Fundamental Forces and Dark Energy

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
This should actually be the right community to ask about this, I have been wondering for a while.

Science assumes four fundamental forces and I wonder how dark matter and dark energy fit in there. Dark matter would probably be gravity, and dark energy is not a force as such but a trait of spacetime? Or how about the concept of negative gravity?

Wondering.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Negative gravity and dark energy are two sides of the same coin. More commonly called the Cosmological Constant, it is the presence of an energy that permeates the entire Universe to generate a total negative pressure, which in turn creates negative gravity. It is the same mechanism that initiated the Big Bang, and is responsible for the expansion of the Universe to accelerate.

Dark Matter is a form of matter that does not interact with light. What it is we do not know as of yet, but the best theory I have come across is that it may be the Supersymmetric partners of the known fermions, the selectrons, squarks, sneutrinos. Very heavy, and is actually the dominate form of matter in the Universe.

I am being brief on the subject, but that is the general jist of it all.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
And then there is also this: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_flow"]Dark Flow[/ame]

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is another one of those crazy phenomena that is currently explained with parallel universes.

At least that is the best argument I have seen.

In Inflationary Cosmology, the universe exists in a field, called an Inflaton. This field jitters due to the nature of Quantum Mechanics. When they jump up to a high energetic state, it creates the negative pressure I mentioned in the earlier post, and we get a big bang. This is only for a portion of creation. And not a very big one either. There have been numbers that show the size of an Inflaton jump could be only about 20 feet big, maybe smaller, and it would still create the known visible universe.

In other places of the Inflaton, this will happen, but at their own time. These bangs do not happen all at once, nor is the seperation uniform. We could be in a cluster of universe where one neighbor is closer than another, and this is exerting a force on our universe.

There are other explanations. String Theory has a way of parallel universe being created within a pre-existing expanded universe, so there is a chance that somewhere in deep space in our Universe a new one has been born, and is exerting a force.

But at this point, who knows?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Dark matter is just heavy stuff that you can't see.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
so it's like the Force... it's everywhere, it has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together

kinda like duct tape as well :hmm:

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
What I was getting at was: Can things like Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Dark Flow be explained only with the four fundamental forces or would we actually need a fifth force? Because if that is so, pretty much or entire physics model would be flawed.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
none require a fifth force. Dark Matter helps describe "Extra" gravity in terms of galaxies, dark energy helps describe the negative gravity in the Cosmological Constant, which always was negative gravity, back to when it was first proposed by Einstein, and any action involving the attraction in Dark Flow, if such a thing truly exists, will surly be explained by gravity.

In short, we do not require a fifth force, nor have we ever seen a reason to suspect a fifth force.

akbmuruhan

Reaction score
Science assumes four fundamental forces and I wonder how dark matter and dark energy fit in there. Dark matter would probably be gravity, and dark energy is not a force as such but a trait of spacetime? Or how about the concept of negative gravity?

Wondering.

Yes, dark matter is observed by its gravity. However, gravity is very special when compared to the other three fundamental forces.

Dark energy is, I suppose, something to do with the fundamental act creation (of everything in the universe). I suppose, the accelerated expansion of the universe means that the creation of space, which creation started with big bang, is now going on at an accelerated pace.

---------- Post added 12-15-11 at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-14-11 at 07:57 AM ----------

What I was getting at was: Can things like Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Dark Flow be explained only with the four fundamental forces or would we actually need a fifth force? Because if that is so, pretty much or entire physics model would be flawed.

I believe, new physics may be needed.

Dark matter can be explained with gravity, but with a different definition of gravity.

To explain dark energy, as I mentioned earlier, the four fundamental forces may not be sufficient since it may correspond to the act of creation.

I do not have much to comment about dark flow.