FOI - Interview with Martin Schweiger

smarly

Reaction score
Is Martin aware of the increased performance issues that Orbiter seems to have with modern video cards and Windows 7 and does he consider this a problem which might threaten Orbiter's future? Are there any plans to upgrade/change the Orbiter core/ graphics engine to make it more compatible to future hardware and windows versions?

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What's the secret to run a world-wide project like Orbiter, work, and have a successful family life at the same time ? ;)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
What's the secret to run a world-wide project like Orbiter, work, and have a successful family life at the same time ? ;)
Very Carefully...he spends a lot of time at i bet :p

I want to know, what keeps his work on orbiter going?

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
What age were you when you got the space bug?

What age were you when you started work on the first version of Orbiter, and how long did it take to get to a release state?

Looking back and knowing what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently in that first release?

What are you most proud of/pleased with (about Orbiter)?

What are your thoughts now on the decision to separate the Orbiter core from the graphics engine, allowing third party developers to build their own engines, instead of upgrading Orbiter's own engine?

What do you think about the state of real world spaceflight in general, and its future?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Very Carefully...he spends a lot of time at i bet :p

I want to know, what keeps his work on orbiter going?

Already included in the list! :)

What age were you when you got the space bug?

Interesting question! But might be included in a previous question regarding the decision to develop Orbiter in the first place.

What age were you when you started work on the first version of Orbiter, and how long did it take to get to a release state?

Looking back and knowing what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently in that first release?

What are you most proud of/pleased with (about Orbiter)?

What are your thoughts now on the decision to separate the Orbiter core from the graphics engine, allowing third party developers to build their own engines, instead of upgrading Orbiter's own engine?

Most of these are already covered, don't worry! :)

What do you think about the state of real world spaceflight in general, and its future?

Another really interesting question.:tiphat:

@All: we're now starting to compile a final list of questions, also taking into account time limitations. So please don't be disheartened if some questions don't make it, but we'll do our best to accomodate everyone.

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Today we put togheter the last questions, so if you have one this is the moment!

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Were you prepared on which success Orbiter would be? Did you get suprised when you saw how popular it got?

And why did you decide to make it for free? (but thank you for that)

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Is Martin aware of the increased performance issues that Orbiter seems to have with modern video cards and Windows 7 and does he consider this a problem which might threaten Orbiter's future? Are there any plans to upgrade/change the Orbiter core/ graphics engine to make it more compatible to future hardware and windows versions?

I think the solution to this is already in work - take a look at Windows 7 and modern hardware framerates with the D3D9 client.

Speaking of which, I wonder if we might see a time when the external client interface is completed to the point where Orbiter itself ships without embedded graphics? I can see arguments against it, but since D3D7 is aging terribly, and I know the good Doctor has just upgraded to Windows 7 himself, might this stimulate a final separation of the graphics from the core (and the bugs that are associated)?

Last edited:

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Will there be a recording of the interview and be available for viewing on Youtube.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Will there be a recording of the interview and be available for viewing on Youtube.

All of OLM's missions etc, are saved on the Livestream channel. However I may be recording this event through the Livestream service and uploading it to YouTube.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
i would check with the guys on OLM first. even though i have ad block, this stupid Levi's jeans ad keeps popping up

Reaction score
All of OLM's missions etc, are saved on the Livestream channel. However I may be recording this event through the Livestream service and uploading it to YouTube.
There is no problem if someone wants to record the event and post it on Youtube. We'll also save a copy of the interview on Fausto's PC as well as on Livestream.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
T-30 Minutes until interview.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

T-10 Minutes

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
new question: are you part-german? you have a german hint in your accent :p

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I have the event and will post on YouTube, stay tuned.