Project G42-200 StarLiner

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi,MOACH there seem to still be the the problem of the switching between the pilot,and engineer with the tab button after awhile it won't work,even when you click the background.BTW great work.:thumbup:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
could be division by zero....
yet, there are very few divisions going on - multiplication is tons faster, so whenever constants are involved, i multiply by a precalculated "reciprocal" (value / const = value * (1/const))

that leaves us very few actual division operations to double-check for zero issues...

it's more likely the lookup tables driving the engines are still flipping out under certain conditions...
i have still been unable to replicate any of those... so i appreciate all the info you guys can provide

one thing worth checking - ensure both main engines and ramcaster are "closed" before starting the rocket cycle
in the lack of a proper gauge for that, use the spot view to visually inspect that the ramcaster ramp and nacelle intakes are shut :rolleyes:

other than that, we'll have to wait and see, for i'm in the middle of rewriting the entire engines update code

and yes - all the switches will be at least flickable... (it's hard to simulate stuff like cabin ventilation, unless you're willing to go for some highly specialized hardware :lol:)

the keyboard on the FMC will most likely remain just for visuals (and conceptual coherence).... i can't see why one needs bother rigging every key when you have a setup just alike right in front of you - and plus, how much harder is it not to go about typing with the mouse? :cheers:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Just took the G42-200 StarLiner for a spin around the Cape. And then tried to take her to orbit.

Two words came to my mind: Absolutely Stunning!

Or... let me put it this way:
If the G42-200 was a burger at McDonald's, it'd be the...
"McGorgeous"!!! :lol:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Who's talking about McD's? G42-200 is a great culinary achievement, not something cooked in a backyard...

Interceptor

Reaction score
Moach, I think I found the easter eggs 1. on the enginers side the windshield wiper controls are backward,and 2. on the engineers side computer screen there is minecraft display.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Moach, I think I found the easter eggs 1. on the enginers side the windshield wiper controls are backward,and 2. on the engineers side computer screen there is minecraft display.

:lol: - almost - the minecraft thing is one, for sure - but the mirrored controls on the engineers side is just a pending texture glitch

there's one more -intentional- easter egg, it's just around that general area :thumbup:

one hint: :hailprobe:

Mrev95

Reaction score
Found it!
On the icing protection system, the center switch (probe) hasn't got a WARN sign above it, but a HAIL

Attachments

• G42-200-WIP2EasterEgg1.jpg
    G42-200-WIP2EasterEgg1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the probe smiles upon you! that was it, indeed! :cheers: :10sign: :hailprobe:

kevin580

Reaction score
Website
www.ascensionspaceagency.jimdo.com
Wow, that was not so easy to find... :hailprobe:

I love this ship, very good! I have a problem...In the VC my FPS goes down from 40fps to 5fps... That's not good... But the rest is good, nice to fly!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Huh? It's released already?
Search failed, newest thing i found is from October 2010... Any help?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yeah, my bad, i kinda (completely) forgot to upload to the hangar :uhh:

will do tomorrow, as soon as i get a chance... should be up in a couple of days after that... 'til then, that link above should suffice :rolleyes:

halcyon

Reaction score
So I guess I'm the only guy that can't fire the OMS engines?

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I guess I'm the only guy that can't fire the OMS engines?

well, right now i can't either...
but in my case that's mostly because i had them disconnected so could replace the engine code...
so far so good, too - no crashes after compiling and my apartment is not on fire... i haven't seen any velociraptors either, so i guess it's going fine...

unfortunately, now that i took the engines apart it's a little hard to try and locate a possible cause for your predicament...

so here's a number of random guesses instead:

