between the bubbles and the ambient air. I can't say 10 minutes were short, as I really felt the stress !

Other than that, the experience I had from flight sims really helped, as I knew the instruments, what they were saying and in which unit. What flight sims like FSX can't prepare you to is the thrill when you feel the plane sliding a bit on a wing because you were hit by a hot air current. Even if there is a watchful pro right next to you, you can't help thinking you are risking your live and his and that with a bad stall or crosswinds things can really go wrong very fast, especially at VFR altitude. But the guy said things were going really well, told to the tower that "things were perfectly smooth and that he could almost take a nap".

I was definitively gaining experience on the end, understanding that, as the instructor told me, "one says that often, the factor that prevents a plane to fly well... is the pilot". And feeling I was often over-reacting.

As a result, I'm now sure I'm going to take lessons ASAP. :cool:

url

Last edited:

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to the joy of flight, it's truly addicting! Take lessons, get your private license (that's what it's called here in the States) stay proficient, but most of all, ENJOY!!

SilverStar

Reaction score
yes, I know exactly what you mean, I was once flying twice in a Piper Archer 28, next to the pilot here on Airbase Leeuwarden in the Netherlands. The sensation you feel up in the air is what you won't experience behind your computer.....:nono:
So soon you're gonna be a pilot in the make.....?

MikeB

Reaction score
Congratulations on starting a new stage of your life. Your "before flying" days are over!

It's a bit scary at first, and you'll feel totally incompetent for a while. But when it starts to come together, and you feel your proficiency growing, you'll never want to stop.

But also don't forget: "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But there are no old, bold pilots."

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It's a magical feeling when you feel the plane come to life through the controls, isn't it? :)

E

ex-orbinaut

You described the perfect day for an Astir to become a homesick angel.

Good luck, man!

Keatah

Reaction score
Tell your instructor you have XR-2 and DG experience!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Groovy!

I've been knocking around the idea of flying too. But smaller. One of the guys here in the shop has his license and keep urging me to get mine, I've got some stick time (unofficially) in helicopters, but that doesn't really count. I could maybe take a serious look at the "sport license". THat would put me in line to get something like this;
Fishing-Stop-web.jpg

My ideal Grumman Albatross (or maybe a Goose) is out of my price range.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,
The major challenge I faced were "hot bubbles" coming from the sun-heated fields below, making the plane randomly climb, and the transitions between the bubbles and the ambient air.
Thermals - I used to fly in gliders and such atmospheric bruisers are friends, not a nuisance :)

The trick is to resist the wing tip lifting, and instead force that wing down and spiral into the core of the thermal source. (After looking out for other gliders and large birds of course!)

I've never flown in a powered plane, but of course all gliders are, indirectly, nuclear powered... :hailprobe:

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Welcome to the community, and congratulations! I am going to be taking my lessons this summer, but I have flown in small planes multiple times. It sure is fun!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations! Flying is great fun and adventure. I have my U.S. private license in C172s, but regrettably haven't logged much time since then. It's a bundle per hour, but I am thinking of doing a few touch and goes at the local airport maybe this summer.

Those Robins look like fun little aircraft. My wife (named Robin) thinks they are adorable.

EDIT: Hot bubbles are just Nature testing your resolve. It's OK.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Those Robins look like fun little aircraft. My wife (named Robin) thinks they are adorable.

I agree, they are very cute ! And also very nimble.. once in the expert hands of the instructor :lol:

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
The four forces of flight: Dreams (Lift), Reality (Gravity), Money (Thrust), FAA (Drag, the Federal Aviation Assosiation). :rofl:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I used to fly gliders in the 80's. Then the first reccession hit, and I had to quit for financial reasons. :(

Instructor told me, "...never fly higher, than you're willing to fall."

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!! :cheers:

Your life will never be the same. I'm just north of 27 hours in myself. The best decision of my life. Glad you enjoyed it!

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I agree, they are very cute ! And also very nimble.. once in the expert hands of the instructor :lol:

They're also used as tow planes where I fly, along with a couple of Stinson L-5 Sentinels forgotten there by the Americans :)