Project G42-200 StarLiner

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ok, all i can find is that we need speedbrake for WIP2, kill the "idle thrust" of the turbojet engine when on the ground (not for realism, but for orbiter's sake) and get the CoG shift so we can work out re-entry now our trim is much weaker, and we wont be able to use RCS (see my last post, did you at least consider having a set of "pitch up" RCS nodes similar to those on the lower nose of Atlantis to aid high-AoA flight?)

i dont think we should do any more testing, since we've already laid out so much to change for WIP2, its down to you now to play with your code :D

thanks Moach

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok, all i can find is that we need speedbrake for WIP2, kill the "idle thrust" of the turbojet engine when on the ground (not for realism, but for orbiter's sake) and get the CoG shift so we can work out re-entry now our trim is much weaker, and we wont be able to use RCS (see my last post, did you at least consider having a set of "pitch up" RCS nodes similar to those on the lower nose of Atlantis to aid high-AoA flight?)

i dont think we should do any more testing, since we've already laid out so much to change for WIP2, its down to you now to play with your code :D

thanks Moach

the "idle thrust"problem is now fixed - just remember to set the "turbine cycle" switch to "cut" so the engines can spool down :thumbup:

this mornings test flight showed that even a slight CoG correction (now simulated in an "abbreviated" manner) of a few tens of centimeters worth is more than enough to make for a highly stable reentry

the intended RCS doors will not completely remove your hability to control the craft out of the atmosphere, that because not all jets require being closed before reentry....
the ones that do get closed are the lower roll thrusters, the linear-back set and those located on the nose section...

while having the doors closed reduces RCS power and stabilty, they are still ok for orienting the craft prior to reentry - during which, the ACS can take over untill wheels-down :cheers:

and don't worry, you can still keep up the testing... just ignore things related to aerodynamical handling and whatnot - bugs still need reporting, and i'm sure there are many lurking around :rolleyes:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You mean things related to aerodynaics, OMS, and re-entry? That doesnt leave much...

Ill see what i can do ;)

jthill

Reaction score
Keep hitting F8, VC view drops a few degrees each time.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I may be jumping the gun here but If I wanted to mesh up some payloads what dimensions am I limited to?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I may be jumping the gun here but If I wanted to mesh up some payloads what dimensions am I limited to?

that'd be 4.2 x 15.5 x 3.4 meters...

it's slightly smaller than the shuttle's, but the cost/kg ratio is unbelievably more on the happy side :lol:

jthill

Reaction score
it's really spotty on the mfd-direction shift keys. some keys are delivered to the left mfd but not the right, and some shifted keys trigger the same action as the unshifted ones but are also passed to mfds so they react too.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Forgot to report the key intercept problems earlier. I kept finding my canards open at hypersonic speeds because N opens the canards regardless of what modifiers are placed on it, and shift+N cycles through songs in Orbitersound's MFD. That could result in more than a few flaming deaths farther down the development road, when opening the canards at mach 18 causes the vehicle to disintegrate... :shifty:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Forgot to report the key intercept problems earlier. I kept finding my canards open at hypersonic speeds because N opens the canards regardless of what modifiers are placed on it, and shift+N cycles through songs in Orbitersound's MFD. That could result in more than a few flaming deaths farther down the development road, when opening the canards at mach 18 causes the vehicle to disintegrate... :shifty:

good call - i hadn't thought of that :cheers:

i'll see about those MFD keys... i might have to figure something out so you can use keyboard shortcuts on all the screens... by default, Orbiter only directs them to the right and left ones via the shift keys - i'll see if i can come up with a way to address the others as well :hmm:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i suppose ALT and CTRL are taken? that doesnt leave many options.

i dont mind anyway, i prefer to use the actual buttons mostly, and if i REALLY need to use the keyboard, i just put that one in the left, its never failed me yet ;)

laters!

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
that'd be 4.2 x 15.5 x 3.4 meters...

it's slightly smaller than the shuttle's, but the cost/kg ratio is unbelievably more on the happy side :lol:

Thats 4.2m wide and 3.4 tall correct?

In otherwords If I confine myself to a 15m long cylinder 3.4m diameter I should be ok correct?

Also, what would be the max payload mass for launch or return?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thats 4.2m wide and 3.4 tall correct?

In otherwords If I confine myself to a 15m long cylinder 3.4m diameter I should be ok correct?

Also, what would be the max payload mass for launch or return?

correct :thumbup:

not sure about mass... that's one for our brave test pilots to fogure out :salute: :cheers:

Ark

Reaction score
Sort of on that topic, what is the optimal amount of fuel to have left after reaching orbit? I've learned the "ideal" reserve with the XRs due to experience, but what's a good number to shoot for in learning to fly this thing?

jthill

Reaction score
It's a simple oversight, anyone could make it. It just needs fixing, that's all. It doesn't look intentional.

Put
Code:
    if ( KEYMOD_SHIFT(kstate) ) return 0;
up front in clbkConsumeBufferedKey and clbkConsumeDirectKey after any logging or whathaveyou. It's that easy.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's a simple oversight, anyone could make it. It just needs fixing, that's all. It doesn't look intentional.

Put
Code:
    if ( KEYMOD_SHIFT(kstate) ) return 0;
up front in clbkConsumeBufferedKey and clbkConsumeDirectKey after any logging or whathaveyou. It's that easy.
Beaten to the punch again! Was about to say that. :ninja:

jthill

Reaction score
i'll see if i can come up with a way to address the others as well :hmm:

yeah, I think that's not going to work. the lshift-rshift convention goes back to the start afaict and extending it would mean snarfing keys other components use. Two MFD's worth of keyboard controls is good.

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been addressed. I installed the addon, and loaded up the scenario, and got ... nothing. the scenario loads, but the ship is not there. I have the orbiter default cockpit, and it indicates no fuel. When I switch to external view, there is nothing there, no mesh, no textures, but the spacecraft is listed in the switch craft list. Does anybody know what's going on?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This usually means you havent installed it properly, try it again and pay close attention to the readme

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been addressed. I installed the addon, and loaded up the scenario, and got ... nothing. the scenario loads, but the ship is not there. I have the orbiter default cockpit, and it indicates no fuel. When I switch to external view, there is nothing there, no mesh, no textures, but the spacecraft is listed in the switch craft list. Does anybody know what's going on?
What version of Orbiter are you using?