- delete the VC_SWS line from the scenario (you mighht have tried that already)
- ensure main engines are set to INT - flick the switch to "int" and inspect inlet doors closed from spot view (no indicator yet)
- check both turbine cycle and rocket cycle switches are set to "cut"
- make sure all propellant tanks are fueled (at least not empty) - including the fourth "dummy" tank that only holds 1kg
- check that ramcasters are off (switch to "cut") and ramp closed
- zero out your thrusters by pressing * on the numpad... can't hurt :rolleyes:
- cut off ramcater throttle (hold numpad . until lever doesn't move any further back)
- ensure that you don't have any other addons or MFD's that could try to tamper with your thrusters
- check joystick cable not eaten by dog/cat/gerbil/robots (who knows :shifty:)
- if the throttle authority switch stops in the middle, that's bad - it should be a 2-position switch (double-check first suggeestion)
- delete all G42 0related files and reinstall
- reinstall Orbiter
- reinstall windows
- reinstall computer
- draw a pentagram on the floor, light candles and sacrifice small animals
- wait for WIP-3 (i figure that's probably unacceptable, tho) :lol:

other than that... i don't know... hope this helps, and if it doesn't, try not to sacrifice anything cuddly :cheers:

Keatah

Reaction score
I didn't know add-on testing was so unorthodox and hazardous:blink:

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hey folks...
not that i have annything REALLY interesting to say, but i figured i'd just post a progress update, which i seem to have failed to do in a while...

it's kinda hard to post pics, since i've been mostly working on sound FX and other non-screenshotable features...

anyways, we got a nice set of custom sounds for cabin ambiance, engines, wind-vs-windshield (when visor is down) and whatnot....

i'm still half-way through with it... it's a tough gig, getting them all set, mixed and working... anyways, APU is "working" (turns on/off, makes noise :hmm:) - and you can hear some of the fuel pumps when those are running (might need a good set of speakers, as some are rather subtle)...

the main engines now feature a half-decent spoolup sequence - and their internal logic is being rewired down to the bones (no more bugs, i hope)...
the fuel pumps actually matter, thus engines cannot run with less-than-nominal feed line pressure (which is more than i can say for FSX, i guess :lol:)

the afterburners also have a custom sound.... actually, the main engines (in ext mode) now play 3 loops - one for the jet-whistle, which you can hear pitch up and down like a real turbine would - another for the "jet rumble" that gives a full-powered engine a good deal of "humph!" (and you can hear from farther away in spot view) - plus, the afterburner sound :rolleyes:

all that added up with the dynamic-pressure-bound wind roar (only with visor down), plus the fuel pumps, and all else make for a very dense audible experience when flying the '42...

at the time, we're at about 35 different sound effects... but there will be more, lots more... OrbiterSound apparently supports up to 60 "slots", but i think i can get beyond that if i "connect" to it a second time (get 60 extra slots)... we'll see :p

and yep - the majority of these sounds are fresh out of the bag - only a few were scrapped from the G42-100 (most weren't up to code with my expectations for the '200)

it was worth the trouble in the end :thumbup:

plus, i figured a way to "overmix" those dense-and-steady loops in order to remove any loop-giveaway artifacts that would become rapidly annoying (you know... those bits of sound that constantly remind you that what you're hearing is a loop)

i managed to cull those off by crossfading a loop with itself up to half-way at the start and end of the clip, overlaying the heads and tails and vice-versa :stirpot:
then, to further blend and boost the richness of the loop, i took that crossfade hookup and overlaid it over itself a number of times, each with a little time offset to and fro...

to finalize, all that is condensed into a single clip - which i get from the mixdown of all overlaid tracks only on the time-range of the initial clip...

the result is a deeply immersive, full-spectrum, solid mash of smooth-looping sound - and it sounds even better when put into context with everything else in the sim :woohoo:

'guess those years of being in a band, recording and playing didn't go to any waste at all :RnR1::headbang::cheers:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Good sound SOUNDS good!
See what i did there?

Cant wait to get my computer back and take it for a spin (ive not got round to WIP2 yet :( )

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I really can't wait for the next WIP! I 've just spent an afternoon (and a good part of the night), trying to figure out a good ascent profile.

I think that i've found it, i managed to dock with the ISS, in less than two hours, after take-off.

The whole "trick" is to - first find out , how far away the ISS is supposed to be, when you take-off and then stay in the "Goldilocks zone".

-If you're climbing too fast: lower your "nose"

-If you're "speeding", use the trim, to adjust your ascent.

The RamCaster MFD is priceless!

It allowed me to follow an ascent profile, like this:
Goldilocks.jpg