Project Grand Explorations REBORN

SpaceEagle

GEP Reborn Project Manager
Reaction score
I and 4throck and BruceJohnJennerLawso are collaborating to remake and re-code missileman01's (totally impressive) Grand Explorations spacecraft, we also plan to update Canaveral_1975.

As you know in a thread that missileman01 said Carl Romanik (Chode) will update them,but I see him having no progress updating,a nd alot of Orbinauts like exploring the Solar System with historical probes

ETA: January 31, 2015 (or much more longer, if that's the case I'm sorry)

STATUS: Currently coding with 4throck and BruceJohnJennerLawso Myself. Spacecraft3 and Multistage2 again :facepalm:

We need guys to go to museums and take pictures of the Pioneer H model, Voyager and other stuff in the Grand Explorations pack for textures

DEV TEAM:
SpaceEagle
4throck
BruceJohnJennerLawso
<-- DON'T THINK BrianJ WILL HELP US

ALPHA TEST TEAM:
IronRain <-- Alpha Test Leader
*Pls PM SpaceEagle to participate*

BETA TEST TEAM
IronRain <-- Beta Test Leader

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We need guys to go to museums and take pictures of the Pioneer H model,Voyager and other stuff in the Grand Explorations pack for textures

Any volunteers to go check the flight models? :lol:

Great to see this happening, Ive always wanted to see those old add-ons reborn. I'll see what I can do to help out.

SpaceEagle

Reaction score
Any volunteers to go check the flight models? :lol:

Great to see this happening, Ive always wanted to see those old add-ons reborn. I'll see what I can do to help out.

Hey Bruce! I see your an add-on developer,can you help us(you'll get credits too!)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey Bruce! I see your an add-on developer,can you help us(you'll get credits too!)

It just depends on what you want (and how much time I can spare). What skills do you have between the two of you at the moment?

SpaceEagle

Reaction score
It just depends on what you want (and how much time I can spare). What skills do you have between the two of you at the moment?

Only doing Orbiter .cfg files and .scn files

I NEED SOME SPACECRAFT 3 TUTORIALS!

C++ coders for a special MFD for doing Correction Manuevers and Burns plus Timersfor the next event that will happen

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only doing Orbiter .cfg files and .scn files

I NEED SOME SPACECRAFT 3 TUTORIALS!

C++ coders for a special MFD for doing Correction Manuevers and Burns plus Timersfor the next event that will happen

I could help code vessel modules with the MCC stuff built in. Id just need to do some research to figure out the best method though, never worked on trajectory code of any kind. I think I'll download the last source code for TransX.

SpaceEagle

Reaction score
I could help code vessel modules with the MCC stuff built in. Id just need to do some research to figure out the best method though, never worked on trajectory code of any kind. I think I'll download the last source code for TransX.

NOTICE: BruceJohnJennerLawso added to the DEV TEAM

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

NOTICE: BruceJohnJennerLawso added to the DEV TEAM

Bruce,check your PM,I will send a zip file containing all the Grand Explorations sats (Still for Orbiter 2003) and the Canaveral_1975

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Changed 5 things in the .gfg files

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
DEV TEAM:
SpaceEagle
4throck
BruceJohnJennerLawso
<-- DON'T THINK BrianJ WILL HELP US
Would love to, but just don't have time to commit to big projects :-(
Looking forward very much to a new Cassini and Galileo to play with!
Good luck :thumbup:
BrianJ

SpaceEagle

Reaction score
Yeah,me too Brian,I can't get the development to full swing until I graduate that sucking Okinawan Shorin Ryu Karatedo class this May 26,and our Sensei get be mad if I go absent,good it's not just me developing it.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

The current plan is release the GEP missions in chronological order, which would be:

1) Pioneer 10 & 11 to Jupiter and Saturn
2) Mariner 10 to Venus and Mercury
3) Viking 1 & 2, orbiting and landing on Mars
4) Voyager 1 & 2 to Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune
5) Magellan to orbit Venus
6) Galileo to orbit Jupiter
7) Ulysses to polar-solar orbit via Jupiter
8) NEAR to orbit Near-Earth asteroid Eros
9) Cassini-Huygens to orbit Saturn, land on Titan

Washingtonian

Military Brat
Reaction score
Yeah,me too Brian,I can't get the development to full swing until I graduate that sucking Okinawan Shorin Ryu Karatedo class this May 26,and our Sensei get be mad if I go absent,good it's not just me developing it.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

The current plan is release the GEP missions in chronological order, which would be:

1) Pioneer 10 & 11 to Jupiter and Saturn
2) Mariner 10 to Venus and Mercury
3) Viking 1 & 2, orbiting and landing on Mars
4) Voyager 1 & 2 to Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune
5) Magellan to orbit Venus
6) Galileo to orbit Jupiter
7) Ulysses to polar-solar orbit via Jupiter
8) NEAR to orbit Near-Earth asteroid Eros
9) Cassini-Huygens to orbit Saturn, land on Titan

Will this also include Multistage2 autopilots? Some newbie orbinauts might want to have autopilot do the launch work for them?

SpaceEagle

Reaction score
Yes. Check the social group named "Grand Explorations REBORN" and you'll see we three what our working on.

SpaceEagle

Reaction score
Back now. Restarting project. I have sucessfully created a brand new spacecraft3 config file. Photos coming in later.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Do you still work with 4th Rock? It's been a while since he posted.

SpaceEagle

Reaction score
idk

---------- Post added 07-30-14 at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-29-14 at 03:56 PM ----------

SC3 converted:

Pioneer 10 & 11
Magellan
Galileo
NEAR

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Do you still work with 4th Rock? It's been a while since he posted.

4thRock is still alive and active :thumbup:

I don't post because of the way certain discussions went. I found no support for my ideas here and all the "help" I was getting only lead me to non-functioning solutions. So it became clear that OF was no longer the same place, thus I retreated to working solo. If people prefer to keep wallowing through the mud, let them, I've moved on...

Much better that way, I solve all problems by myself and do even better add-ons.

Currently I'm working on the Orion CEV, as originally planned in the Constellation Program.

That is a custom .dll vessel, because sc3 can't handle well the service module, the multiple VC views, UCGO and UMMU.
So I have a lot on my hands right now. C++ and the Orbiter API are not easy to work with.

There's not much I can do about Grand Explorations right now.
My only advice would be to try to get those sc3 configs as realistic as possible.
Don't bother with converting, it will only make config changes more difficult for others.
It offers no gain, apart from more liberty with naming.

Also setup a custom solar system and add some markers or bases for relevant planetary features per mission.

And setup the launchers as velcro. I'm getting better with velcro than with multistage.
With velcro your spacecraft starts with the scenario, so you can launch stuff with attachments, animations, etc, etc.

Also don't know if it will help, but NASA has a nice collection of 3D meshes (http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models).
It might fill some gaps if the original addon authors are unreachable to give permission.

Good luck!

Last edited: