Generic Mod Enabler

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
A penny for your thoughts!

I recently had a look at the Recommended Addons thing. And, strike me down, I saw the Generic Mod Enabler. I downloaded it, and am currently in the process of installing my addons with it. But it's taking AGES. Dragging on and on... little things like deleting/re-naming the readme.txts so that I don't have to disable them in the order that I enabled them... :censored:
I can see that it's a good thing to use, but is it worth it?

Anywho, don't post too much, or I'll be broke.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
A penny for your thoughts!

I recently had a look at the Recommended Addons thing. And, strike me down, I saw the Generic Mod Enabler. I downloaded it, and am currently in the process of installing my addons with it. But it's taking AGES. Dragging on and on... little things like deleting/re-naming the readme.txts so that I don't have to disable them in the order that I enabled them... :censored:
I can see that it's a good thing to use, but is it worth it?

Anywho, don't post too much, or I'll be broke.

This is a thing that bothered me for ages too. Especialy those addons who come with a readme that goes straight to the orbiter root (what the hell were you thinking developers?).
But believe me, it is worth it!
Either you just don't care about the readmes beeing overwritten (They are kept in the MODS directory) or you customize the directorys so that all those common files are no longer in them, i.e. readme, spacecraft.dll etc...

It didn't take me ages at all. I use total commander's branch view feature and delete them all in one move (it displays the files in all subdirs as if they where in the current one).

Where can I cash my penny?

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The version of JSGME that I use allows you to put docs in a folder called "documentation" in the addon folder itself. You then right-click on the addon name in JSGME and a menu of the docs appears, allowing you to open the file. I think this was changed in the latest version of the mod enabler, but it still allows you to organise docs in a logical way AFAIK.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Maybe a tutorial is in order as I too had several issues figuring it out. Most problems come when developers release something not packaged right (dont you hate that, or an addon that comes with no scenarios. No scenarios = no play!) :p

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Maybe a tutorial is in order as I too had several issues figuring it out. Most problems come when developers release something not packaged right (dont you hate that, or an addon that comes with no scenarios. No scenarios = no play!) :p

No scenarios is even worse than the constant readmes... :mad:

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses guys! You've inspired me to continue installing Orbiter... :D

This is a thing that bothered me for ages too. Especialy those addons who come with a readme that goes straight to the orbiter root (what the hell were you thinking developers?).
But believe me, it is worth it!
Either you just don't care about the readmes beeing overwritten (They are kept in the MODS directory) or you customize the directorys so that all those common files are no longer in them, i.e. readme, spacecraft.dll etc...

It didn't take me ages at all. I use total commander's branch view feature and delete them all in one move (it displays the files in all subdirs as if they where in the current one).

Where can I cash my penny?

Total Commander... I'll have a look at that.

Oh and you don't really want that penny...

*EVIL CACKLE* (that would look better if it was in the font Chiller...)

I think this was changed in the latest version of the mod enabler, but it still allows you to organise docs in a logical way AFAIK.

It would be awesome if it had a little window on the bottom that displays a user-made description of the mod, similar to Orbiter's description.txt system for the Scenario folders. That way people could easily work out what pre-requisites what.

Most problems come when developers release something not packaged right

Re-packaging the DGIV skins is a pain... :coffee:

Dogsbd

Reaction score
Website
members.tripod.com

This bothers me to no end. I wish all add on developers would segregate all of their add on files, not just readme's, into their very own directories.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
You can find Total Commander here: http://www.ghisler.com/
It once was named Windows Commander. Guess which company sued against that name!?!

I've been using it for more than 10 years now and it is the only thing that makes working with windows bareable for me. (Bash for windows can't do it for me...)

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
JSGME help... again...

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Generic Mod Enabler to add stuff to text files? For example, when installing Ascension Island (and other bases with custom meshes) you have to write stuff in the base.cfg, so the meshes will work. Does anyone know how to do this, indeed, if this is possible? If not, are there any other programs that will do this? I don't really mind having to run two programs when enabling and disabling bases.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Generic Mod Enabler to add stuff to text files? For example, when installing Ascension Island (and other bases with custom meshes) you have to write stuff in the base.cfg, so the meshes will work. Does anyone know how to do this, indeed, if this is possible? If not, are there any other programs that will do this? I don't really mind having to run two programs when enabling and disabling bases.

Thread merged with your previous JSGME thread which was located on page 1 of the thread list. One thread per topic please. :cheers:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Oh, sorry. I thought that would be considered bumping... Thanks Tex.

