Getting the word out

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is just a hypothetical question. I think that we have a very cohesive, and loyal following of individuals associated with Orbiter. For the most part, we all want our "hobby" to keep improving and advancing. My question is this...if a person were in a position to get the "word" out about Orbiter in such a way that a much larger population would be made aware of it, would it be advantagous (i.e., by increasing our enrollment, developers, donations, etc.), or do you think it would diminish what we already have? I look forward to your input. :thumbup:

stevcast

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
ain't no laws 'gainst it.

this is a very welcoming community. I've shown orbiter to many many people and only had fleeting interest from a few. Even people who i was certain to be excited about it had passing interest at best. I think most people interested in orbiter find it really fast by searching. That's how I found it many years ago by searching for "space flight" or something of that nature. Orbiter is pretty easy to find for those who are predisposed to interest, IMO

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I just run it on various computers in public places, and mutter comments to myself as stuff goes right or wrong. It typically draws at least one or two people over. :) After that, I explain what it is, and how to get it. Sadly, most people then find KSP! :lol:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think it would be a good thing to do, tho' in my experience, everyone I've talked to about orbiter have shown little interest. Only my sister has considered learning how to use this simulator. :lol:

I think, if we were to expand our community, we'd need some sort of group or convention. Not on a large scale. Maybe start an official Orbiter Forum mission stream that runs 24-7 that can be used for teaching people how to use the simulator. People would see it and might try it themselves.

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just run it on various computers in public places, and mutter comments to myself as stuff goes right or wrong. It typically draws at least one or two people over. :) After that, I explain what it is, and how to get it. Sadly, most people then find KSP! :lol:

Muttering in public can draw the wrong kind of attention!!:rofl: I mean, let's say that Orbiter was mentioned on the Oprah Show, or on the national, and/or global news. Would it be too much, or do you think it would be beneficial?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
This has been mentioned before -> http://www.orbiter-forum.com/blog.php?b=1128

Personally (and possibly selfishly) I'd rather people find Orbiter through a bit of working (such as using google) rather than being told 'Hey, there is a space sim here' because I don't want to have to do with people who don't have the first grasp of Physics and think that Orbiter is broken because they can't get into orbit on the first go or because the shuttle can't land on the moon.

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This has been mentioned before -> http://www.orbiter-forum.com/blog.php?b=1128

Personally (and possibly selfishly) I'd rather people find Orbiter through a bit of working (such as using google) rather than being told 'Hey, there is a space sim here' because I don't want to have to do with people who don't have the first grasp of Physics and think that Orbiter is broken because they can't get into orbit on the first go or because the shuttle can't land on the moon.

Sorry!!! I must have missed the other thread when I checked. You are definitley correct as far as the learning curve and appreciating the physics envolved. It certainly serves to eliminate those who may think that this is an arcade type of simulator. However, with an influx of motivated new members comes the possibility of innovation and different ways of looking at old ideas.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry!!! I must have missed the other thread when I checked. You are definitely correct as far as the learning curve and appreciating the physics involved. It certainly serves to eliminate those who may think that this is an arcade type of simulator. However, with an influx of motivated new members comes the possibility of innovation and different ways of looking at old ideas.

I think this is a worthy topic to bring up, and to be honest, I dont really think I know the answer. Ive shared SamuelEdwards experience of telling people about Orbiter & getting no response at all.

I would argue that the video productions, particularly those by Tex & the Italians are the best tool for Orbiter publicity, but I think a bit of a change in the "marketing strategy" for Orbiter would be nice. Loading up the Wiki page on Orbiter with the shot of the space shuttle launch makes Orbiter seem kinda dated. I think it would be better if the stock Orbiter install tried to cover Apollo, the shuttle, & maybe SpaceX with about the same level of detail the shuttle has now. Only including the shuttle seems a bit narrow to me. :shrug:

Would any of our more experienced members care to comment on what things were like back in the 2007-2009 heyday of the community? There seemed to be a lot more interest in Orbiter back then.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Would any of our more experienced members care to comment on what things were like back in the 2007-2009 heyday of the community? There seemed to be a lot more interest in Orbiter back then.

I joined here in Mid 2008 and I don't think Orbiter was in it's heyday. If anything else I think interest was falling due to issues accessing M6, O-F still being the new boy and there being a few other forums around for Orbiter it all seemed a bit of a mess (from where I was sitting anyway).

Fortunately we had Tex and Vash coming together to get it all organised to what you see today, O-F and OH.

During 2008 there were approx. 379 addons posted to OH. 2012 saw approx. 280. Yes, it's lower but I still think that's a pretty good amount of addons. that's approx. 5 a week and I don't think that there are many communities that can boast such an addon bonanza.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
I'm in the same camp as Gary, ie. people who want orbiter, will find orbiter. I think that very fact is key to out community haing the devoted members it does.

That said, Let us not forget the tireless efforts of the OF admin/moderator crew who keep this community on the straight and narrow without any apparent oppression. It's a tough balance to get right and I think the team does it admirably.

So combining those two points. The danger with 'advertising' orbiter is in attracting too many "where is teh shooting?" "Zomg this game sucks, I can't get into space" etc. now that's not to say I don't respect those that want to shoot stuff in orbiter, or need help with the steep learning curve. But it strikes me that, in general, those interested in the subject of space flight enough to search for and find orbiter, are the ones more likely to stick with that learning curve and fit into the community. A bit elitist of me? Perhaps, but probably not wrong either.

Fwiw, my memories of the M6 server back in day, are not half as good as my memories of more recent years.

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm in the same camp as Gary, ie. people who want orbiter, will find orbiter. I think that very fact is key to out community haing the devoted members it does.

That said, Let us not forget the tireless efforts of the OF admin/moderator crew who keep this community on the straight and narrow without any apparent oppression. It's a tough balance to get right and I think the team does it admirably.

So combining those two points. The danger with 'advertising' orbiter is in attracting too many "where is teh shooting?" "Zomg this game sucks, I can't get into space" etc. now that's not to say I don't respect those that want to shoot stuff in orbiter, or need help with the steep learning curve. But it strikes me that, in general, those interested in the subject of space flight enough to search for and find orbiter, are the ones more likely to stick with that learning curve and fit into the community. A bit elitist of me? Perhaps, but probably not wrong either.

Fwiw, my memories of the M6 server back in day, are not half as good as my memories of more recent years.

I guess what I would like to see happen is a way to attract those individuals that can handle and do appreciate what the true nature of Orbiter really is (that is a physics accurate space flight simulator). When I found Orbiter, back in 2008, I had seen the addons at avsim, and had been really excited about it. As far as my expertise in planetary physics etc., I will admit that I am no Phd, but I know enough to appreciate how much work and effort is involved in space flight and the physics involved.
I think that alot of those "desirable" individuals are out there on the internet, unaware that a space flight simulator such as Orbiter is available for free. Another point is that although an increase in the awareness of Orbiter may indeed attract some of the "shooter" class enthusiasts, there may be at least some of these individuals that will get caught up in the whole science/physics aspect and learn to appreciate a flawless LOE, or ISS rendezvous, as much as blasting Klingons to obliteration and want to learn.
It is my opinion that although more doesn't necessarily mean better, with an increase in talented individuals that contribute to the Orbiter core, it will afford a greater opportunity for physics accurate addons and will serve to further enhance the realism of Orbiter (although I have heard that blasting a few Klingons or Romulans before bedtime has a sedative effect).:rofl:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
although its also possible quite a few people download it, feel that it sucks, and then delete it without ever even bothering anyone on here. I didn't didn't find O-F until I discovered that I needed some help getting started, which meant that I was interested enough to get started or I wouldn't have searched for help.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

also dont forget o-f registration reuires a user to answer a question. Answering a question can be ironclad security barring access to those with a certain mmmm... Mentality

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
I think that alot of those "desirable" individuals are out there on the internet, unaware that a space flight simulator such as Orbiter is available for free.
You found it, I found it, urwumpe obviously found it... The list goes on. I do see what you're saying, I just think your argument is moot.

, there may be at least some of these individuals that will get caught up in the whole science/physics aspect and learn to appreciate a flawless LOE, or ISS rendezvous,
This for me is a more valid argument, but i suspect more effort than it is worth. Besides, for the best impact in this regard i think it needs to beused in an educational setting, which I know some do already. but perhaps if you are a big believer of the 'if we can make a difference for just one kid then it will be worth it' school of thought, then perhaps we could make a new forum section just for that and you could moderate it. ;)

It is my opinion that although more doesn't necessarily mean better, with an increase in talented individuals that contribute to the Orbiter core, it will afford a greater opportunity for physics accurate addons and will serve to further enhance the realism of Orbiter
I appreciate I probably seem very elitist and down on your ideas so far, and I do appreciate what your point is. And I certainly would always encourage new modders and players, but orbiter will always be niche. Niche things are found by those who have that interest, its how niches operate. I just don't think we need to advertise orbiter in any proactive way. I personally don't think that's part of martin's vision, but on that I could obviously be wrong obviously.

Mantis

Reaction score
I think promoting it in the right places can help. I found Orbiter through a very detailed article in a magazine dedicated to flight simulators a few years back. That sort of exposure can bring ideal users who will "get it".

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I found Orbiter via coincidental meeting on the VATSIM forums. I stuck with it hard because it filled a niche I craved since childhood.

I agree with what's been said above. People who are predisposed to this kinda stuff (and are bookish and like to learn) will find Orbiter in their own time. I agree with Gary at the same time (incoming sarcasm) that it's better to have a smaller, more knowledgeable audience, or at least one who is willing to learn then have a bunch of Vloggers and pubs show up and complain that the space shuttle "won't fly right" and that it "takes too long" to fly to Mars (comments I have received after allowing friends at the helm of my install.)

A small, quiet, dedicated community with some silly folk is fine by me.

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think promoting it in the right places can help. I found Orbiter through a very detailed article in a magazine dedicated to flight simulators a few years back. That sort of exposure can bring ideal users who will "get it".

I appreciate everybody's input. What does everybody think would be a "right place" to promote Orbiter? It would have to be somewhere that caters to the "niche" that has been mentioned, but not sites that would open the door for those who may not be ready for the "challenge" that Orbiter presents. Any ideas?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
NASA, SpaceX to name a couple.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
NASASpaceflight.com? I haven't been there much but it seems to be a place for spaceflight engineers. I've seen a few Orbinauts from here on there.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
NASASpaceflight.com? I haven't been there much but it seems to be a place for spaceflight engineers. I've seen a few Orbinauts from here on there.

I don't really think Chris Bergin would appreciate people trying to push Orbiter over there. besides, it has been mentioned in a few threads.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=317.0 is a good example of how badly wrong it can go.

NASA, SpaceX to name a couple.

NASA already use orbiter for some public outreach.

If you want to promote it then you need to get it mentioned in astronomy magazines. Maybe an article on the educational values of it? To promote it on other space sites and within NASA and spacex is pointless. Those on other space sites will already know about it if they choose to use it and those at NASA and SpaceX already have STK to use.

Screamer7

Reaction score
I appreciate everybody's input. What does everybody think would be a "right place" to promote Orbiter? It would have to be somewhere that caters to the "niche" that has been mentioned, but not sites that would open the door for those who may not be ready for the "challenge" that Orbiter presents. Any ideas?

What about You Tube?
There are already a good portion of Orbiter Simulations floating around on You Tube.
There the person interested can see firsthand what Orbiter is capable of.
But alas, I think a person must be a die hard fan of spaceflight and everything associated with it.