Project G42-200 StarLiner

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
if you're gonna re-enter, use Glideslope MFD and just control bank , i managed it first time round, im sure you will be able to as well

also, why is the landing speed (i found its below 100) much lower than rotation speed (about 130-150)? i knew it would be slightly lower, but not that much

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

in fact, now youve reduced pitch trim alot, you may not be able to hold 40* AoA, even with full RCS, let us know how it goes ;)

well, i took too long to deorbit and found myself in a much steeped reentry than i had hoped for... missed target by a couple timezones... but i didn't give in, i let it climb back and took 'er for a curved descent... all worked out in the end...

and the reason for the landing speed being so much lower than vR, is most likely because more than half of the ship's takeoff mass got burned up during ascent :rolleyes:

unlike airliners, most of the G42's takeoff weight is fuel, so you can expect that the spped differences between t/o and landing will be a lot greater than what we're used to from FSX and stuff :hmm:

:cheers:

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
and i was starting up the RAMCASTERS (i was at mach 5) when orbiter... crashed.
it wasnt a CTD, coz it never went to the desktop, it just froze, ill check the log, but i doubt there'll be anything there.

Ah yes, I forgot but I got that as well in one of my runs yesterday. No CTD, but a total freeze up of Orbiter.

Also noted the jittery HUD info on wheelstop, but that seems resolved. I should have remembered the motors were still spinning.

All in all, a fun, forgiving ship to fly!

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I was running Orbiter on my Laptop. It has a 3ghz AMD Core Duo w/ Radeon 550HD Mobile Graphics card. With an in-game resolution of 1280/720 the frame-rate rarely dropped below 30 FPS.

My flight experiance last night was pretty much the same as Halcyon's and Grover's so I'll skip the Play-By-Play and just say that you've done some amazing work. :tiphat:

Now for my biggest gripe:
I normally fly with my cockpit FOV set between 45 and 50 degrees as I find that this is a good compromise between detail and periferal vision on most VCs.

Durring accent I often found myself having to "zoom in" to read my MFDs or fuel state, this is annoying and time consuming for those of us still flying with a Mouse/Keyboard.

I like how you Implemented the "Lean" feature on the engineer's POV camera and would suggest that rather having Ctr-Alt-Up move the pilot's camera closer to the HUD it should instead move the camera forward and focus on the MFDs.

Like so...

I feel that this would make fine-tuning Orbits and other MFD intensive activities (like docking) a lot easier on the pilot.

PS: I still want an overhead window for the pilot seat.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Nicely done with switch view clicking on co-pilot and revers... :thumbup:
Since it's alway low FPS I use to it...bad PC...

26438266.jpg

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
found big bug. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what causes it but heres how to re-create:
start scenario.
start engines in normal way, engage the afterburners
open the ramcaster doors
set the ramcaster to ign
press 0
press + (both numpad)
watch your ship get flung into space
I think you'll agree this constitutes a major bug, the sequence outlined above could easily be done accidently mid flight (that's how i found it...)

jthill

Reaction score
I'm having a bizarre problem: the main, retro and hover engines provide no thrust. The RCS thrusters work. I've tried doing it in a clean install, same result. I don't have a joystick hooked up.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are a few switch flicks listed in the readme file.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
remember that unlike the DG, the '42 has real ground-effect lift modelled when close up to the surface, this would indeed cause it to "float off" if you overpitch when flaring... settings might be off, tho... perhaps excessive

You might have already fixed this by addressing this^ but on takeoff the '42 doesn't require any back pressure on the stick to lift off the runway. It just takes off on its own.

Just something I noticed.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@jthill you probably forgot to ignite the engines, read the documentation in the "addon docs" folder to find out how to run the engines

ive found a possible source of the "crash-but-not-CTD" bug
after re-entry, i had come quite short of my target, so i levelled out, and after settling down and shifting the wings to supersonic cruise, i prepared to activate the RAMCASTERS
the sim froze as i pressed the 0 key to throttle up, no warning, nothing unusual beforehand.

and yes, i was well within the operational range of the RAMCASTERS, mach 3.5 at 35K alt

it seems to be a bug buried in the coding somewhere, perhaps Moach can find out whats causing it

thanks guys

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So there is an RCS. Oops. :embarrassed:

It would be nice if the user could turn off individual EICAS screens once they're in a more complete state, to save FPS when they aren't being used.

I'm having a bizarre problem: the main, retro and hover engines provide no thrust. The RCS thrusters work. I've tried doing it in a clean install, same result. I don't have a joystick hooked up.
Read the manual. There is no retro engine, and the hover throttle controls the RAMCASTERs. The main/RAM engines require some operations in the cockpit which are covered in the documentation.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
found big bug. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what causes it but heres how to re-create:
start scenario.
start engines in normal way, engage the afterburners
open the ramcaster doors
set the ramcaster to ign
press 0
press + (both numpad)
watch your ship get flung into space
I think you'll agree this constitutes a major bug, the sequence outlined above could easily be done accidently mid flight (that's how i found it...)

I was able to reproduce the above bug on my system in 2 of 4 attempts. I suspect that it may be linked in someway to Grover's issue below.

I've found a possible source of the "crash-but-not-CTD" bug
after re-entry, i had come quite short of my target, so i levelled out, and after settling down and shifting the wings to supersonic cruise, i prepared to activate the RAMCASTERS
the sim froze as i pressed the 0 key to throttle up, no warning, nothing unusual beforehand.

*Emphasis mine*

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
if the bug doesn't occur, press 0 again, then press + again, if it hasn't happened by this point, you've been very lucky.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'm messing around with switch and throttle positions.

It seems to have something to do with cutting the main engines and switching to SCRAM without completely zeroing out their respective throttles before hand.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
probably the RAMCASTER and the main engines stepping on each others toes.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
you can run both with no troubles, i was trying to break mach 1 over KSC doing that

and when i found my bug, i hadnt used the main throttle for 5 minutes (real and sim time), it was zeroed as well

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
probably the RAMCASTER and the main engines stepping on each others toes.

You're probably right.

I made a quicksave.scn just prior to transition from SCRAM to Rockets so I could continue to experiment. I've been able to reproduce it 2 more times.

So far this is what I've observed...

Manipulating the Main Engine throttle or ignition switches with SCRAM at 0%, leads to a smooth transition.

Manipulating the Main Engine throttle or ignition switches with SCRAM between 1-100%, leads to a 50% chance of freak out.

YMMV, but i'm pretty we're looking at multiple instances of the same issue.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
this is strange, i managed to run both at the same time recently.

could it possibly be something to do with re-entry? did you make your tests after leaving the atmosphere or without leaving it at all?

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
you can run both with no troubles, i was trying to break mach 1 over KSC doing that

and when i found my bug, i hadnt used the main throttle for 5 minutes (real and sim time), it was zeroed as well

I've been able to ignite the SCRAM with main engine operating and run both together but not vice versa.

What were your switch positions? were main engines in "cutoff"? Was O2 feed internal or external?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I had the bug occur stationary on the runway... I was playing around with trying to take off with everything going :lol: