Discussion Generic Interface for vessel control

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
O-F Staff note - split from Starchaser developement thread.

Well, a general standard for spacecraft to launch vehicle interfaces would be nice, but I doubt such a thing can be done well. Something like the CANAerospace model would maybe work, with predefined variable numbers, so the spacecraft can do things like:

-Request VELOCITY_X
-Set RATE_XYZ to 0.0
-Trigger SEPARATE_PAYLOAD1

Of course, the rocket would still have to know how to fly itself, so things like TVC or separation/ullage rockets are handled internally by the launcher.

Not sure if this model would also fit well on a maglev rail launched winged booster.

My question was rather just about if only your launcher will be supported or if other launchers could also use the same interface then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well - I'm not sure about it. That's question rather for Woo482 than me. Also I think it's bit early.

Limited application of this has been made already in Themis and HCLV where MFD exchanges data and commands with LV. At this moment I want to expand this function to handle manual inputs.

What you talking about is another layer between LV and control inputs. Since we also plan to develop new versions of Themis and HCLV with better meshes and visuals and lots of code improvements, creating universal interface is not bad idea. I have no doubt Woo can pull it off but at this stage it's bit to early to decide. First I need to determine LV setup, finish meshing & texturing and create logic for flight computer of shuttle itself.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You can set-up UAP from the cockpit.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if UAP can handle TVC controlled rockets. LaunchMFD has same problem. withh common control interface framework it'd probably be easier to make generic autopilots without worrying if it'd work with particular LV. But we don't have this standard at the moment. Sure I could probably emulate TVC using RCS but I'd consider it hack not a solution.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I am sure I could make a C++ library, that you can link into any Orbiter add-on for communication via clbkGeneric(). The question is just, what would be a good interface between library/facade class and a vessel?

It would not do any autopilot function or display, just the low level stuff that is vessel-independent. Also, a MFD could never get commanded, but a MFD could also use the interface for talking to its host vessel...