No worries. ;)

By keeping it in one thread, especially if it was a recent thread, it will aid others doing forum searches. Instead of finding a bunch of threads discussing the same topic they would find the majority of posts in one place.

Topic bumping would be if you just posted the thread and post again simply trying to get a reply. I think the rules mention you can post again if you have other info to add and if 24hrs has passed in this case it definately did. Anyway, sorry to stray off-topic, just clarifying for you. :speakcool:

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Ok, thanks again Tex.

I'll just quote my post again, so people know what I'm asking:

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
No James, there is no way to do what you suggest with the Jones enabler. What I do is create a modified cfg file and put that into the add-on folder within Jones, which obviously changes the exsting cfg when you activate the particular add-on. That way, you revert to the original each time you disable the add-on as well.

A bit of a pain, but I have found that the effort is worth it.

For chaging configs and the like, the free program 'winmerge' is a pretty useful tool, by the way.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I too had similar problems with GME. to be exact main troubles where with those:

-readme.txt - no good solution except for manual editing of distrib before installing. Just remove them or renaming and throw into Add-on Docs dir.

-base.cfg - if add-ons requires base to have extra texture it had to put it's name in base texture list*. Luckily nothing bad happens if in that list are nonexisting texturs. So one can install extra base with GME, manually edit base.cfg and that's it. Deinstalling will not require changing cfg to previos state, it's even good that way - next time that base will be installed again - config file is ready for it.

-sol.cfg, existingplanetname.cfg or sun.cfg - anything that just tweaks this (like adding extra planet or making atmosphere or sun to look nicer) is doomed GME style - don't even bother installing them with GME unless it's the only addon that tweaks this particular file

-SpacecraftN.dll - same trouble as reame files in main folders, except that it's not addon developers fault :) So you either stuck with manually removinf spacecraft redistribution from add-ons or have to uninstall addons in exact inverse order you installed them.

After all this was done - it worked as smooth as was possible. I could activate and deactivate addons fast and easy. That felt good, yet useless ;) I just don't need to activate/deactivate addons very often. Of course I use GME now - after all it IS usefull after all that preparation work, I just feel that all this was not worth it :-/ Looks like and old solution of having separate installs of orbiter would have worked just better (in effort/reward sense).

Yet of course idea of add-on installation that is easy and similar for all addons is an interesting one. Installation of good packed add-on is just that - simple similar procedure of extracting it to main orbiter directory. It's deinstalling is the hard part. And config editing. And module activation, may be :)

Ideally, automatic install/deinstall utility should look like this - you choose directory or archieve for installing - and thats it. Same for deinstalling - just choose item from list of installed addons and you're done. And well, it's technically possible to make, even the config problem could be solved - all that is required is to make some standard for config edting notes. (And make every addon developer to put them in distibution should they need config editing, but ahem.. i'm discussing technical difficulties not organizational $)

*And is that texture list even necessary? Something like textures\basetextures\ folder will work just as fine except without all that messy config editing stuff. Anyone aware of a place, where i can suggest this tiny improvement for next version?

Reaction score
-sol.cfg, existingplanetname.cfg or sun.cfg - anything that just tweaks this (like adding extra planet or making atmosphere or sun to look nicer) is doomed GME style - don't even bother installing them with GME unless it's the only addon that tweaks this particular file

You can just copy the sol.cfg to the new addon's folder, and modify the copy and install it. I have 3 addons that modify sol.cfg (OuterPlanets, Pluto, and Kuiper objects pack) and they all work just fine with GME :).

Also, the newest version (2.1.0.107, click the Updates link in the GME window) greys out addons that can't be disabled without disabling other addons, which is useful. It would be nice though if the dialog that says the addon can't be disabled would have a button to disable all the addons that overwrite the addon's files.

Overall though, JSGME is awesome:speakcool:.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
You can just copy the sol.cfg to the new addon's folder, and modify the copy and install it. I have 3 addons that modify sol.cfg (OuterPlanets, Pluto, and Kuiper objects pack) and they all work just fine with GME :).

Also, the newest version (2.1.0.107, click the Updates link in the GME window) greys out addons that can't be disabled without disabling other addons, which is useful. It would be nice though if the dialog that says the addon can't be disabled would have a button to disable all the addons that overwrite the addon's files.

Overall though, JSGME is awesome:speakcool:.

True, it is awesome, just a pain to install initially...

Master of Blades

Reaction score
I am unable to install addons with JSGME... It's usually a problem with "docs", it gives me a "x mod has already created the folder "Add-on Docs" yada yada, and if i choose to ignore the warning, the aforementioned Addon stops working D: