Reaction score
Hi there here is the link
http://www.mpl3d.com/index2.htm

MPL3D_Solar_System_Earth_Sun_V12.jpg

Saggitarius%20A_2030-10-8_22-43-18.jpg

Wolfer

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Reaction score
I checked a video on the link you posted, it's nice, but I think Celestia looks much better.

MPL3D

Reaction score
Website
www.mpl3d.com
Hello to everybody,

We have noticed some visits coming from this community, and I want to take the chance to introduce myself, I'm Manuel, main developer of this simulation, MPL3D Solar System.

Thank you very much for all your comments, we really appreciate all the feedback. We are always accesible to any comments, suggestions or requests, as well as to know about the latests advances.

Found a really cool free solar system simulator

Well, thank you very much J_Aerospace. The simulation is shareware, it can be used freely during 7 days (or 15 uses). Incomings are used for maintenace and updates (for example, we actually spend a lot of bandwitdth, due to the big file size). Nevertheless, we give away very interesting discount codes, just get in touch if you, or anyone from this community, want to get one.

I checked a video on the link you posted, it's nice, but I think Celestia looks much better.
Well, some videos were made as long as three years ago, during the developing phase. Make sure that you check, for example, the release video:

Other interesting, and up-to-date (made with the release version) videos are:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwwJcyneZTk"]YouTube - MPL3D Solar System - Binary stars[/nomedia]

For nearly 200 MB, this sucker better have some serious eye-candy.
Hehe, well I can tell you that the software is full of media, but do not expect to see it all at once. Extrasolar planets are the main reason for this big file size, as all of them are different in appearance. For example, here is a view of Osiris (HD 209458b):

You may want to check some other planets and pics that appear in the same album.

In the current version (v1.1), we focused in keeping the scientific matters in place, rather than applying latests graphics.
The Earth picture that J_Aerospace posted above, corresponds to the 1.2 version, that is not available yet. For this new v1.2 we are taking very much into account the graphics improvements.

Last comment about the software, is that, while maintaining the scientific rigour, it is 'for the whole family', rather than for the busy astronomer, so please do not expect the complexity level that Orbiter has. All the controls and design concepts have been kept simple to use.

I think that's all, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate about asking me. Here, by email or at MPL3D Solar System user forum.

Thanks again and regards,
Manuel Perez de Lema Lopez
MPL3D Team

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Downloaded it.
Lookes not bad but I use Celestia.
It's free...:p

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I use Orbiter...it is free as well. :p

MPL3D

Reaction score
Website
www.mpl3d.com
Quote:
This program would not run on my computer. What are the minimum system requirements?

http://www.mpl3d.com/technotes.htm

Thanks tblaxland.

TMac3000, does it return any error messages? You may send us the 'bootlog.txt' file, that is in the program folder. It tell us the last step that it was able to perform.

Also, for a 'safe' config, before running the software, enter 'Configuration' -> Click on bottom-right arrow-> And then turn -Off-:
  • Night lights
  • Shadows
  • DX Effects
Lookes not bad but I use Celestia.
It's free...:p

I use Orbiter...it is free as well.

Allright, here is a 100% discount code:

161CB8A1

Now you have no excuses! ;)
The code has 15 uses, more than enough for the people interested so far. It has to be entered and validated thru the program itself, by clicking 'Buy full version'. Enter a valid email if you want support in the future.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I just downloaded this,
its actually pretty good.
Now if we could just get orbiter like that..

MPL3D

Reaction score
Website
www.mpl3d.com
Hi there was this software created useing c++ and GDK DARK
Yes, it was made with DGDK && C/C++.

I just downloaded this,
its actually pretty good.
Now if we could just get orbiter like that..
Hey thanks a lot, glad you like it.

MPL3D

Reaction score
Website
www.mpl3d.com
The new version of MPL3D Solar System has arrived :)

MPL3D Solar System (Touch)” includes now touch enabled capabilities and a customizable spaceship mode, allowing the user to flight all around the galaxy with Newtonian physics for the space flight.
Made with DGDK , this is the 5th version of the MPL3D saga, that keeps on with a continuous improvement of the original idea: An astronomy tool for the whole family.

Better textures for celestial bodies and improved graphic effects, including 7 combinations of HDR/Bloom, Heat Haze for stars and spaceship engines, and revised effects for nebulae, star clusters and galaxies.

Touch control adds a new feeling of intuitive, natural handling, bringing a new experience to the final user.

Spaceship mode enhances the entertainment side of the simulation, and even a fabulous 3d asteroids mini-game has been included. Spaceship control mode has all the common options in this type of simulations, which also include joystick and touch control, to allow a better control of the spaceship.

On the spaceship graphics side, seven configurable cameras, dozens of effects and up to eight light sources. The cockpit includes all kind of gauges for the three crew members, like gyroscope, g forces indicator, mission time, and even a 3d radar of the solar system.

Please watch these media produced with the new version:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw-I9JimhOM"]MPL3D Solar System - Travel from the Sun to the Earth at the Speed of Light - YouTube[/ame]

Image of the spaceship leaving Tokyo behind:

This simulation doesn't has the level of complexity that Orbiter exhibits regarding spaceships.
This version has been a step into entertainment for an astronomy simulation.
Hope you enjoy :thumbup:

Kendo

Reaction score
This is pretty good. It runs well, med to high configuration on my 12 year old Pentium 4. 2 gig ram, Ati 4600 HD 1gig, Windows 7 ultimate with 4 gig Readyboost.

Just added, well worth the money.

Last edited:

Astronut25

Reaction score
Can't Download

I cannot download the "Touch" version because it doesn't support Vista, but it "supports Windows 7, 8 and XP":blink:.

It will not let me download it because of that.

Keatah

Reaction score
Currently Stellarium, Orbiter, Starry Night, and Celestia serve all my "layman" space and astronomy needs on the computer.

It isn't exactly pointed out on the website that MPL3D is payware. And furthermore, it looks like the real product and service is a company making things such as this, as opposed to a genuine bit of astro software.

It would really suck if I spent 200MB bandwidth downloading it AND installing it only to find out THEN I had to pay for it.

MPL3D

Reaction score
Website
www.mpl3d.com
First of all, many thanks all for your comments, I really appreciate it :thumbup:

@Kendo, thanks for downloading. So glad you like it. I’d say “welcome to the MPL3D experience”, but I don’t want to sound overblown.
Have you tried the spaceship mode?

I cannot download the "Touch" version because it doesn't support Vista, but it "supports Windows 7, 8 and XP
Yop. I’m afraid Intel doesn’t support Vista anymore. However, if you are able to see the software listed at the store, then you can download it and it will run ok.

For nearly 200 MB, this sucker better have some serious eye-candy.
Don’t know if I mention that all extrasolar planets are different, and so they are all globular star clusters, nebulae and galaxies.
You won’t find repeated textures. Also, there is much to explore in the simulation.
And all with an extensive space soundtrack. Why nobody comments about the music? It marks another difference for us.

Is it 1994?
@Pablo, sorry I don’t get your comment

Currently Stellarium, Orbiter, Starry Night, and Celestia serve all my "layman" space and astronomy needs on the computer.
@Keatah, try a new taste. MPL3D has features that are not present in any of that software.
I would say that astrophysics is the main one. Stars are represented with its astrophysical appearance and behavior.

It would really suck if I spent 200MB bandwidth downloading it AND installing it only to find out THEN I had to pay for it.
No worries. For this version, you have to pay 0.99$ BEFORE you download it, and it is 271Mb, sorry :facepalm: