Found a really cool free solar system simulator

MPL3D

Reaction score
Website
www.mpl3d.com
Thank you very much, glad you like it :)
I'm afraid this is windows/directx based, so no plans for android at this point.
Although I do not discard that we may step into android with some sort of game based in the solar system one of these days :)
Many thanks, all feedback is welcome.

NOMAD

Reaction score
I checked a video on the link you posted, it's nice, but I think Celestia looks much better.

Celestia is better since it doesn't require hardware too much.It is also an open source software using OpenGL to display.Maybe we can use some of its code to create another orbiter graphic engine.It is a shame that the development of OGLAClient has stopped,since I thought that OpenGL was better than DirectX. Am I right?:)

Screamer7

Reaction score
Hi MPL3D.
You're work looks great.
Why don't you become a developer for Orbiter?
We need people like you to enrich an already great simulation like Orbiter.

Keatah

Reaction score
Celestia is better since it doesn't require hardware too much.It is also an open source software using OpenGL to display.Maybe we can use some of its code to create another orbiter graphic engine.It is a shame that the development of OGLAClient has stopped,since I thought that OpenGL was better than DirectX. Am I right?:)

That depends who you ask. I personally like openGL. Some of my most favorite opensource projects render using some or all of openGL.

I believe, though I am not an expert in this area, that openGL is easier on system resources.

Gumok

Reaction score
I use Stellarium, Celestia, Orbiter, Space Engine and Pioneer but this looks interesting too. It has some special features not included in other software.

MPL3D

Reaction score
Website
www.mpl3d.com
Hi MPL3D.
You're work looks great.
Why don't you become a developer for Orbiter?
We need people like you to enrich an already great simulation like Orbiter.

@Screamer7, Thank you very much!!
I'm afraid that this project eats all of my time. Orbiter is great and it has inspired me while developing the spaceship mode. I hope MPL3D concept can enrich Orbiter and its community.

I use Stellarium, Celestia, Orbiter, Space Engine and Pioneer but this looks interesting too. It has some special features not included in other software.
@Gumok, yes! You got the point ;)
I think that there would many features to comment, like the brightness compensation system, the star particles and star surface animation, the everchanging planets that may look different according to the orbit position, the variable stars that pulse according to their period, the multiple star systems orbiting, reduced orbits mode, system gallery mode... these are fetures that took many time to develop.
It comes to my mind that we have revised the 3d nebula system in the new version, and I must say that, although they are not scientifycally 100% accurate, they look much better and it feels more like you are 'getting into it'.

And about the visual comparisons with Celestia, well I don't know. I think MPL3D stars are very much better in visual quality and details. New version also has a star heat haze effect.
Planets look gorgeous with the new adaptive HDR, that performs an eye adaption to brightness effect. And so does everything else. Spaceship ligthing supports up to 8 light sources...
Of course all this needs machine resources, but quality can be lowered and it is certified that it will run even in an Intel Atom.

Many thanks for all your comments!! :thumbup:
Looking forward to know what else do you think about the particular features of MPL3D Solar System :)

MPL3D

Reaction score
Website
www.mpl3d.com
Dear all,

There is a new version of MPL3D Solar System available for download:

Hope that you enjoy it and please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Manuel Perez de Lema Lopez
MPL3D Team