Project Galileo II probe to Jupiter

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Ok, copy that!
In any case, if you decide to walk that way, i can help you perform single Venus slingshot to Jupiter (i know how to use IMFD tool for that)

K_Jameson

Reaction score
This would be a great help! Grazie fausto!

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

The new integration test of Galileo II with Salviati and his aeroshell.
Soon, the textured version of the main probe and his kick stage... but before, i must complete the documentation of the Eridanus spaceplane, or Fausto will kill me! :rofl:

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Just for fun: the aerobraking sequence from the movie "2010, the year we make contact".

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Babelonia, but, as you can see at page 3 of this thread, i have already developed a kick stage for Galileo II.
This is a "cryogenic space tug" with 25.000 kg of Lox/LH2 propellants and one RL-10-B-2 (or Vinci) cryogenic engine. The same tug will be likely utilized as Lunar Braking Stage for the future Lunar Lander for the Antares Spacecraft.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
A request: have you some hi-res of the Voyager, Galileo and/or Cassini spacecraft? I’m going to texture the main probe and a visual reference can be useful.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I'm reviewing the mesh to reduce the polygon count, that currently (in anim8or) is around 32000.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
For keep high the attention on the project...
...Cassini and Galileo II side by side.

(Cassini mesh courtesy by NASA)

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Trajectory and flight plan updates:
The optimal launch window for this mission occours on may 15th, 2031, heading for Venus. Then, a slingshot to Jupiter.
Soon more details!

K_Jameson

Reaction score
An overview of the textured main probe.

A reproduction of the "Dialogo sopra i due massimi sistemi del mondo", the Galileo's magnum opus, applied at the spacecraft hull.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
A first version of the mission's official logo, by Vittorio (Robitaille_Fan).
Telescopic image of Jupiter and its moons: courtesy of Marco Bruno

patchg11.jpg

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Thanks to the hard work by Fausto, now we have a credible flight plan for the Earth-Jupiter trip, with a VEEGA (Venus-Earth-Earth Gravity Assist) trajectory. :thumbup:
The "Salviati" Europa lander now has a propulsive stage (informally named "Simplicio" from the other main character of the Galileo's "Dialogo"). This stage will perform the circularization burn around Jupiter and the EOI (Europa Orbit Insertion). A cover will protect the delicate lander during the long VEEGA trip.

I have improved again the scientific instrumentation of the lander, that now includes an APXS (Alpha Particle X-Ray Spectrometer), a LIBS (Laser Inducted Breakdown Spectrometer), a thermal and electrical conductivity probe, a magnet array experiment, a stereoscopic camera and a descent camera.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The new version of the logo, inspired by the original Galileo logo:

original:
galileo_logo.gif

...and the custom fairing for the mission.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
First orbital test into the simulation (for the launch autopilot configuration). The spacecraft looks pretty good in Orbiter.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Other screenshots from LEO testing (animations not yet implemented: the magnetometer boom, the sounding radar and the radio science / plasma waves antennas are stowed):

The first image is the same of the screenshot contest ;-)

Because of some limitations/problems with SC3 i will be maybe forced to write a custom DLL for this addon. This take time, because i'm a complete rookie in this field. In fact, the release date of Galileo II will be considerably postponed...

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Thank you very much, MaverickSawyer!
Here, some screenshots of the landing complex for Europa, for the first time in the simulation:

1. The sequence of the cover and lander detach from the propulsive stage.

2. The "Salviati" Europa lander - upper view. Shows in the foreground the meteoroid detector plates and the (folded) arm with the Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectrometer, the Infrared Spectrometer and the Stereoscopic Camera.

3. "Salviati" Europa lander - bottom view. Shows the descent radar, the descent camera and the folded arm with the grinder/drill, the Alpha Particle X-Ray Spectrometer, the microscope and the TECP (Thermal and Electrical Conductivity Probe).

---------- Post added 12-01-11 at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-30-11 at 05:37 PM ----------

A rough demo of the landscape at the landing site. For better protection against the harsh radiations from Jupiter, the landing site will be likely placed at the far side of Europa.

Last edited: