"From the Earth to The Moon" an AMSO 1.17 Apollo 11 Full Mission Tutorial Using IMFD

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Step 5 <

Step 5 <

I assume your refering to:
Step 5. Set AB Throttle down to 0.00 using the “Set” button (<) and entering “0”.

This should be done in the configruation menu of Interplanetary MFD version 5.1f through MFD version 5.1f j. Make sure your IMFD bootup says this.

Also, make sure you arent pressing AB before you set this amount. Note that by selecting this feature, you are setting your main throttle to starting and stopping on a dime. This means an on switch and an off switch. There will be no gradual cuttof just a quick cutoff.
This is so you can use IMFD's Burn time function as an accurate number of seconds you will burn. This way your dealing with absolutes and no trailing elongated estimates of burn times. I thought this would be a good idea to do this for my tutorial so that readers and I the author can more or less sync up on certain manuvers and burns.

If this setting is something you dont want. I think the tutorial can still be done without this feature. You should not have already told your LMFD to burn the program. This might be a reason the throttle would go on after setting this.

Have you set a circularize burn up before setting this? If you have set up any kind of burn prior to makeing this change in the IMFD's configuration menu then this would be the only reason your throttle goes on when selecting this setting that I can think of.

Again, this step is to allow IMFD 5.1f to IMFD ver 5.1j to more accurately predict your burn times and to make it more like the real life Apollo program.

Does this help? Let me know if it doesn't. :cheers:

Buzz Lovell

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the response. I am using 5.1j; have not pressed AB; no other burns setup. On attaining orbit using the AMSO AP I open IMFD, go straight to Config menu in IMFD and as soon as I press return after entering 0 for this value the throttle goes to 100%. I even checked to make sure the throttle on on my joystick was not enabled!

Any other ideas?

Thanks for this tutorial - my mouth is watering at finally being able to walkthrough this in an Apollo-like flight!

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Very Wierd

Very Wierd

Hmmm. Well I have just made a Help thread on why I cant even get IMFD 5.1j to work on my PC with a vanilla Orbiter 2006 P1. I have also asked Jarmo in a seperate thread to make versions like 5.1g and h available to us. It could have something to do with version 5.1j but I cant for the life of me understand why this is happening to you.

I would say that you really dont need this function at the moment. You can skip this step as it only sets IMFD up to do more realistic Apollo-like burns. IMFD can still get you to the moon without this feature enabled. Try it without that step.

I am almost positive that you will still be able to complete the interception and landing on the Moon with your AMSO vehicle with IMFD not burning at 0 throttle down amount. My advice is leave it as it is and continue the tutorial.
And by all means, let us know how it works out for you. I am interested if anything else doesnt work or especially if it does work for you.
:sorry:

skunkie

Reaction score
Imfd Help

Been using this Tutorial to learn to use Imfd When i am in LEO setting to do my Burn to outer orbit i cant seem to get my MFD's to work together in the Tutorial it says to raise or lower my RAD LON LAT and it says to watch foe the PEA Numbers ot go up or down but they never change So I cant my settings right to get a good Burn maybe i am on the wrong page or mod

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Good Question

Good Question.

First of all thanks for using my Tutorial. That is what its for. I have some questions of my own.

#1. Have you shared the two IMFDs? In this step you need to share the two IMFDs enabling them to communicate with each other.
Step 12. Share the two IMFDs by pressing “PG” then entering “0” for the ID of the LMFD-IMFD
(You can see the ID of the IMFD in the top right hand corner in the MNU)

In this step you must share the two IMFDs by selecting in the RMFD "OpMode" which coensides with the "PG" button. You must then select the number "0" to select the LMFD Interplanetary MFD.

#2. Make sure that when you boot up Interplanetary from your MFD lists, that both boot up processes say:

* Reboot completed *
version 5.1h
Date of build
Apr 14 2008

Jarmo Nikkanen

Now the version should say version 5.1g or version 5.1h, 5.1j, or 5.1k and the Date of build should be similar to the date shown above but the build date is not as important as the version number.

If your using 5.0 then the interface will be quite a bit different. This is how you can tell what version of Interplanetary MFD you are using is the boot up screen.

#3. Are you giving the IMFD Map Program in the RMFD enough time to show you the change. Usually the change can be seen about 1 -2 seconds after you make the change in the LMFD Course Intercept program. If you have slowed down your simulator to X.01 seconds per second, then you will see an even longer responce time in the RMFD map program because it normally takes a few seconds for both IMFDs to figure out the complex trig and calculus calculations it needs to give you the result of your changes in the RMFD IMFD map program.

Check these out and if your still having the problem let me know here. I am happy to help.​

skunkie

Reaction score
Went back and checked all the Stuff you listed Still cannot get The Pea to adjust when I adjust The rad SO I went into the ASMO AS-506 Scenario #5 Right before Burn for TLI and I can get them to go up and down But the IMFD is already set up all you have to is hit AB I have the RMFD Sharing with 0 and it says it in the OP mode tab But i Must have Something Set up wrong altho I have repeated the steps exactly in your Tutorial I will mess with it Some more and thanx for the great Tutorial is has been a big help!

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Hey Thanks

Hey Thanks,

I would be real interested in knowing if I skipped a step or perhaps didnt include a vital process. This is the second time somone has reported this problem with the PeA not going up. I have noticed this sometimes happening as well now that you mention it. Try changing the program from Map to something else and then back to Map. This seemed to fix the problem in IMFD for me. You can also try pressing MOD a few times until you see the configuration menu for Map Program. Change the
Accuracy down to 1.000 (Max) then press MOD again and again one more time and re-add all the various views you want like this:
Press Dsp, then Pg
Press Int and SoI
Trun on Plan (your flight path turns purple)
then press Find until the Tgt shows the target as the Moon
Press Pg and then select Cnt and set it to p-moon.

Now you wont see your plan around the perisis of the moon until about 900seconds before your ejection time and this will make changing the PeA with Lon, Lat, and RAD impossible until you get the map program to show the moon where it will be at intercept.

If you zoom out, you will see the actual moon with a yello line pointing to the location of the moon, and a yello line showing the orbit path of the moon, and since you set the Center to be the p-moon (perisis of the moon), you will see a a dotted white line leading to the hypothetical location of the moon where it will be at the time the GET shows in map.

Only when you see your path lead to the hypothetical moon location will you be able to adjust your Lon, Lat and RAD. And this doesnt show up until about 1/4 of an orbit before your ejection time. So in the LMFD you will see the time of ejection as a purple like from the center of the earth to your orbit path in realtime mode, and two purple lines from the center in Off-plane mode.

You will need to set all the default settings, (i.e the GET to 75:54:28 and the Lon 4.00, Lat 4.00, and RAD to 8M and a cheap time of ejection in Off-plane mode) but you wont be able to adjust them until you see the hypothetical moon at the center of RMFD Interplanetary Map.

I hope this helps too. Let me know here in this thread if this doesnt help or if it does so we can make the tutorial better for everyone to understand this portion of the flight. Thanks.

TeddyJohn

Reaction score
Thanks very much for this tutorial. However I can't get beyond Step 5 (!) As soon as I set the AB Throttle Down to 0 my Main Enginer goes to 100%. Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?
Many thanks!!!

It may be you're using the num pad Enter key instead of the keyboard key. AMSO uses the num pad Enter key for full throtle.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Wholly Crap!!

Wholly Crap!!

Damn, I suck. Sorry, I guess I need to fix the tutorial now to make this more evident to people.
So question, changing the AB throttle down in the configuration menu of IMFD didn't give you a little "Set Value" window that looks like this?

...and when typing in the ammount, am I to understand that using your numpad 0 will NOT work here? Because I allways use my numpad to do this and it works for me.
Can you guys clarify this for me so I can properly edit my tutorial?
Thanks in advance.

Buzz Lovell

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Damn, I suck.

Hey, YOU'RE the one helping US :)

So question, changing the AB throttle down in the configuration menu of IMFD didn't give you a little "Set Value" window that looks like this?

Yes it did, and pressing NUMPAD was definitely the cause of the problem. If it doesn't cause you a problem maybe you're keyboard is configured differently?

richard1967

Reaction score
nice work

polaris149Tiberius nice work there iv'e been away for awhile visiting family in the states. did get a chance to go to the kennedy space meuseum wich was out of this world lol. The help and Knowladge you and the rest of the guys have put in is amazing. Jarmo,polaris,pete dekota well done i realy hope i can find some time now and have a flight to the moon using your wlakthrough cheers guys
:cheers:

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Thanks guys for the help.

Thanks guys for the help here.

Ok so the issue is that some people are entering in the 0 ammount into the "Set value" window and then pressing the Numpad Enter.
I will add to my tutorial, "Be sure NOT to use the Numpad Enter when entering this ammount into the computer -Use the regular keyboard Enter key or you may experience a throttle up process."
Thanks guys for this info Ill add it very soon here.

Richard!! Welcome back. Its nice to have you back. I have two more tutorials Im working on now.
"When We Left The Earth" Episode 1 a Mercury Program Tutorial

and
"When We Left The Earth" Episode 6 a Default Space Shuttle STS to ISS Tutorial

So far just the forwards are done or the Preface. I have all the flight data compiled and ready to post into a tutorial, I guess Im just wanting to make sure its the correct or the best way to do the flights and Im a bit hesitant to post invaluable info. I dont want to look like a newbie -which I feel like I am sometimes. LOL.
Thanks again guys.

TeddyJohn

Reaction score
Fuel consumption

I haven't seen anything so far on fuel consumption such as, after LOI, the minimum percentage of fuel that will allow for necessary correction burns and TEI. So far, the best I've ended up with is 30.2 after LOI.

skunkie

Reaction score
IMFD Tutorial

Went and tried everything you said But still cannot get my pea to adjust by adjusting up or down my rad what happens is I get just a hair from my Intercept point in my map mfd it shows my Blue line heading to the Intercept and then it my blue line Shoots off into space instead of making an Orbit i have tried everythi8ng thing I can Think of but cant get a good burn due to the variables not changing has anyone else had this problem? just noticed tho in my right map setup it is set to Moon_pe and target is the moon but it still targets the earth and i can never get a good blue line orbit from the intercept point back i compared it to the set up in the amso tutorials for as-506 and i cant see any difference in the set up but that is targeting the moon and mine is still centering on eart orbit i must have somethig set up wrong somewhere

skunkie

Reaction score
Step 28. Step to the next page using the "PG" button.
Step 29. Set the GET under "Intercept" to 75:54:28 which gives a TIn of about 265.3K
Step 30. Set the "Realtime" to "Off-Axis"
Step 31. Set the "TEj" to an amount that makes the Entroute "Tot" the lowest it can be.

I think that the Tej has to be adjusted before you switch from Realtime to OFF axis

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Good Question

Good Question
I haven't seen anything so far on fuel consumption such as, after LOI, the minimum percentage of fuel that will allow for necessary correction burns and TEI. So far, the best I've ended up with is 30.2 after LOI.

On this question I would say that if the tutorial is done correctly, then you should have enough fuel to get home. I will test this out and then re-post the minimum ammount of fuel you will need to get back to earth.
Good question. Keep them comming. I like your question alot.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Hmmm Good question as well

Hmmm Good question as well

Step 28. Step to the next page using the "PG" button.
Step 29. Set the GET under "Intercept" to 75:54:28 which gives a TIn of about 265.3K
Step 30. Set the "Realtime" to "Off-Axis"
Step 31. Set the "TEj" to an amount that makes the Entroute "Tot" the lowest it can be.

I think that the Tej has to be adjusted before you switch from Realtime to OFF axis

Tej doesnt have to be set before switching from realtime to Off axis.
You should be able to set off axis and then change the TEj all you want. When your changing the TEj, you may notice that the Off-axis may change from that to realtime again, and all you have to do is set it back to off-axis again and continue.
You can set your Tej to anything after 2 min from where your at. Obviously you cant set it to before where you are because that would be in the past.
Anywhere on your orbit ahead of where you are now should work.

It should be noted that if you set it to less than T-120seconds IMFD has a problem calculating any changes you do. You should see the moon at the center in Map MFD aproximately 900 seconds to ejection.

So this means that after you have set the GET and then set the Tej up to an ejection that offers the least ammount of fuel usage (which you can determine by your Tot velocity located in LMFD course program bottom left side) then when your Tej gets to about 900 then you should see the moon at the center of the IMFD Map Program in the RMFD. This will only happen if you have set the Center (Ctr) to "p-moon" your target should be Moon and your center should be moon-pe.

Make sure your at Tej 900s when you begin your changes from the default Lon 4.00, Lat 4.00, and RAD to 8M. Meaning the default Lon 4.00, Lat 4.00, and RAD to 8M should be already set by the time you get to Tej 900s.

Notice that the Rad is set to 8.00M not 8.00k if its not 8.00M then you wont see your planed intercept hit anywhere near the moon.

Does this help?
Let me know.

If your having trouble, try doing the steps in the tutorial up to the point where things dont look right.

At that point stop, save your scenario, and then report here what step your at and this may help me to find what your doing wrong or what the tutorial is not telling ppl to do.
The tutorial is not perfect so I welcome any helpfull work we may do to clarify things for everyone.

skunkie

Reaction score
That did it i was setting my rad way to low with no K or M after the value Works great now I ejected out of Earth's orbit on good trajectory after Setting to 8.00M
Thanx for the Help and the tutorial!!!