Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Photoshop

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Foofoo14

Reaction score
I'm curious to know whether Gimp if more popular than Photoshop or vice versa.

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Not exactly the most accurate poll, GIMP is free, whilst photoshop is bloody expensive....

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
True, but AFAIK GIMP doesn't have a DDS Plugin, so its popularity among orbinauts would be significantly lower.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It does have such a plug-in...I remember modifying a skin in GIMP and saving it in DDS format a couple of weeks ago.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
At home - Photoshop CS2
At work - Corel X3

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I prefer Paint shop Pro, It handles better on my three year old computer.
I happily run the Gimp on a computer that is more than 5 years old. But that is in Linux, where the Gimp has a natural advantage, because there it can share the GTK libraries with the GNOME desktop environment.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I prefer Gimpshop over Gimp due to the many windows Gimp has...

And yea, not really fair comparing Photoshop with GIMP. Photoshop handles, feels and acts like a professional software. I've not encountered a bug in it yet... but you pay big time for the quality.

GIMP on the other hand is free and comes with it's disadvantages... but can't really complain about them cos the software's free...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I use GIMP at home. I don't like Photoshop's interface, at least the version I used at work (CS3, IIRC), but maybe because I'm more familiar with GIMP's interface.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm curious to know whether Gimp if more popular than Photoshop or vice versa.

It entirely depends for what purpose: For texturing of amateur models, GIMP certainly takes the cup because it's free.

However, as soon as you want to PRINT something, you can shoot the GIMP out of the window, at least if you don't have a friend that has photoshop and can do the colour corrections for you. GIMP has NO CMYK-model, which makes it utterly useless for anything that's got to come out of a printer (or even a press) in large series.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Gimp has a great deal of effects; that's why I use Gimp, and that's probably why people would prefer it over Photoshop. Plus my dad won't buy PhotoShop because it's too expensive.

Mantis

Reaction score
Photoshop is the defacto standard for graphics professionals but it can be quite difficult for the non-professional to grasp or to afford. GIMP has the advantage of being free to obtain which would explain it's growing popularity.

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I voted GIMP, but I actually do most of my stuff with Inkscape. When it's time to make a texture, I distort the picture in Inkscape such that it is a power-of-two number of pixels in each direction, then export it as PNG then pull it into gimp to save a GIF copy for Anim8or and a DDS copy for Orbiter.

I'm learning about panels now and doing the same thing... Draw in Inkscape, save as PNG, wash through Gimp to make it a BMP.

I'm all about free software... Freely ye have received, freely give.

Unstung

Reaction score
Photoshop is more advanced than GIMP though most people use neither program to anywhere near its limits.
RisingFury: GIMP only uses one window per file in the 2.6+ version.

Last edited: