Genesis Mission

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
NASA's ill fated "Genesis" mission to collect samples of the solar wind while orbiting the Sun->Earth L1 point. More info here:
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCatalog.do?sc=2001-034A

It's been in the pipeline for a while - "Genesis" now available at www.avsim.com

gencomp2yb2.jpg

Add-on includes:
Genesis spacecraft, AS350 recovery helicopter, GenesisMFD, flight notes, scenarios, etc.

Features:
Genesis SRC - automatic parachute deployment with 1% probability of failure.

AS350 - various autopilot options for easy flight and SRC parafoil interception.

GenesisMFD - graphic record of your trajectory around L1 point, also gives numerical info about position and velocity of L1 point, etc.

Extra requirements:
Launch scenario requires "Delta II Missions v.2" ( www.avsim.com )
Jarmonik's IMFD - essential for navigation

I really thought this was going to be an impossible mission to complete - but if you get the launch right and you know how to use IMFD "Map" display, it's really not so hard :) May be of interest to anyone who has wondered how Lagrange Point "halo" orbits work.

A tip 'o the hat to Mission_cdr for suggesting this (many moons ago!)
....and to Mustard, Jekka & Momo for their textures that I always use....
and a huge "MERCI!" to the chopper-meister Brainstorm for the AS350 (the most complex part of the add-on!)

Cheers!
Brian

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Wonderfull addon! First thing I have to say is that the AS350 (even on itself a nice addition to Orbiter) flies great, good sounds too.
[Edit] I've just managed to grab the Genesis out of the air with the hook, and bring it safely to the ground. Nice experience to do something like this in Orbiter! [/Edit]

regards,
mcduck

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Fantastic add-on. The model of the Genesis spacecraft looks great. The recovery with the helicopter is also a lot of fun. Now, I just need to work on my skills on flying to and from LaGrange points.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[Edit] I've just managed to grab the Genesis out of the air with the hook, and bring it safely to the ground. Nice experience to do something like this in Orbiter! [/Edit]
Thanks McDuck. Yup, Brainstorm really did a great job on the AS350 :)

Missioncmdr said:
Now, I just need to work on my skills on flying to and from LaGrange points.
Well, I still can't figure a way to actually plan how to go to a Lagrange Point in Orbiter - I tried making a "marker moon" that would be at the L1 position at one moment in time(as a target), but neither IMFD or TransX gave me a remotely sensible launch solution. For Genesis, I just followed the NASA launch schedule as closely as possible. But using GenesisMFD, I think it shouldn't be too much of a problem for a DeltaGlider to get to L1 once you're in the right general area.

ryan said:
Why did you say it was ill fated? It succesfully brought back some samples.
Very true. A lot of useful science has been extracted from it.

Regards,
Brian

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
I got one question. Is there some way to "force" a parachute failure? Not that I approve of destroying expensive spacecraft, but I was thinking there should be an option to end the mission as it really happened.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got one question. Is there some way to "force" a parachute failure? Not that I approve of destroying expensive spacecraft, but I was thinking there should be an option to end the mission as it really happened.
:lol: You want to see it go splat? Once the SRC has been jettisoned, exit the sim and edit the (current state).scn, find the Genesis_SRC vessel entry and change the line CONFIGURATION to
CONFIGURATION 3 1

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was flying the helicoptor that comes with Genisis and it's a bit tempermental, maybe a little more control could be put into this, if your doing a next version.